Speed Cameras

Red Rabbit.. yes lots of people are doing this. However if you rack up alot of speed camera / congestion charges then your french registration number will be put on the Police National Computer and you could then be stopped using ANPR and stuck on.

There is a get out if you have the balls to go for it, checkout the MCN motorbike site for details if still there.

If the Registered keeper is not the driver, he should complete, sign and return the NIP naming the driver. Then, when the named driver subsequently receives their NIP, they may wish to use the following procedure.

However, if the Registered Keeper was driving at the time of the alleged offence, there is nothing preventing them from completing a similar witness statement.

It is advisable to write on the blank and uncompleted NIP/S172 notice only the following words: “Please see the attached” - then attach it to the following statement and return them both via Special Delivery.

WITNESS STATEMENT
(C.J. Act 1967, s9 MC Act 1980, ss. 5A (3a) and 5B. M.C. Rules 1981, r70)

Name:........................... Occupation:................

D.o.B:........................... Over 18
This statement consisting of 1 page and attached NIP/ S 172 Notice is true to the best of my knowledge and belief and I make it knowing that if it is tendered in evidence I shall be liable to prosecution if I have wilfully stated in it anything which I know to be false or do not believe to be true.

Dated....................... Signed................................

Their Ref: NIP reference number
Vehicle registration number

Dear Chief Constable,

Further to the above Notice of Intended Prosecution: I confirm that the following individual was driving the above vehicle at the time of the alleged motoring offence:

ALL OF THE DETAILS REQUIRED ON THE NIP – name, address, date of birth, driver number etc. etc.

As this statement is provided under threat of criminal penalty [Funke v France] and as I have not received the caution required by paragraph 10.1 of PACE Code C [Mawdesley -v- the Chief Constable of Cheshire [2004] 1 All E.R. 58], I make this statement on the express understanding that it shall not be used or disclosed in any proceedings of whatever nature against myself.

Yours sincerely,

Signature of driver

I believe the case of Funke v France is still at the appeals court. To be honest if you have a clean licence take the points.

Blues_cav has quoted an oft used ploy.

The problem is that it forgets the fact that by returning the forms properly completed, all you are doing is choosing to accept a fixed penalty and three points on your licence instead of going to court.

If you don't complete the forms properly, you're not taking advantage of the opportunity to escape a court appearance Thus, all that will happen is that the registered keeper will be summonsed to court to face one of two charges:
a) driving in excess of the speed limit.
or
b) failing to give details of the driver at the time of the offence.

The first one will give you points, whilst the second one won't, but unless you're desperate to keep your licence it might well be better just to play the game, as Blues_cav says in his second post.

I thought you could ask to see the calibration certificate of the camera (maybe only the mobile ones?) and that if every speeder did that the system would collapse? Or is that urban myth?

Also - I know that in some Forces so many tickets are issued that if you get caught in teh second half oc teh month they may not follow up if you just ignore the NIP.

Also - The NIP has to be issued in 14 days to registered user, as stated previously.

Also - It's not speed that kills but inappropriate speed. Else country lanes would be sites of carnage every day, to be causing many of them to be reduced to 40 or 50 mph zones.

Finally - my, and I suspect many peoples, objection isn't that we get caught for speeding - as some of you say, do the crime do the time - but that most people caught now are respectable (and yes, middle class) generally law-abiding people. Meanwhile the uninsured, untaxed, un-MoTd roam around freely, not even troubled by the speed tickets because they're probably not even registered at their address or in their name! And we all know that the Traffic Police are being reduced in number. Policing is traditionally 'by consent of the community' - not by automation!

It is all here. Read carefully and decide if it is worth contesting a NIP:

http://www.pepipoo.com/

Many areas offer a speed awareness course (that you pay for) to first time offenders in place of 3 points.

Nobody can really dispute the case for stopping excessive speeding but as with much to do with this Control Freak government it really has got out of control, being run by self serving jobsworths. Speed cameras only exist in such numbers because the Home Office decided to reduced traffic police numbers hugely, diverting them on to "higher added value" work and justified this decrease in humans by an increase in cameras.

