Speed awareness course

Not me, I'm a good boy.

A friend of mine has to do one after getting pinged at 35 in a 30 limit. He's worried about the content of the course and is it very graphic in showing scenes of car wrecks etc.

He was involved in a very bad crash as a youngster and still has flashbacks / nightmares etc. Drunk driver hit his parents vehicle head on.
Anyone know what gets shown?

philc

LE
Nothing like that, its more reeducation of road signs and white lines and what speeds you should be doing. About the only thing I can remember from it was use 3 gear in 30 MPH zones so you dont edge over to 40.

I can't remember anything graphic but it was a few years ago now

Lots of patently obvious stuff about driving mistakes and road signs, I really can't remember anything gory. It would have livened things up a bit if they had

If anything looking at this fat animated big fat lipped Scouser being as patronising as possible was the real downer

Not car crashes, that's for certain.

Starts off with a naming and shaming session. How you got done, what speed you were doing versus the speed limit etc. All the blokes whinging and moaning about how unfair the world was. Women a bit more laconic. All manner of excuses offered but nobody actually able to understand they were there because they broke the law.

Then a video of stopping times. Police souped up Carlton stopping at 20, 30, 40 and 50mph. Bellends incapable of understanding why 40mph takes more than twice as long to stop than 20mph.

Then a video of a car driving along the road and the criminals asked to identify the danger spots (schools, crossings, cars pulling out etc etc).

There were some pictures of a local fatal RTA which was a bit of a cause celebre in the local press (yob doing about 200mph in the centre of Guildford). But nothing graphic or alarming. Just shown to demonstrate the stupidity of said yobbo.

Bit of sanctimonious wibble from the AA woman running it.

Wash up. Promise not to do it again. Chastened and publicly shamed. Piss off with tail between legs and do 40mph in the 30mph zone on the way home. Saved 3 points though, although cost more than the fine.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Look at you all coming out of the woodwork you bad, children killing, eco planet thingy destroying bastards that you are. :D

That's why it pays to be nice to the cop who pulls you for speeding - they can recommend the awareness course over a prosecution!

Of course, that's why the traffic cops do a speed trap at 0015hrs - they catch all the cops going home after backshift!! :D

Not me, I'm a good boy.

A friend of mine has to do one after getting pinged at 35 in a 30 limit. He's worried about the content of the course and is it very graphic in showing scenes of car wrecks etc.

He was involved in a very bad crash as a youngster and still has flashbacks / nightmares etc. Drunk driver hit his parents vehicle head on.
Not at all.

I had to do it a few years back. I actually think it should be mandatory . It refocuses you and highlights the impact of bad habits.

It’s also completely shocking the amount of pond life who have licences.
Notify your insurance company. They’ll be told, but if you don’t tell them they may not pay out when. You need them to.

Look at you all coming out of the woodwork you bad, children killing, eco planet thingy destroying bastards that you are. :D

That's why it pays to be nice to the cop who pulls you for speeding - they can recommend the awareness course over a prosecution!

Of course, that's why the traffic cops do a speed trap at 0015hrs - they catch all the cops going home after backshift!! :D
I got done at 6am, rolling down a hill near my village and caught for a full 2 mile an hour above the speed limit

There's nothing like living dangerously

philc

LE
I was 37 in a 30 zone, took the course, in my defense I had just chopped in my Landrover Defender for a Subaru Forester and it was a bit faster than I had been used to for 10 years.

I attended a course a few years ago . I went with the intention of being a " Grey man " .... however we were all informed we had to take an active part otherwise our attendance would not be signed off . Each person had to explain why they were there .... " My name is B_R and I am a alcoholic speeding motorist caught travelling .... " . Just a group of ordinary people all marginally exceeding the speed limit ... it struck me as a nice little earner .... there were 20 people on my course and there were 4 sessions per day .

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I got done at 6am, rolling down a hill near my village and caught for a full 2 mile an hour above the speed limit

There's nothing like living dangerously
That's weird. Was it a camera or cops? Up here, under Lord Advocates guidelines we can choose not to do anyone doing 9mph or less over.

Variety of reasons such as everyone goes over 1 or 2 and it makes the margin of error very small, so a good defence could pin holes in the case or equipment error, etc.

