Spectator article: True Shame of the Afghan War

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by MrPVRd, Aug 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just finished the article.
    Superb, but no more than has been said on here for the last 3 years.
    Where are our Hospitals?
    On-going care package provisions for injured soldiers?
    Support for the families and dependents?
    Funding for the injured (within the NHS BUDGET)?
    Why has the covenant been so comrehensibly broken under Labour?

Where is the governments acceptance that we are fighting a motivated enemy with nothing to lose and plenty to gain?

2. "If the ‘covenant’ is not to be breached,..."

Although it is from the 19th of this month, I think it is already out of date "If...".

3. Good article, thanks.

I'll just echo mick_sterbs comments.

4. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

No offense to the writer, but I don't believe there is much of anything in the article that is not already well known to any newspaper reader in the UK. (Or do I read too much ARRSE...?)

To me, it raises the question:
    Why has something not already been done about it before now? It should not require a charity such as H4H to care for wounded soldiers; after all it is the government, not a charity or other private organisation, that sends them to war.

I sincerely hope that the Tories, in the next election, campaign on prioritizing the Armed Forces who have suffered such downspend and humiliation under Labour. Given the mood in the nation, I truly believe this could be a vote winner. I also believe that with a bit of charisma and some vision from the leadership, the British public's pessimistic attitude toward the war could also be turned around.

The problem is, why should it take a general election to bring these things out? Clearly this is an issue NOW - and has been for years - yet the government clearly does not feel under pressure from the public to put things right.

This is a very, very worrying sign of the relationship between this society and its armed forces.

5. I unfortunately am old enough to believe that a degree of complacency towards the Armed Forces is not solely a Labour Govt thing.

6. Agree strongly.

7. Specifically: Lack of Military Hospitals.

I wrote to my (Conservative) MP last November to bring the point to his attention. He wrote back to me saying that he was also concerned and was going to write to the Minister. Give him his due, he did and when the Minister replied he sent the letter on to me.

Said Minister explained that....... Yes well you know the rest Total B****cks.
    Democracy in action, makes my head ache. Should have written to The Spectator and copied Arrse.

Go well all,

B

8. me too, its one of the reasons i had to join
    (ok everyone knew i was going to join)
    Work was hard to find in the early 80's. Tories had been in a couple of years and they were doing their utmost to castrate the unions.

We all know most politicians are only in it for themselves, i just hope to be proved wrong. :cry:

9. @ bakerlite:

There really isn't very much Tory MPs can do at the moment. Our superiors (my being a little political minion) can't bring legislation through when HMG is determined to block pretty much any Tory proposal on principle.

Hopefully, after the election, something'll happen.

10. The question is: " What?"

Let's not forget who it was that started the 'Options for Change' bollocks in the first place. Killing off military hospitals was a great idea eh? All Bambi and Cyclops had to do was 'carry on the motion'.

If I had to be brutally honest OFC was the biggest missed opportunity the the modern military ever had. The the name was just that, a name, it would have been far less disingenuous to call it what it was, End of Cold War cuts.
    Change my arrse.

11. Don't you just love 'The Peace Dividend'?

No Military Hospitals,
    Broken Covenant,
    Cr@p kit,
    Lack of Government support(and its their war),
    Lack of funding.

12. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Whose post-war behaviour had contributed more than most to the fact that work was hard to find in the early 80's.

I can't see the military avoiding cuts in the next (probably Tory) Parliament but hopefully those cutters will also focus on greater efficiency and be wise enough not to embark on an agenda of non-stop conflict at the same time.

Edited to add 'my bold'