Speed Distance Time Help!!

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by NWoo, Dec 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whilst running the risk of getting ruined for not doing this the 'right' way (this is the first time i have ever been on a forum so no idea how to ask questions yet)... can anyone help with the speed distance time problem I'm getting..... I get most of the questions I practice right where I can easily divide down the top and bottom numbers to get into 60, but the problem i have is when you cannot divide down i.e you cannot get a number to go into both and your stuck for example.... at 85mph how far would you travel in 24 minutes? the answer is apparently 34 miles.... but I dont get how to work that out in my head.... any help would be realy greatly appreciated...
  2. Eh? The first time you've ever been on a forum? and you choose the one you're most likely to get electronically molested? I call Sock Puppet and claim my QDJM.
  3. HHH

HHH LE

4. If you are travelling 85 miles an hour then you are travelling 85 miles in 60 minutes. So you want to know how far you will travel in 1 minute. 85/60=1.4166 then just multiply by number of minutes. 1.4166 x 24 = 34. Just remember to think about what 1 minute represents.
  5. 24 minutes is a bit less than 1/2 an hour so you'll go a bit less than 1/2 of 85 miles. 38 or something.
    It is often useful to do a calculation like that first to check it against your "proper working out"

"of = times"
  6. 85/60*24 is still an answer

85mph is 85 miles in an hour
    divided by 60 is your miles in a minute
    multiplied by 24 is the answer.

I think most would forgive not being able to do 85/60*24 in your head. So showing your working out still wins points.
  7. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

This hastily cobbled together pictogram should help.

Speed (85) x Time (24) = Distance 2040 seconds . Divide that by 60 to alter seconds to hours and there you go. 34

The triangular thing denotes how you should treat each question with regard to multiplication or division.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Hi, i've hopefully got my AOSB early on in the new year, been doing quite a lot of this type of thing.
    I got 34 miles, this is how i did it-
    I know that i go 85 miles in 1 hour
    so i do 42.5 miles in 30 mins
    then i divided that by 10 to get 4.25 miles in 3 minutes
    i need the distance for 24 minutes, and i know that there are 8 3's in 24, so i multiplied 4.25 by 8 to get 34 miles.
    Hope this helped.....
  9. Er, about to edit...you meant 34 miles. not minutes in your original.

Happy to add to the confusion, over what is a pretty basic subject.
  10. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

You're not wrong Arte. I'm looking at primary school maths through a fug of cider and doubting myself. Very odd indeed.

Bastarding apple juice.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Serious answer:

Learn the factors of 60.

24 is twice 12, 12 is 1/5 of 60.

So 12 mins at 85 mph will give you 1/5 of 85 - which is easily divisible by 5 (to give 17 - 5's into 80 go 16, plus 1 for the 5).

Double it to get 34. Use Bad Pixel's method to check your answer, and hey presto.

Now go and learn some ******* maths!
  12. The questions at Briefing and Main Board tend to divide nicely, at worst .5 maybe. As far as I can remember you're not furnished with a calculator and "at the board" it's a bit stiff to ask you to divide down to silly fractions.
  13. 16 x 45

I would start with 10 times 45 then add 6 times 45
    10 x 45 = 450

6 x 45 = fucknose = 3 x 90 = 270

450 + 270 = 720
  14. 450 + 30 + 240