Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gecko

Old-Salt
One thing you need to clarify and that is that AFAIK, having served at least one full day in the Bundeswehr, you are automatically a reservist. There was a time when that would have barred one from joining the British Army. Also, if Britain is to leave the EU, you may lose your German citizenship by voluntarily serving in a non-EU country's armed forces.

Last edited:
One thing you need to clarify and that is that AFAIK, having served at least one full day in the Bundeswehr, you are automatically a reservist. There was a time when that would have barred one from joining the British Army. Also, if Britain is to leave the UK, you may lose your German citizenship by voluntarily serving in a non-EU country's armed forces.

Hold on, nobody told me about this!

When did we vote to come out of the UK?

Others better qualified than me will be able to answer your specific questions, so I won't try. But you will come across ancient types like myself reminiscing about how good it used to be when they were stationed in Germany and how they miss Bratwurst mit Pommes und Herforder und die Mädchen und das Bier und ... habe ich die Mädchen schon erwähnt und ...

I would suggest you keep your job in civvie street and join 21 SAS. As a bonus you get to keep your wife.

As already said you will hopefully be ok getting in and the old sweats will bore the arse off you talking about life in BAOR, we all have very fond memories of Germany, German people and German Beer, not always in that order.

Your nickname is already sorted as someone has pointed out and you will feel at home if you join a unit which refers to its wagons as panzers. If you want a bit of irony pinch bikes out of gardens whilst on exercise in UK and throw jerry cans (no pun intended) into a field in Dover every time you go on leave.

Good luck and I wish you well in your career in the British Army.

One thing you need to clarify and that is that AFAIK, having served at least one full day in the Bundeswehr, you are automatically a reservist. There was a time when that would have barred one from joining the British Army. Also, if Britain is to leave the EU, you may lose your German citizenship by voluntarily serving in a non-EU country's armed forces.
That can hardly be true

Latest Threads