That in turn created the dull evil that are "Safety Camera Partnerships" that rapidly became self interested and self perpetuating bureacracies. Then the Government took many road funding ability and decisions away from Local Authorities so that in many cases road improvements can now only happen if there is "safety" benefit, which is why there are so many unwanted nonsense roadworks are cropping up: offset roundabouts, kerb build outs, nonsense speed restrictions in rural areas and of course cameras. Lots of cameras.

It also means that in places where locals really are crying out for things to get changed nothing happens unless there is a fatality, serious injuries or some scabby politician is wound up to make a fuss. For six years my wife and a group of many others have been trying to get a pedestrian crossing built on a busy road near two schools. Nothing happens apart from endless letters and meetings explaining why nothing can happen.

One mile down that very road (which is a mostly straight and wide A road running through open country by then) as if by magic a 30 mph limit appears for a three mile stretch enforced by static and mobile camera units who lurk like vultures. The "safety case" for this was built around a single multiple fatality that actually came down to some old fool overtaking a tractor on one of the few blind bends and being crushed by an oncoming HGV. At that point the HGV was labouring uphill at below 20mph and the old fool was not doing much more.

So now we have the worst of all worlds: a huge money grabbing machine that tends to go for the soft targets and theoretical issues whilst leaving real world road safety problems on the "too difficult" pile. Does any of that sound familiar??

Makes me want to puke.

Blogg said:
It is all here. Read carefully and decide if it is worth contesting a NIP:

http://www.pepipoo.com/

Many areas offer a speed awareness course (that you pay for) to first time offenders in place of 3 points.
I did one a couple of weeks ago - 34mph in a 30 zone - main road, downhill gradient . . .

Point is, you don't get to ask for these (unless it's different outside the Thames Valley Police area). They are offered to offenders identified as fitting a specific profile - nobody on my course under 40, all [I think] 1st time offenders, nobody more than a couple of MPH over the 10% margin of error etc.

So - if you've not had an invite already, you're prob'ly not gonna get one. :(

2hr course was interesting because accordin to the Trainers' stats, re-offending among those trained in this way is vastly less frequent than among those flashed and fined.

Of course, if you do re-offend - you're in BIG trouble.

Blues_Cav said:
There is a get out if you have the balls to go for it, checkout the MCN motorbike site for details if still there.

If the Registered keeper is not the driver, he should complete, sign and return the NIP naming the driver. Then, when the named driver subsequently receives their NIP, they may wish to use the following procedure.

However, if the Registered Keeper was driving at the time of the alleged offence, there is nothing preventing them from completing a similar witness statement.

It is advisable to write on the blank and uncompleted NIP/S172 notice only the following words: “Please see the attached” - then attach it to the following statement and return them both via Special Delivery.

WITNESS STATEMENT
(C.J. Act 1967, s9 MC Act 1980, ss. 5A (3a) and 5B. M.C. Rules 1981, r70)

Name:........................... Occupation:................

D.o.B:........................... Over 18
This statement consisting of 1 page and attached NIP/ S 172 Notice is true to the best of my knowledge and belief and I make it knowing that if it is tendered in evidence I shall be liable to prosecution if I have wilfully stated in it anything which I know to be false or do not believe to be true.

Dated....................... Signed................................

Their Ref: NIP reference number
Vehicle registration number

Dear Chief Constable,

Further to the above Notice of Intended Prosecution: I confirm that the following individual was driving the above vehicle at the time of the alleged motoring offence:

ALL OF THE DETAILS REQUIRED ON THE NIP – name, address, date of birth, driver number etc. etc.

As this statement is provided under threat of criminal penalty [Funke v France] and as I have not received the caution required by paragraph 10.1 of PACE Code C [Mawdesley -v- the Chief Constable of Cheshire [2004] 1 All E.R. 58], I make this statement on the express understanding that it shall not be used or disclosed in any proceedings of whatever nature against myself.

Yours sincerely,

Signature of driver
Another way I tried a few years ago was to fill in the details lof the driver of the vehicle as required on the NIP and then fail to sign the document.

