Speed Distance Time Help!!

Whilst running the risk of getting ruined for not doing this the 'right' way (this is the first time i have ever been on a forum so no idea how to ask questions yet)... can anyone help with the speed distance time problem I'm getting..... I get most of the questions I practice right where I can easily divide down the top and bottom numbers to get into 60, but the problem i have is when you cannot divide down i.e you cannot get a number to go into both and your stuck for example.... at 85mph how far would you travel in 24 minutes? the answer is apparently 34 miles.... but I dont get how to work that out in my head.... any help would be realy greatly appreciated...

Eh? The first time you've ever been on a forum? and you choose the one you're most likely to get electronically molested? I call Sock Puppet and claim my QDJM.

If you are travelling 85 miles an hour then you are travelling 85 miles in 60 minutes. So you want to know how far you will travel in 1 minute. 85/60=1.4166 then just multiply by number of minutes. 1.4166 x 24 = 34. Just remember to think about what 1 minute represents.

24 minutes is a bit less than 1/2 an hour so you'll go a bit less than 1/2 of 85 miles. 38 or something.
It is often useful to do a calculation like that first to check it against your "proper working out"

"of = times"

85/60*24 is still an answer

85mph is 85 miles in an hour
divided by 60 is your miles in a minute
multiplied by 24 is the answer.

I think most would forgive not being able to do 85/60*24 in your head. So showing your working out still wins points.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer

This hastily cobbled together pictogram should help.

Speed (85) x Time (24) = Distance 2040 seconds . Divide that by 60 to alter seconds to hours and there you go. 34

The triangular thing denotes how you should treat each question with regard to multiplication or division.

Hi, i've hopefully got my AOSB early on in the new year, been doing quite a lot of this type of thing.
I got 34 miles, this is how i did it-
I know that i go 85 miles in 1 hour
so i do 42.5 miles in 30 mins
then i divided that by 10 to get 4.25 miles in 3 minutes
i need the distance for 24 minutes, and i know that there are 8 3's in 24, so i multiplied 4.25 by 8 to get 34 miles.
Hope this helped.....
Hannah

This hastily cobbled together pictogram should help.

Speed (85) x Time (24) = Distance 2040 .

The triangular thing denotes how you should treat each question with regard to multiplication or division.

Edit: hang on, just confused myself...
Er, about to edit...you meant 34 miles. not minutes in your original.

Happy to add to the confusion, over what is a pretty basic subject.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Happy to add to the confusion, over what is a pretty basic subject.
You're not wrong Arte. I'm looking at primary school maths through a fug of cider and doubting myself. Very odd indeed.

Bastarding apple juice.

Serious answer:

Learn the factors of 60.

24 is twice 12, 12 is 1/5 of 60.

So 12 mins at 85 mph will give you 1/5 of 85 - which is easily divisible by 5 (to give 17 - 5's into 80 go 16, plus 1 for the 5).

Double it to get 34. Use Bad Pixel's method to check your answer, and hey presto.

Now go and learn some ******* maths!

C

count_duckula

The questions at Briefing and Main Board tend to divide nicely, at worst .5 maybe. As far as I can remember you're not furnished with a calculator and "at the board" it's a bit stiff to ask you to divide down to silly fractions.

And we wonder why there's a shortage of maths teachers!

Every soldier and Officer should be able to do SDT in their head without a problem.

M

Mr_Logic

Whilst running the risk of getting ruined for not doing this the 'right' way (this is the first time i have ever been on a forum so no idea how to ask questions yet)... can anyone help with the speed distance time problem I'm getting..... I get most of the questions I practice right where I can easily divide down the top and bottom numbers to get into 60, but the problem i have is when you cannot divide down i.e you cannot get a number to go into both and your stuck for example.... at 85mph how far would you travel in 24 minutes? the answer is apparently 34 miles.... but I dont get how to work that out in my head.... any help would be realy greatly appreciated...
Were you not paying attention at school? You need to get the basics right and perhaps have a handrail to refer to. For example, if you are going at 60 mph you are doing 88 feet per second. This is based upon there being 60 minutes in an hour and 5280 feet in a mile. Divide 5280 by 60 and hey presto, 88 feet per second. In metric a mile is 1,609.344 metres so at 60 mph you will be doing 26.8224 metres per second.

So to your example, 85 x 1609.344 = 136794.24 metres (in an hour), divide that by 60 and you get 2279.904 metres (in a minute at 85 mph). 24 (minutes) x 2279.904 = 54717.696 metres. Divide that by 1609.344 = 34 miles. Play around with this a bit. If you are doing 100 mph, you are doing a mile every 36 seconds. (3600 seconds in an hour divided by 100). If you are doing 180 kph, you are doing 50 metres per second (180 x 1000 = 180000 and divided by 3600 = 50).

However, if you can't work it out while sat calmly at a desk, you'll probably not manage it at AOSB during a pressured planning exercise. While many we think that to be an unnecessarily snide and judgemental remark, it is the point of what is a selection process.

FFS - 24 is a multiple of 6, 6 is 1/10th of 60 - therefore 24 is 4/10ths of 60.

At 85mph you travel 85miles in 60 minutes and 8.5miles in 1/10 of 60mins - in 24min you cover 4/10ths of 85 or 4 x 8.5 which is, funnily enough, 34miles.

The trick with that sort of test question is to identify what easily worked with fraction of an hour the time component is a multiple of - it will usually be something fairly simple like a tenth or a twentieth (10% and 5% respectively if that makes it simpler).

M

Mr_Logic

Jesus, my school maths teacher would have been all over your ass.

You have described to the nearest millimetre the distance that is travelled at 85mph. I put it to you that you could not possibly construct a practical test that runs for 24 minutes at 85 mph and get the same distance travelled to the nearest millimetre with repeatable results. In 34 miles, one millimetre is a ridiculous level of "accuracy" and bears no resemblance to the practical application.

What the AOSB will be looking for is whether you are going to make the RV 35 miles away in the 24 minutes you've got to get there. No you're not, you need to go a bit faster, or alter the plan based on the fact you're not going to make the RV. You will still be a mile away when the SQMS is driving off with your bullets and rations.
Er, yes, that is called accuracy. I thought that was the point of the question? Was there anything I posted that was factually incorrect? I have always understood precision in terms of grid references, weapon ranges, frequencies, regimental numbers, NSNs, etc, to be a good thing. In regard to what AOSB want, I seemed to get by on the planning task. Once the DS starting grilling me on the options available and as to why I had chosen the one I selected, I could justify them based on sound time and distance calculations. One of my colleagues struggled with the detail and responded to DS questions with a series of "I don't know" answers. He failed that RCB, I passed it. Draw your own conclusions.

In reply to your other comments, I don't quite see why you think there is a need to construct a practical test. However, I fail to see why that could not be constructed, but what would it tell you that you have not already calculated?

Lastly, if your maths teacher had come anywhere near me, he would be eating mashed up banana with broken fingers for a while.

I like roadsters simplification, but it really comes down to what the person feels comfortable with.

16 x 45
8 x 90
4 x 180
2 x 360
1 x 720

16 = 4 x 4 45 = 9 x 5

we can have 4 x 9 = 36 times 4 x 5 = 20

36 x 20 = 72 x 10 = 720

Latest Threads