Special treatment for travellers - why?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by FORMER_FYRDMAN, May 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

I came across this article in the Telegraph and it seems a bit extreme that a whole village had to stand-to to prevent people from doing something that would see the average citizen gripped hard.

I understand that the travelling community enjoys certain freedoms and exemptions denied to the rest of us - does anyone know what these exemptions are and can anyone explain the reasons and legal basis for them? It seems archaic in the 21st Century.

2. In one of the stupid POLICE TV programs on the other night the police showed what could only be discribed as FEAR of the reaction from the Local Pikkys when arresting some women for theft.
  3. probably because they are a boil on the backside on society and represent the antithesis of everything the progressive left who dominate the public sector hate - decent law abiding people who work for a living?

They don't quite get everything their own way tho - just down the road from where I live (Basingstoke), a small area was prone to invasions by travellers which was solved by the council using a JCB to dig a bund which prevented access for the 4x4s & the caravans
  4. Please, please, please, stop referring to them as Pikeys, it's so Un-PC - they should be referred as Caravan Utilising Nomadic Travellers, or C. U .N .T.'s for short.

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

I understand the emotion that the subject generates but this is a serious question. What is the basis in law and how does it hold up in an era of exhaustive equality legislation? What's the loophole?
  6. gotta stick that on my list of quotes & links on my spreadsheet!
  7. I am a C.U.N.T as I live most of my life in a Camper van, but I dont steal, shite all over the place ,f**k up car parks, fly tip, or do any of the other shite things that Pikkys do that F**k things up for us, the people who like to travel
  8. difficult to say, but I get the impression, it's not quite as bad as the right wing press and regular posters on ARRSE would make out; off the top of my head, it was in the local news that the local Asda took some sort of preventive action with their car parks to stop an encampment
  9. Its simple, they contribute nothing to society except crime and fraud, they dodge their taxes, turn everything they touch to sh*t, think the world owes them a living and consider themselves above the law.

Is it any wonder that politicians feel nothing but empathy towards them? They just have so much in common with them.
  10. About this time every year the invasion starts, at Fishguard, and the clapped out Transit start being dumped along the M4carridor as they replace them with new stolen and cloned vans, the crime rate along the M4 is seasonal because of this
  11. :clap: :D :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
  12. Why? Because if they do vote (big if I know) Who do you think they vote for?

And the people they upset the most? People who own land and property, live in nice areas and work hard to keep their home and family secure - exactly the nasty rightist bigots that New Labour hate so much.

Throw in a bit of ethnic rights, equality and diversity tosh and you have your answer.
  13. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Ive see Warwickshire Police refuse to go onto a pikey site and recover a stolen vehicle. One that was worth about £65,000 they said it was to risky. Bless.
  14. Isn't that why God invented the flame thrower??

15. Like everything else in the last 13 years of this shower, there is plenty of existing legislation to deal with these locusts but what is missing is the willingness of the Woodentops to enforce it. We have a very selective application of law enforcement these days, anyone remember a couple of years ago on Bonfire Night (for the life of me cannot remember where) a couple of organisers of a do got nicked for putting an old caravan with the index of P1KEY on top of the fire.
    Never got to court though, but they are now officially an ethnic minority, shame the minority of us law abiding tax payers aren't.