My understanding was that you are legally required to declare the driver on the NIP but there is no legal recourse to make you sign the document.

True or not? Who knows but after repeated attempts to get me to sign the document many years ago I think the Hants police filed in under too difficult and that was the last I heard.

I do not make a habit of speeding but on the ccassion in question I was getting squeezed between to HGV in Lnae one of a dual carriageway and a third HGV closing up fro behind in lane 2. I felt a little vulnerable and accelarated through the gap to give myself sapce ans room to react to traffic. Unfortunately as I did so I popped over the limit by 8 mph in my manouevre and was sent an NIP.

Should I have stayed where I was and risked the accident caused by two HGV vehicles or take the chance and get out of the situation. I'll take the latter option every time.........

semper said:
if i do see a police speed check or a camera, i DELIBERATELY drive 10 mph or so below speed limit as a form of protest and DEPRIVE the Govt of MY money.
What an incredibly stupid thing to do. I thought it was only dotty old birds in Nissan Micras that did that.

Don't start complaining if your car gets rammed up the arrse by the delivery driver behind you who's working to a tight schedule! :x

NO NO NO sorry but you are talking arse, lots of factors determine impact etc, etc. You been watching the telly too much. Modern cars can stop a LOT quicker than the highway code states for stopping distances. 8O
OP is probably dead now with a bunch of flowers being nailed to the tree he hit....

Indeed they can, and doubtless do on a minute to minute basis. ABS, in my view, is one of the best pieces of safety equipment invented. After so far coming up for 1.3 million miles over 45 years on the road, I have never invoked ABS in dry conditions, but certainly sometimes (though very rarely) on black ice or compacted snow. Back in the day, cadence or pulse on/off with gentle braking came into good use.
So, I agree with you.

However no matter how many inbuilt safety features we find in modern cars, the bottom line is 1100 kg to over 2000kgs of flying metal, if piloted by a "steering wheel operator" rather than a competently wired in "driver"....will kill.
In my personal opinion, modern cars are over-loaded with driver aids and are generationally diluting road craft & speed awareness.

Anyway, regarding the OP, there is a fair to middling chance he'll get off Scot free, but if not, man up and take the 3 points +£100 or as has also been suggested try for a speed course if offered.

And I just effin' noticed the effin' post is effin' ancient.

Last edited:
Anyway, regarding the OP, there is a fair to middling chance he'll get off Scot free, but if not, man up and take the 3 points +£100 or as has also been suggested try for a speed course if offered.

Yes, I think those points will have long since expired. He's probably on an entirely different set of speeding points now.

Holy thread bump, Batman!

The yellow vested Frenchie types switch operations to a new front.

Yellow vests knock out 60% of speed cameras
I got flashed by a camera in Burgundy in August by a new camera that was not shown in my road atlas. Two days later I went back to take my son to the TGV station and every speed camera on that road had green paint sprayed on their lenses. Macron had just reduced the speed limit on country roads from 60mph to 50, and the locals were not happy...

OP is probably dead now with a bunch of flowers being nailed to the tree he hit....

Indeed they can, and doubtless do on a minute to minute basis. ABS, in my view, is one of the best pieces of safety equipment invented. After so far coming up for 1.3 million miles over 45 years on the road, I have never invoked ABS in dry conditions, but certainly sometimes (though very rarely) on black ice or compacted snow. Back in the day, cadence or pulse on/off with gentle braking came into good use.
So, I agree with you.

However no matter how many inbuilt safety features we find in modern cars, the bottom line is 1100 kg to over 2000kgs of flying metal, if piloted by a "steering wheel operator" rather than a competently wired in "driver"....will kill.
In my personal opinion, modern cars are over-loaded with driver aids and are generationally diluting road craft & speed awareness.

I'd say that such things as sound insulation and higher driving positions do more to encourage speeding.

Driver aids? I'm in favour of them. What's missing is adequate training at the point of purchase and in the aftermarket.

No driver aid will counter poor driving habits such as mid/outside lane hogging, however.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ObnoxiousJockGit Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 29
TaffJ Travel 23
Berlin_104s Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 51