Speeding - What do RMPs do if they catch you on a garrison?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by griff013, May 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was caught just outside camp by an RMP doing about 35mph in a 30 zone. What can they do? :(

2. Cow

Cow LE

Civil offence so not much I'd expect apart from give your boss the good news. Unless your on a Garrison where they have some authority?

3. Must have been a very bored RMP

4. I was stopped inside camp by a total chopper saying that I was speeding, asked how he knew since he had no speed gun and throbber replied he knew how long it should take you driving at the correct speed to get from 'that lamp post to this lamp post', so I said 'brilliant', wound my window up and drove off. never heard anything afterwards.

5. Unless your already on the RSM's crap list..nothing. I was stopped doing a lot past Buller Bks in the Shot. Followed me all the way to my Qtr and tapped on my car window. He asked for my ID card as i was in civvys, no dramas as long as you show me yours! As he (he turned out to be a Capt) had no card on him and was in civvys i walked into my house and shut the door.
    Next day, called to the RSM's office, who said "if anyone asks you had a bollocking, dont do it again.....Or at least dont lead him to your house!" Fair one!! :twisted:

6. The MP was doing 35 in a 30? :oops:

Appart from tell your CSM or OC not a lot really. Also out of camp - in the UK? 8O

7. I just love these mythical tales of derring-do.

8. Find the fecker and wipe your cock on his curtains

9. if its never happened to you its always a myth!

10. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

MOD Plod use Gatsos on some of the sites I've worked. If you were on-site then it's not public road so you can't get points or anything, but since they're an official police force they can do you if they catch you off-site. They used to hide on the road in, just to make up the numbers.

On-site, I seem to remember something like a three-strikes rule where you lost parking priviliges or, possibly, just had your car pass removed meaning you couldn't drive into work anymore. Utter ballache.

11. In some of the Salisbury plain army towns MP's definitely used to hand out speeding fines on public roads around garrisons. I don't know if this still goes on and whether or not it was with agreement from local plod.

12. It will probably make some of you feel better hearing this...I got done for speeding in a marked RMP car by the MOD police...39 in a 30 = 3 points and a £40 fine.

13. Makes me feel better.

A question: My understanding is that MP's have juristiction over (all) forces personnel wherever said personnel happen to be, therefore if an MP catches a serviceman/woman speeding down a public road do they not have the right to impose a fine/points? Just wondering.

14. blind, unfortunately not as we don't have powers under the Road Traffic Act to impose such a fine on you.

Oh, and by the way, just for the record the title should be RMP, not RMP's. We are not the Royal Military Police's

15. Chuffed to feck. :D