Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Speed Cameras

SparkySteve said:
dingerr said:
The white marks in the centre of or on either side of the carriageway are used to determine the speed, i believe each mark equates to 5mph when the two photos are compared.

When we used to get tickets in the bomb vans the chief clerk used to send them back to the issuing force unsigned with a standard letter saying we were responding to an incident - never heard of one being chased up.

Surely the mark would equate to a set distance, not a speed?

Both, each mark represents a set distance and speed. When the two photos are taken it is done at a set time difference. You can then use each mark to show the speed the vehicle was doing, the more lines they cover, the faster they are going. When I did my speed safety course after getting caught doing 39mph in a 30mph zone (naughty me), we were told that each mark represents 10mph.

the_guru said:
semper said:
I always drive at least 10 mph below speed limit through speed checks and Cameras.
And that is EXACTLY why they are dangerous. It is idiots like you that cause accidents.

well I am not going to get caught out just to please you :roll:

outside of such zones I drive normally and keeping with flow of traffic.

instead of insulting me you direct your vitriol at these facts below.

Speed Cameras don't work, end of, they are a road tax generating machine, they do not reduce accidents, catch out drunk drivers, unlicenced, unisnurance, bogus plates, foreign cars and have no descretion, its is also a self perpetuating system that finance itself and contribute nothing to the country except to provide employment and is a drain on personal finances, so instead of lambasting me, you should direct your lambasting at the Government that thought this scheme up !

semper said:
I drove through a Speed Camera well below the speed limit, 30 mph through a 40 Camera, but a car drove through above the speed limit and the camera flashed while we are both in the same striped zone at the same time.

I am concerned as to whether they do check the Photo or do they just automatically send the ticket out to anyone in that zone anyway, as I would not want a ticket as well as that other bloke, I hope that is not the case.

does anybody in the know can help to clear that up ?

I wouldn't worry, its all worked out on distance,speed,time.

You'll be in the clear.

The same happened to me a few months ago (2 lanes, transit van overtaking above the limit, me below the limit, camera flashed), I heard nothing about it so I assume plod worked out which vehicle was speeding.

The system does work!

semper said:
the_guru said:
semper said:
I always drive at least 10 mph below speed limit through speed checks and Cameras.
And that is EXACTLY why they are dangerous. It is idiots like you that cause accidents.

Speed Cameras don't work, end of, they are a road tax generating machine, they do not reduce accidents, catch out drunk drivers, unlicenced, unisnurance, bogus plates, foreign cars and have no descretion, its is also a self perpetuating system that finance itself and contribute nothing to the country except to provide employment and is a drain on personal finances, so instead of lambasting me, you should direct your lambasting at the Government that thought this scheme up !

To be fair, someone doing 20mph in a 30 will be causing a lot of rage within other drivers. Do the speed limit, and be safe in the knowledge that you are being both lawfull AND considerate.

As to above, how can a mark in the road represent the speed of a car?? Speed = Distance / Time, therefore you need to measure the two times of a peice of the car passing set marks, the markings on the road are surely just to provide reference points??

SparkySteve said:
semper said:
the_guru said:
semper said:

To be fair, someone doing 20mph in a 30 will be causing a lot of rage within other drivers. Do the speed limit, and be safe in the knowledge that you are being both lawfull AND considerate.

As to above, how can a mark in the road represent the speed of a car?? Speed = Distance / Time, therefore you need to measure the two times of a peice of the car passing set marks, the markings on the road are surely just to provide reference points??

Exactly, the distance is shown by the photo and the time is set, therefore you can work out the speed.

As the time is constant and the distance between the lines is also constant you can work out the speed per line crossed and multiply by the number of lines crossed between the two photos.

Clear?

SparkySteve said:
Not yet, how does a line equal a set mph?

The camera knows where you should be if you are below its calibrated speed. The sensors are triggered if your vehicle passes between the two sensors too quickly. The white line in the picture will be in the same place everytime. If you are going too fast, your car will appear further past relative to the line. If the picture has two cars side by side for example, One car doing 40mph and one doing 50mph, the faster car will be further ahead. If you knew where, say a car doing 40mph should be on that picture, it would be possible to know how fast a car is going if it isn't in the place it should be.

109mph, £250, 5 points -Mobile laser. Clear, straight Sunday morning dual carriageway. My car now has DAS and DIRCM fitted ;)

Thanks for clearing up my mong-cloud inside my head, Flash!

109mph. Who where you trying to impress? (Says the bloke who has had to re-take his test)

comedy dave said:
Speed limits are Maximums not minimums

Isn't there some lee-way with Gatsos et al to take into account when tyres are hot?

Ahh. Thats where I've been going wrong. Each time my points drop off, I think it's a 'top-up' scheme.

I think cameras are set up for a % above whatever the speed limit is (takes into account the inaccurancies of speedometers etc). I'm sure a friendly blackrat can tell us exactly what the 'clincher' speed is. ;)

I'm sure to increase revenue, the agencies can reduce the % though.

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
I think cameras are set up for a % above whatever the speed limit is (takes into account the inaccurancies of speedometers etc). I'm sure a friendly blackrat can tell us exactly what the 'clincher' speed is. ;)

I'm sure to increase revenue, the agencies can reduce the % though.

It depends on the police force / area :roll:

msr

I have even heard some are set to trigger at 1 mph above the speed limit.

when the Camera started out there was a greater dergree of tolerance even up to 40 mph, in order to get them accepted, the tolerance has now been tightened, hence my caution when driving past them, I simply don't trust them, the system is open to abuse as they make the courts system so punitive and onerous as well as expensive, that it would be easier to roll over and accept the points and fine, for a quiet life, when that happens systematic abuse of power become rife, with no checks and balance, the appeals system is very obscure, unless you know the ins and out of traffic law, you are screwed basically, thats wrong IMO and will turn ordinary people against the Police by not cooperating with them as it is already happening in some areas, no wonder the country is the state it is in with regards to crime level, prevention and offences committed.