Speed march with bergen-Practice?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by i_love_ftorres, Oct 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all, i'm yet to complete my AOSB briefing which is due towards the end of Nov, with an aim of attending OTC in the September 2010 intake so please be more than willing to tell me if i'm getting ahead of myself! But my question is this, would you recommend getting some practice speed marching with a weighted bergen through varied forested trail terrain? If so what type of bergen should i be using, what weight, what distance and what type of boots (i'm presuming standard issue army as they'll be what i'm wearing OTC?!?!).
    I ask as i'm worried that ill be in for a major shock if/when i get in, i consider myself to be very fit regarding cardio, i'm a keen club long distance runner and i've had to cut my running down from 50+ miles a week to 30 to factor in the upper body work i'm doing in the gym 3 times a week as i look like what most people imagine a long distance runner to be...a long streak of piss! I'm considering doing one speed march with bergen on a sunday. I've got my heart set on the Parachute Regiment and in all honesty i don't think i'm doing enough!
    Thanks for taking the time to read this, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. From what you've just written I think you'll be just fine at a UOTC. Especially given you have a year before entry! I know people at UOTCs who would struggle to run a bath..

Likewise, the advice given to potential officers before going to RMAS is NOT to train with weight. If, as you say, you are tall and wiry, then just crack on with the weights and the gym rather than lumping weight on your back..there are a number of people and threads on this site that will recommend courses of action to take to strengthen your load-carrying ability!

3. You'll be fine! That amount of training makes me feel like a right couch potato.

By all accounts you shouldn't do too much weighted marching or running as this will be introduced to you in increments during initial training and can otherwise damage you. Just concentrate on hauling yourself about with your arms and as you already run like there's no tomorrow I would have thought you'll be leading the pack fitness wise come Sandhurst.

By the way thats the intake I'm aiming for too. We may be on the same briefing as well, mine being the 23rd/24th of November.

4. dont do too much too soon.....will inevitably lead to injury you lanky streak of urine! you seem to have massive CV fitness, so carrying weight will purely be down to mental stamina! easy!

*edited, for being less than intelligent*

5. Oh God. Are there many people like this chap at RMAS? If yes then I'm done for.

6. Cheers for the heads up guys, looks like more of the gym and more protein shakes! Yay!! :roll: Comlag i'm on the following briefing on the 30/11-1/12, if i'm honest the MAP test worries me more, done well on the the numerical and verbal questions that came with the briefing info but the abstract reasoning!?!?! F*$ my old boots! Waiting for some books from amazon to arrive to hopefully enlighten me somewhat! Good luck Comlag hopefully be seeing you at the AOSB main board, and then Sandhurst. Somewhat off subject, channel 4 10.45 Generation kill. About the US Marine 1st Recon leading the first wave into Baghdad in the Gulf war 2, read the book which this drama is based on and it was excellent, reviews of the drama likewise.

7. Seconded. Although, the way I'm hearing it played at the moment, chaps like this biff themselves ASAP, then get Lucknowed for a year or two...

So to the OP- I'm in awe, but watch you don't overdo it, hey?

8. 30 miles a week? Before your briefing? You need to get out mate.

I consider myself to be as fit as I've ever been, and that's just from 2 games of football a week and 2x2mile runs. I don't go to the gym, just practise the sit-ups and push-ups required for the main board.

I just did the Briefing and the only forest trail you walk through is behind the obstacle course in case you need to take a leak without the group leader seeing.

9. Exwing if you consider yourself to be as fit as you'll ever be off 2x2 mile runs a week and a couple of games of football a week, you are either A. the love child of Lance Armstrong and Paula Radcliffe or B. Rather deluded and talking bullsh%t. :?

If you didn't take the time to read my original post allow me to remind you that my chosen sport is long distance running and seeing as how i'm training for a marathon in spring of next year with a target time of 2hr 50mins i can assure you 50 miles a week is barely enough let alone 30.

You may be happy with just doing the bare minimum to pass the required standard, but i am not.

10. I-L-Torres

You'll need to learn to read properly, and get off that high horse before you get to Sandhurst. Your comment "If you didn't take the time to read my original post" is somewhat amusing, given you misread his reply.

11. Uh oh. Chippy new member alert.

12. B_B how did i misread his reply? I think for Exwing to infer the 30 miles a week of running i do is slightly strange or in some way indicitive of me being rather lacking in a social circle an insult. I'd agree that 30 miles a week would be excessive if i was running purely to improve my CV fitness but i'm not, i do it because i want to competitive in what i do. And re Brizzle, i'll have to agree, slightly pedantic tone on re read, considered told. :oops:

13. Exwing said, " consider myself to be as fit as I've ever been,"

You read it as "Exwing if you consider yourself to be as fit as you'll ever be " which is not the same thing.

14. Exwing - "I consider myself to be as fit as I've ever been"

i_love_ftorres, your interpretation of this was "Exwing if you consider yourself to be as fit as you'll ever be"

He wasn't saying that is as fit as he'll ever be at all, merely that he was fitter than he'd ever been previously.

Good luck though.

15. Even Lumplard understood, and he's a baby Monkey..

You'll be fine as an Officer, youth...

:D