Speeding fine

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by hairyarse2, Oct 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

I got clocked for speeding in Scotland. £60 fine and three points.
    (first time ever, in over thirty years of motoring.)
    I sent my license off to Strathclyde Police, to get my points put on, two weeks ago.
    Luckily, I listened to my wife for once, and sent it registered post.
    The Post Office seems to have lost it. I've been in touch with Strathclyde police, and they are still checking their mail, the post office website says it has not been signed for. Getting in touch with Strathclyde police is difficult, when I have got in touch,someone promises a supervisor will ring back.
    Still waiting.
    The Post Office is even fecking worse. Takes ages to speak to a real person.

Now, if my license is lost, how are the tax collecting plod supposed to put points on my license. Will I get a bigger fine for not providing my license within the time limit.
    Also, as my license was sent by Registered Post, how do I go about making a complaint in the strongest possible terms.
    I'm thinking in terms of £30,000 compensation for all the stress and bother I 've encountered. I've not slept for nearly 12 hours.
    Life is hell, at this moment in time.
    Help please.
    Only serious answers will be considered.

Probably :(
  2. My top-of-the-head thought is that it shouldn't make too much difference. If you've got proof it went into the system, then it's lost. In which case a fee of £17.50 will be due for a replacement licence - which will contain your endorsement. However, the best thing to do is to check initially with DVLA.
  3. Unless you can record telephone calls, I would suggest making all communications in writing (e-mail is fine) so that you can keep a record.

Paranoid, maybe, but what if they *are* out to get you?

All the best,

4. Postal strike?? Mail mountains? Ring a bell?
  5. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

You lucky man, woman, whatever.

I will not go there asking why you put your hands up to a speeding fine, since the Rozzers cant prove you were driving the car, and cant afford a hassle, merely relying on people saying "Yes sir, it was me".

Since they have lost your 'admission', claim amnesia. Ask for the pics. Ask if the Officer who nicked you has a history of talking to people nobody else can see. Tell them you cannot remember who was driving the car.

Tell them anything. For ages. They will lose interest before you do.
  6. Sorry mate, it's not the polis who add the points up here, it's the admin side of the court. That's who you should have sent it to.

Edited to add: and if it was registered post, I'd be surprised if that went amiss. Are you sure it wasn't recorded delivery....then you could be in bother.......

7. Sorry, I should have made myself clear, I sent it to the admin side of the court, and as advised by them, because the envelope contained cash, I sent it by Recorded Deliverey, business class.
    I wasn't aware there was a difference between Recorded Deliverey and Registered Post.

To TheIronDuke,
    I was in a hire car, I'd only picked it up 4 hours previously. My name was on the hire form.
  8. If it's not in the backlog you're fecked old boy! Recorded delivery only means a signature at the delivery point, ie proves it arrives. But, and it's a big but, it travels along with all the other first class mail. Registered is barcoded and signed for at every transition point, if it drops off the radar the last worker to sign for it is toast!

In the olden days I worked for the GPO and some were excellent at sniffing out cash in transit, if you get my drift? Also, big black market in licenses, and everyone who handled that letter could see where it was going...and guess its contents.

Bad feeling 'bout this one mate, sorry.
  9. `Fraid I have to agree with Barkers......you`re intercoursed!! There is no onus on the Royal Mail if an item is sent Recorded Delivery to actually guarantee delivery of said item. They only assure you that someone at the delivery address received it. Stupid...but there you go.

I would be writing to the Court soonest and explain what`s happened; hopefully someone there will have a sympathetic ear. I would also be getting in touch with DVLA which has been mentioned already.

Ther service from Royal Mail is utterly appaling but that for another day.
  10. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

My name is on the log book of both my cars. Registered to my address. They have yet to prove I was driving either car when it was clocked for speeding. Mostly because they take pics from the back.

So I cannot identify the driver. Sorry Officer, I really am.

They have lost your 'admission' and somebody has nicked your cash.

Result. Ask them for the pics. Then tell them to fuck off.
  11. Have you got a "tracking number" for the letter?

Track and Trace

It works. They must have a signature somewhere.

If they haven't, follow Iron Duke's advice, and tell them to fuck off.