Speed cameras do what??

Plod spots scamera, crashes
22/05/2006
Driving at 90mph in a 30mph zone, a police officer spots a speed camera, hits the brakes, loses control, and crashes. And they still claim speed cameras save lives...

PC Scott Warburton of the Lancashire police admitted he wasn't attending to an emergency, and that he didn't have his blue lights or sirens on, as he was speeding at three times the speed limit. When he noticed the camera, he slammed on the brakes, lost control of the Ford Galaxy marked police-car, and crashed into two signposts on the central reservation.

Could have happened to anyone, really, but why in the world would you do such a thing in a marked police-car, which has a data recorder? The recorder showed that the MPV was moving at 91mph "10 seconds before the accident", the court report read. The officer was temporarily suspended and will probably lose his driving license.

So how exactly are speed cameras supposed to help save lives, again?

:lol: :lol:

If he was doing 90mph in a 30mph limit, especially when he wasn't attending an emergency then he deserves not to be around any longer to be suspended from the police force.

Remember that the speed camera helps prevent people exceeding the limit in a set area, from possibly 10mph over the limit, not 60mph. They're not little money spinners, they can be useful outside schools etc. However there needs to be a recognition of the need for real policing (and policemen not doing 90mph in 30)

So they regularly check these data recorders then?

I used to cycle to work but as soon as they put the speed cameras up (15 on a 4 mile stretch of road), I had a near miss every mile for 3 days and the following weekend I bought a car.

The deaths on the road were caused by joyriders and cameras haven't stopped them

bumps said:
Plod spots scamera, crashes
22/05/2006
Driving at 90mph in a 30mph zone, a police officer spots a speed camera, hits the brakes, loses control, and crashes. And they still claim speed cameras save lives...

PC Scott Warburton of the Lancashire police admitted he wasn't attending to an emergency, and that he didn't have his blue lights or sirens on, as he was speeding at three times the speed limit. When he noticed the camera, he slammed on the brakes, lost control of the Ford Galaxy marked police-car, and crashed into two signposts on the central reservation.

Could have happened to anyone, really, but why in the world would you do such a thing in a marked police-car, which has a data recorder? The recorder showed that the MPV was moving at 91mph "10 seconds before the accident", the court report read. The officer was temporarily suspended and will probably lose his driving license.

So how exactly are speed cameras supposed to help save lives, again?

:lol: :lol:
Galaxy? I didn't realise that those padmobiles actually went that fast

Crabby - get real, Speed Cameras are money spinners because of where they are located. They could be very useful but they are located to maximise income not encourage sensible driving. Speed doesn't kill - bad driving kills, and whilst most bad drivers are speeding so are many good drivers. We need more police on the roads and less cameras (except around places where they can make a contribution).

They hung Dick Turpin for highway robbery 8O

crabby said:
Remember that the speed camera helps prevent people exceeding the limit in a set area, from possibly 10mph over the limit, not 60mph. They're not little money spinners, they can be useful outside schools etc.
How naive you are on this matter, I recently moved from Swindon(speed camera city) having been caught four times in a year, 33 in a 30, 35 in a 30, 44 in a 40 and 55 in a 40 zone (you can see from the last one I`d lost hope), lost my licence and job, it cost me £240 in fines but its cost the government a lot more in benefits because as a recovery mechanic I am unemployable. I have never come across a camera near a school, old peoples home, or kids playground (where people normally watch their speed, hence no chance of revenue), they are mostly situated on long straights with a blind bend at the end. the company I worked for lost three people last year. The courts won`t accept tacho charts as evidence that a driver wasn`t speeding even though these are supposed to be legal records. On the mobile vans the cameras are set up using a built in levelling device however if there is a slight movement on board ie: the operator reaching for his flask, it will upset the camera and give a false reading (I have this from a Police source). In theory speed cameras are a good idea to punish people who speed in certain areas but they are being abused by this government to generate cash from an easy target. :frustrated:

I agree slick, sorry to hear your bad luck by the way.
Near where i live there is a straight quiet stretch of road, not an accident spot in the least. Around a mile further on you approach the small town which is always busy with traffic and pedestrians plus a large school, yet theres not a camera to be seen. :x

Galaxy? I didn't realise that those padmobiles actually went that fast
The 115 brake horse turble (as mrs RHC calls them) diesels most certainly do, especially downhill with a tailwind, a mid life crisis and a deathwish.

Top gear blurted out on Sundays program that the reason you see often see congestion signs on the the M25 when there isn't any congestion is as follows.

When they put that sign up using their computer it automatically drops the speed to 50 and 60 mph and turns the speed cameras on on the gantrys.

