Spending Review

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by dogdriver, Jul 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Comprehensive Spending Review has been agreed and a brief summary announced in Parliament by SofS.

The DEL will be:

08/09 34bn

09/10 35.3bn

10/11 36.9bn

(not including ops or defence modernisation fund).

SofS has also announced the agreement to build the two new carriers, Queen Elizabeth and the Prince of Wales, which will enter service in 2014 and 2016.

All three naval bases will be retained, albeit with some reductions to personnel.

A priority in the CSR period will be the improvement of accommodation for Service personnel.

2. Queen Elizabeth an Prince of Wales are not good names for ships. well according to my navy friends

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Prince Of Wales was lost due along with the Repulse of Singapore due to lack of aircover and a refusal to face the facts in modern (1942) Pacific type naval ops! Perhaps we'll lose that as well due to not having aircraft to fly off it!
    65000 tons isnt much in the carrier world, its almost as if they are being kept small so the Porridge wogs can bodge them and take twice as long without strikes counted in producing them!

4. The smaller they are, the less English sailors and marines there are on board to surrender to the Iranians...

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Too funny!

6. Those are interesting figures!

The equivalent figures from the last review (2004) are:

04-05 = £29.7 bn
    05-06 = £30.9 bn (+4%)
    06-07 = £32.1 bn (+3.9%)
    07-08 = £33.4 bn (+4%)

…and the reported figures for the next 3 years are:

08-09 = £34.0 bn (+1.8%)
    09-10 = £35.3 bn (+3.8%)
    10-11 = £36.9 bn (+4.5%)

So, that is one hell of a squeeze next year! I wonder what will give!

Litotes

Added: What I didn't include were the inflation figures. The RPI stands at just over 4% so we are standing still in real terms!

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Pound to a pinch of poo it will be bayonets and boots!

8. One thing that worries me about how the decide the budget, there is no 'rolling defence review'. Any defence review should set out the basics of whar is required for peacetime preparedness, then allow for current ops. Then each year a re-assessment of the assumptions the review was based on should be made to determine what changes there should be to the defence capability and hence budget. However if that happened, the government wouldn't have been able to so totally screw our armed forces, so that will not happen!

Ski.

9. Ugly, you're on a crusade, aren't you? :)

10. Did he mention anything about extra money for Forces accomodation ?

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Sorry mate but its my money you're spending now! I HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW WHAT ITS SPENT ON AND IF ITS DONE PROPERLY!
    Sorry caps locked on, not an intentional rant.
    If you are happy for the situation to remain the same then fine, I am not, I wish my money to be spent wisely and effectively. I'd rather it wasnt spent at all in either sand pit but as we are there then so be it, but misspend my money and I'll be watching like a hawk.
    Why no accountability for what goes on?
    Things like this are reasons I wont condone either of my sons entering the baggy green sausage machine! I'm glad to know that they feel the same. If I wasted money like that with little result (defense spending in general) I'd quite rightly be sacked.

12. Well, until you can provide a list of failed or useless projects then I'll take your opinion with a pinch of salt! You may find, after pushing through the general complaining all in the forces enjoy, that much of the stuff in service right now works and does the job required.

13. sounds like a lot but having read "Lions Donkeys and Dinosaurs" im sure the gov will waste most of it on things which dont work and we didnt need in the first place like 10,000 electric toothbrushes

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Agreed but when was it due in service and how much did it cost to put right in the first place? There probably isnt a handfull of kit that hasnt needed redesigning in some way at our expense after it was bought long before issue to the troops. Running down of spares for the SLRs and SMGs was the only reason we got L85A1 when we did, if the system had worked properly the A1 would be the A2 if you get my drift. HC3, Bowman, Challenger 1 fire control comp, any Chieftan engine. Merlin, Blue circle radar in Tornado. Need I go on!
    Wastage must stop amongst the services or eventually it will all come out and even the Telegraph will put it on the front page!

15. Lions, Donkeys and Dinosaurs is a flawed book authored by a bitter ex naval officer who has an EXTREMELY narrow experience of the military. Do not use it as a reliable source.