If it's a safety thing, schools, etc. then people will get stopped if they're over and warned or ticketed depending on speed and attitude.

Thankfully, the days of numbers and KPIs are gone.

I found the whole experience to be rather pleasant overall.

The guys running the course weren't there to shame you, they did illustrate some very good points about how little we know about the highway code.
Certainly not worth going through the courts and perjuring oneself to avoid it.;)

My only complaint was getting paired up for some of the written tasks with a shaved ape who was incapable of making a decision and I suspect was barely literate.

TamH70

MIA

That's why they call traffic officers "Black Rats", as they are one of the few kinds of animals who eat their own young.

the most pissed off guy on the course i did was the Lincolnshire Traffic cop who got done by a Lincolnshire Traffic cop, and the 3 HGV drivers on the course confused the hell out of the chavs with the "I was doing 44 in a 60" line
the second most pissed off guy was a city twanger type in his Audi penismobile who really didnt think he should of been there and wheel span out of the Car Park put his foot through the axeminster and was promtly pulled by the Lincolnshire Traffic Cop waiting for just such an opourtunity

That's weird. Was it a camera or cops? Up here, under Lord Advocates guidelines we can choose not to do anyone doing 9mph or less over.

Variety of reasons such as everyone goes over 1 or 2 and it makes the margin of error very small, so a good defence could pin holes in the case or equipment error, etc.

If it's a safety thing, schools, etc. then people will get stopped if they're over and warned or ticketed depending on speed and attitude.

Thankfully, the days of numbers and KPIs are gone.
Something like Safety Camera Partnership, don't think they're plod at all

Probably something to do with the local authorities I'd imagine

Strangely we've had parents crash near the school speeding to and from the school, as they use parts of the village as a rat run.

Not seen any mobile cameras where it happens, but then there's not many places for them to hide with parked cars blocking visibility a lot, so can't see that happening

Much easier to stick to the main road where they can catch the tourists coming into the area

the most pissed off guy on the course i did was the Lincolnshire Traffic cop who got done by a Lincolnshire Traffic cop, and the 3 HGV drivers on the course confused the hell out of the chavs with the "I was doing 44 in a 60" line
the second most pissed off guy was a city twanger type in his Audi penismobile who really didnt think he should of been there and wheel span out of the Car Park put his foot through the axeminster and was promtly pulled by the Lincolnshire Traffic Cop waiting for just such an opourtunity
I got three points/£30 for speeding in Lincolnshire.

Sunday morning about 06:00. No traffic anywhere in sight and TBH there was nothing at all in sight. Visibility about 200 miles as the landscape was as flat as a pancake. Didn't see the speed camera and not even sure it existed. I think Lincolnshire plod are generating revenue by making it up knowing you live 200 miles away and will not check.

"Doing 44 in a 60 line" confuses me as well. Wozzitmean? (Should the truckers have been doing 60 in a convoy style?)

Not me, I'm a good boy.

I did one in Bridgend last year, just to give a recent S Wales perspective.

Nothing graphic. The two ‘teachers’ tried to make it enjoyable, but were hard pressed by the miserable ‘students’.

As @Tedsson says tbh. It’s a revision. Driver awareness. Free (you’ve paid for it) coffee. Couple of breaks. Wastes an afternoon but (imo) better than the points. Sit back, join in with the group discussions and take the hit.

I got three points/£30 for speeding in Lincolnshire.

Sunday morning about 06:00. No traffic anywhere in sight and TBH there was nothing at all in sight. Visibility about 200 miles as the landscape was as flat as a pancake. Didn't see the speed camera and not even sure it existed. I think Lincolnshire plod are generating revenue by making it up knowing you live 200 miles away and will not check.

"Doing 44 in a 60 line" confuses me as well. Wozzitmean? (Should the truckers have been doing 60 in a convoy style?)
at the time the speed limit for HGV's on normal A road (pretty much all there is in my green and smelly county) was 40 MPH

Waz

Old-Salt
They are all different. No graphic images. Some courses are better than others. You can tell "your friend" that "my friend" went on one not that long ago and it was 4 hours of tedium. Nothing to worry about.

Latest Threads