Spending Review

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Dygbi, Jul 13, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 12 July 2004

Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon today welcomed the announcement of the longest period of sustained real terms growth in planned Defence spending since the early 1980s. He stressed that the extra money will be invested in modernising Defence for the challenges of the 21st Century.
    The settlement announced by the Chancellor raises the Defence budget by £3.7 billion between 2004-05 and 2007-08 – a real terms increase of 1.4% a year.
    Responding to the settlement, Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon said:
    “I welcome this settlement, which demonstrates the Government’s continued commitment to Defence. It is also a vote of confidence in the superb performance of our Armed Forces and those who support them, across the world and at home.
    “The threat posed to the UK’s interests by international terrorism and failing states presents us with very real and immediate challenges. As well as sustaining our investment in new capability, this settlement enables the continued modernisation of our Armed Forces against a backdrop of evolving threats to our security and advances in technology.
    “My priority now is to drive forward the ambitious modernisation plans which this settlement makes possible. I described the vision in the White Paper I published last December. Next week I will announce what it will mean in practice.”
  2. Doubtless this sort of spiel will make all the difference in the world to some poor unfortunate under fire when he is down to his last few rifle rounds out in Iraq.
  3. Modernising defence for the 21st century?

Is that the same as , "Spend lots of money on yet another costly white elephant, either developed here, or sold to us by the cousins?
  4. THANK FU*Kmore money for Civil servants new chairs 8O
  5. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

What he really means: "If I can stay awake long enough, I will be announcing lots of cuts in a couple of months. This smokescreen will make the cuts appear more palatable as we are coming up to a general election."
  6. X-Inf

X-Inf War Hero Book Reviewer

What he really means is that he can't announce any cuts until the Trumpton strike is over and then he has to make the cuts before they become an issue in any General Election. He also means that he has such a hard job and we should all feel sorry for him.

Letters of support to the usual address.
  7. Next Buff Hoon rent-a-mob photocall.....synchronised closing of eyelids for the media's benefit!