Speed Awareness Course - The Downside!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Infiltrator, Nov 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK, I've not been on one of these, Mrs Inf once did a red light course after going though one a few years ago.

These courses are away of not getting points on your licence and then not having to declare those points to an insurer and being loaded on your premium.

Not any more it seems!

BBC News - Car insurers start penalising speed awareness courses

Drivers who attend a speed awareness course instead of taking a fine and points on their licence may see their insurance premiums increase.

The BBC has learned that Admiral is treating it as if it were a conviction, even though the police do not.

The insurance group says its statistics show that drivers who have attended a course, pose a higher risk.

The Association of Chief Police Officers say Admiral's stance could harm efforts to improve road safety.

So, should drivers be loaded on this basis? It strikes me that the insurers want their cake and eat it. Yes, the driver committed an offence, but has received formal training. Does that training not somewhat mitigate the risk?

Of course, I have a special place in my heart for all insurers! Honest. Bastards, each and everyone of them. This is just a new way of increasing premiums.
  2. Then vote with your feet. Don't use Admiral
  3. Agreed, however, if one can do it, how long before they all do? Not stupid these insurers when it comes to a way to make money!

Do you remember, a while ago, if you had one speeding offence they didn't mind, they wouldn't load your premium on it. Different now isn't it? Any points, any at all they will class you as a bad driver and hike the premiums. Just try going on Confused and doing a couple of dummy quotes, one with and one without some points, you see the difference.
  4. I did one, the people running it are not allowed to inform your insurance company but you are encouraged to tell the truth but not forced to.

I haven't been asked by my insurance company and so haven't mentioned it. I am not insured through Admiral though so don't no if they ask when you take out the policy.

If it hasn't changed then they have no way of knowing if you have done it or not.
  5. Are Admiral saying that the speed awareness courses aren't working? That's how it comes across, and if I was someone in charge of running these courses, I would be looking at taking legal action against them.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. You'll also notice that some quote sites (like Tesco, not to mention names) ask if you've had any claims in the last 3 years, other say "The last 5 years". Pick and choose, it takes time, but worth it in the long run. Not everyone will ask, some companies might trial not asking, the amount of people they will insure goes up, but thir payout (average per person) doesn't then they win more customers.
  7. Its ok saying 'don't tell them if they don't ask.......later should you have a claim made against you, and bearing in mind Insurers reluctance to pay out, and the fact this was not mentioned when the policy was taken out. Just where would you stand?........possibly up shit creek with neither paddle nor canoe. Undoubtedly they will throw the old 'small print' excuse!
  8. Good! Now move along (but within speed limit of course)
  9. .

The Association of Chief Police Officers say Admiral's stance could harm efforts to improve road safety.

I did one few years ago and was under the impression that it was run by retired coppers to help boost their pensions. I could be wrong. I thought I has made a mistake years ago but I hadn't.
  10. I did one and found it to be very informative, having learnt to drive in a Land Rover, I was amazed at how technology had moved on and just what an engine management system actually did

It was mainly retired people who had bad habits and I am sure the re education of the drivers was far more beneficial than a couple of points.
  11. Do go on...
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Insurance companies thinking up new ways to screw money out of people for something they legally have to get, imagine that.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. I did one in October and despite grumbling, moaning and preparing myself for a totally pointless, wasted four hours of my life, I actually found it very informative and did learn from it.

I don't know how insurers would know if you had done one unless they specifically word a question. Otherwise you are only asked about convictions and, if you've done the course you don't have a conviction.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Excellent news. If it spreads to all insurers we can get rid of what is simply a government revenue-generating exercise.
  15. How? The fine is considerably more expensive and costs less to administer.