Speedloader and loose rounds

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by mcflurry, Jun 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seems like a mong question but I'm just going to face the music...

Will the issue speedloader work with loose blanks? I know that it's designed for use with stripper clips of live rounds, which are longer than the blank ones.

2. Try it!!

3. Yes, but what is the point? It takes longer to put loose rounds into the speedloader, then shove them down compared to straight in the mag.

• Like Like x 1
  4. It doesn't actually. It's quicker to put them in a speedloader and press down once as opposed to feed and push back each round.

Edited because I'm a mong. It's no quicker for blanks.

5. I'm not sure if the speed loaded presses down the little plate on the from of the blank mag.

Its not any quicker using a speed loader without the clips anyway.

6. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

How often has ANYONE been in a situation where they said to themselves "Gosh if only I had a speedloader to fill this magazine!!"

7. No quicker even though you only have to push once?

8. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

takes longer to put live rounds in with stripper clips and no speedloader. I could have killed for a speedloader 20 years ago when it was needed

9. I must be missing something here.

I've never seen blanks come in strips, only loose in cardboard boxes. So you want to chuck a load of loose blanks which are shorter and not held together by a clip into a speed loader?

DO let us know how you get on...

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

10. You are, when on Ex in Belgium, Camp Lagland? we were issued blanks in plastic strips pretty much like the live stuff we're getting now for range work.

11. How odd.

I was under the impression that blank should never come on stripper clips as it's a safety feature designed to ensure soldiers physically check that each round loaded is a blank.

Mind you, that was told to me by an AT, so it could very well be bollocks ;)

12. That's why I'm asking- I'd rather not find out the hard way.

13. It ain't bollocks. There is a training film on the SBFS with some Ghurkas in it on what looks like a DTE around the Shot or Pip Park. The narrator points out that blank is never loaded by stripper clips to prevent contamination with live rounds, which he suggests does happen from time to time. Hand loading minimizes the risk. Also its bloody difficult to load and chamber a ball round in the yellow SBFS mags, but are these always used? My county doesn't have enough at the moment.

14. Aha, I knew there was a grain of truth in it somewhere, thank you.

Surely the SBFS (inc yellow mags) should always be used with blank. Fairly sure that's in big red letters in Pam 21 somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Probably. But initial scale of issue was 1 BFA and yellow mag per 3 rifles. The ACF have bought more though, but we still had to use some standard mags for blank on my last FTX. We didn't kill or maim anybody.