Speed Interview?

B42T

LE
I am having a speed interview on Thursday afternoon.
Basically I applied for a job last week with a major company just on the off chance, anyway they got back to me pronto and yesterday I had a telephone interview which went well and then I had to do an online test which I'm pretty sure I got 100% on.
So, they have phoned me this morning and said I have a speed interview tomorrow on whatsapp .

Basically has anyone experience/advice of this? Bear in mind I'm in my 50s so not a dynamo on stuff like this.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
No idea. Maybe they expect you to be clad in lycra on a spinning bike?

Good luck anyway :)

That's an absolutely crass method of part-process selection.
It's also for you to decide if they will become suitable employers.
High turnover employer perchance?
That's one question from you to them phrased around " How are YOUR retention stats?
2 way street.

Edit:
And furthermore, it's entirely possible you'll piss all over it with decades of adult work experience & maturity....at a fairly safe guess.

Last edited:

Chef

LE
That's an absolutely crass method of part-process selection.
It's also for you to decide if they will become suitable employers.
High turnover employer perchance?
That's one question from you to them phrased around " How are YOUR retention stats?
2 way street.

Edit:
And furthermore, it's entirely possible you'll piss all over it with decades of adult work experience & maturity....at a fairly safe guess.
Spot on with that. back in the 70s as part of a group intake in retail, after an introduction that made joining the House of Fraser seem like the best thing since sliced bread, one of the newbies (not me) at the 'Any questions' stage asked:

'If the job's so good why is annual staff turnover so high?'

The question was ignored but we found out why over the next few months.

What are you supposed to do if you can't get hold of any speed? Coke perhaps?

We never used to have job interviews on drugs when I was younger......

It's a bit like speed dating. You will have less time to alter their first impression, so make sure you hit the ground running. Have a test first to ensure that you have the technical aspects right, such as where you sit in relation to both the camera and the light sources. It might be an idea to use your PC rather than your phone, both to improve your set-up and to demonstrate that, despite being ancient, you are savvy enough with technology. You will have to install the WhatsApp app on your PC, and authorise it's use on every occasion via your phone. Go and give this a try right now so you can put that bit to bed and concentrate on the actual interview. Good luck.

NSP

LE
You will have to install the WhatsApp app on your PC, and authorise it's use on every occasion via your phone. Go and give this a try right now so you can put that bit to bed and concentrate on the actual interview. Good luck.
Really? I spark up WhatsApp Desktop and as long as my 'phone can "see" the internet I'm straight in. Don't have to touch my 'phone. Don't even have to have it in the same room.

Company I used to work tried speed interviews at the paper sift stage. It meant we talked, if only briefly, to a lot more candidates than previously. Probably helped at the margins; those whose CVs were interesting but didn’t really fit the role. It gave an extra opportunity to impress. Whether it strengthened the quality of candidate going forward to formal interview is a moot point.

P.O.N.T.I

War Hero
Company I used to work tried speed interviews at the paper sift stage. It meant we talked, if only briefly, to a lot more candidates than previously. Probably helped at the margins; those whose CVs were interesting but didn’t really fit the role. It gave an extra opportunity to impress. Whether it strengthened the quality of candidate going forward to formal interview is a moot point.

Sounds like a load of HR gobbledegookpusswankleshisenclaptrap.

I second @Joe_Private's comments.

Also make sure that your phone has 100% battery and is connected to wi-fi. I have seen people fail interviews because of poor connections and poor sound quality.

Really? I spark up WhatsApp Desktop and as long as my 'phone can "see" the internet I'm straight in. Don't have to touch my 'phone. Don't even have to have it in the same room.
The couple of times I've used it, it's sent a passcode to my phone. Perhaps it's been updated since, or perhaps I'm a bit of an IT Biff.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I swaer on mi horses life this is pukka gen. Back in the day I went to a recruitment firm in Holbourn to register for work with them, a little girl for it WAS she got my CV ,references and completed application form and then we generally discussed the vacancy for which I had an Interest , my paperwork was impeccable and on paper I was a good candidate for interview . Then she said oops I've missed something off and popped out to the back office for a second and came back with a pot of colored cardboard sticks , she slung them on the table and siad please pick these up in order of colour preference . Why? was my lively response because I'm nothing if not an inquiring wee soul. She said it's a psychometric test we now do . Oh yus said I , how does it work then ?
I'm not allowed to tell you , ok, what does it prove then . Oh it measures if you are a right person for the job ...

Aha , So my Fellowship certificate of my professional body ,my top class references and experience plus the copy of my Hayes and Meyers psychometric test could be wrong and I'm not a person who should be working in accounts then but your little sticks will confirm this or tell you that I realy should be an Astronaut then ?

Look I said , if you place me your company stands to obtains at least five k finders fee plus the chance to make a relationship which ensures that I look to you first when I need temps , and I will, but all this hinges on how I pick up colourd sticks ? yes said she firmly . Well that's sad because you are not an agency that I would be conformable using in any shape or form.

Duly placed in a similar post by another agency who then reaped the rewards. This was in The 1990s when consultants selling black magic options were rife in the City.

Yes I did get a chance to remind them of this lash up at a business convention later that year year when they were trying to sell their wares .

endure

GCM
If you're using a laptop for the interview don't use the built in webcam as it will give your prospective employer a splendid view up your nose. Get a separate webcam and set it up so it's facing you.

If you're using a laptop for the interview don't use the built in webcam as it will give your prospective employer a splendid view up your nose. Get a separate webcam and set it up so it's facing you.
Or just raise your laptop to a more sensible height above the desk.

morsk

LE
Are you sure its not speed dating and you are being groomed?

Basically I applied for a job last week with a major company just on the off chance, anyway they got back to me pronto and yesterday I had a telephone interview which went well and then I had to do an online test which I'm pretty sure I got 100% on.
So, they have phoned me this morning and said I have a speed interview tomorrow on whatsapp .

Basically has anyone experience/advice of this? Bear in mind I'm in my 50s so not a dynamo on stuff like this.
Yeah, I went for a child care nursery job last year and they were speed interviewing - I wore a Batman mask to show I was smart, resourceful, not afraid to be bold and able to project an air of mystery to keep the kids interested.

Yeah, I went for a child care nursery job last year and they were speed interviewing - I wore a Batman mask to show I was smart, resourceful, not afraid to be bold and able to project an air of mystery to keep the kids interested.

Clothing...thats what I forgot for the child care interview...

Well?

Latest Threads