Spelling and Grammar

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Solon_of_Athens, Jul 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ladies and Gentlemen,

Spelling and grammar are aids to communication: please don't get so wound up about spelling and grammar if the meaning is clear. Dull, dull, dull.

Pedant - a person who relies too much on academic learning or who is concerned chiefly with insignificant detail.

Funnily enough my small dictionary has the next entry as pedarist, which is accurate on so many levels.
  2. So, in summary, boring bugger?
  3. Abslolutely write
  4. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

The meaning may be clear, but why should individuals not take the trouble to check their grammar and spelling? Most of the guilty parties in this forum aspire to be officers; surely idleness and low standards should not be encouraged? It's the start of a slippery slope, which will end in text-speak - mrk my wrds m8.
  5. The phenomenal power of the human mind  

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid! Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh, and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt.
  6. I think the main point from this is when people have nothing useful to contribute to an argument then they just pick on the spelling and grammar. I think this is the equivalent of "Yeah---Whatever" and basically comes across as saying "I've nothing useful to contribute, but i can't shut the feck up!"
  7. I thought I was being subtle!
  8. I agree, but I don't think that every question asked by an aspiring officer should be met by a torrent of Ann Truss's finest anality...
  9. Well that was odd. I can't believe that actually worked.
  10. This post is very inspiring to me as a sort that wishes to aim for a life as an officer and have always felt slightly uneasy about my writing skills as a dyslexic, glad to see there are other that agree in principal with the idea of "effective communication".
  11. Sodomite off :?:
  12. Indeed.
    (and as others have noted, brevity here does not imply wit, but rather the inability to conjure up a meaningful contribution........................)
  13. Quite. Consider the charge of the Light Brigade: ineffective communication or an inability of a commander to understand that which was written? Apropos dyslexia; it has a myriad manifestations but the two officers of my acquaintance who suffer from the condition have not found it a hinderance.
  14. I hate grammar almost as much as I hate languages.... but oddly, I've always wanted to be one of those twats who can stop a conversation by correcting someone by saying "whom NOT who!" and then stand back, looking all smug, leaving the spouters who had fancied their academic prowess wondering what to say next.

But it's been a bit of a problem... since I hadn't a clue... but finally found out last weekend during a sad but very drunken conversation with a teacher. So here goes: use "whom" after a preposition (joining word - with, to, on, by) and you can also use it if you are refering to the object of a sentence but "who" can also be used in this instance.

"with whom have you been canoodling?"
    "you put your glove puppet in whom?"

Which all sounds a thousand times better if you use NAAFI verbs and Nouns... but you get the idea.

I hope you have as much (sad) amusement with this as I intend to have,- C

(And I now bet a pound to a penny that someone corrects all the spelling mistakes I've made in this post! - please do it in red!)
  15. ... and before you have a go... there are certain arguements and conversations that are just so dull that they need stopping!