Not making money ......... my ARRSE!!!

J

well i for one would support a vigilante group against mobile speed cameras. only out on weekends, hidden around a slight bend at the bottom of a long downhill motorway section ... i dream of taking them out with milan. fixed sort of make sense if they are present in 'black spots' but mobiles are just revenue makers - they are rarely out in bad weather and when they are they are rarely in a 'dangerous' stretch of road

oh, thank you to every van and truck who has ever parked between the van window and the road!

BBear

LE
Kit Reviewer
When I was back in school we used to have lectures about anything and everything on a Tuesday before lunch, once we had a copper who had been responsible for Yorkshires' (I think...) traffic program. He gave us the "why you shouldn't drink or drive" lecture, then the questions opened...

It was 60 minutes of 17/18 year olds, relatively well clued up, giving this poor sod hell over Gatzos. He maintained that it would be a silly thing to believe that the camera's were there to make money, as all the proceeds from catching "lawbreakers" would go directly to maintaining, or increasing the number of, speed cameras. As far as I'm aware this is mostly the case. Someone mentioned Clarkson, even he has suggested that for the 30 something million quid the cameras pull in it's not worth the effort for the government to use them as a money maker.

Personally, I think they're an utter money maker. The government will try to get every last penny out of you, so they can afford very comfy chairs for civil servants to sit on. One of the things we picked the copper on was the location of the cameras, he swore blind that they were only put at blackspots. Which is bollocks. Then he left, spouting something about statistics and relative proportions.

BiGbAddAbOOm said:
Top gear blurted out on Sundays program that the reason you see often see congestion signs on the the M25 when there isn't any congestion is as follows.

When they put that sign up using their computer it automatically drops the speed to 50 and 60 mph and turns the speed cameras on on the gantrys.

Not making money ......... my ARRSE!!!

J
They seem to do it every day between Junc 16 (M40) and Junc 15 (M4), which funnily enough has a camera bank fitted to the first gantry after the M40 joins... You have been warned, as it is very sensitive, I got flashed last month in the car at an indicated 75ish (with no limits up) No ticket arrived though (phew) What really confuses me is that the operator is obviously on the Jamaican Woodbines, because most (clear sunny) days the signs flash the word...FOG.

I'm a firm believer that speed cameras cause accidents. On my way home, there's a section of motorway with a speed camera. There's always congestion before it - why? Because the numpties who are speeding immediately before it jam their brakes on, causing the car behind to brake harder, causing the one before that to brake harder; and so it goes until 20 cars back they're either stationary or stationary and bent. Every single time! :frustrated:

Police are to be allowed to put speed cameras on sections of road where there have been no crashes, under planned changes to rules on their use.

The new rules would see the maximum distance of mobile camera sites extended from 5km to 20km were reported in the Times newspaper.

Police chiefs said existing rules only let cameras be used after people were killed or injured

But critics claim the cameras are merely used for revenue-raising, Government figures show there were more than 3,500 deaths on Britain's roads in 2003, up from 3,431 in the previous year, whilst at the same time the number of speed camera fines reached two million.

Under the new proposals Police will still have to show a stretch of road has a history of casualties under the draft changes. But they will no longer only be allowed to place cameras in the immediate area where the accidents have taken place.

Richard Brunstrom, head of road policing for the Association of Chief Police Officers, told the Times: "We have a particular problem with motorcyclists slowing down for the cameras but then speeding up and dying on the next corner."

We need to keep people's speed down along the whole stretch of road."

He acknowledged the death rate on British roads had not been cut despite there being around 6,000 cameras already in use.

"We have got cameras at almost all the identifiable casualty hotspots and yet deaths haven't gone down because they are happening elsewhere."

The RAC Foundation said speed camera rules should be more flexible, but that police should also look into other road safety measures. Source BBC

He acknowledged the death rate on British roads had not been cut despite there being around 6,000 cameras already in use.
Says it all really.

See also this

http://www.pepipoo.com/Hidden_speed_traps.htm

Hope the link works, apologies if not

Isn't there a Police Constabulary up north somewhere where there are no speed cameras but road accidents and deaths have fallen over previous years, but all the other Constabularies (that have speed cameras) have all reported increases during the same time period?

There sure is! I believe it is Durham that has no speed cameras.
As everyone knows, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics!
And its a proven fact that 78.2 % of all statistics are made up on the spot.
Although most people find it is very hard to argue with a zero.
Zero cameras, less road deaths!
I wonder how Brunstrom explains that one!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ObnoxiousJockGit Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 29
TaffJ Travel 23
Berlin_104s Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 51