Special observer test week

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by A_Matelot, Feb 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trying to get a 2 year draft as a special observer from the navy. Does the test week take place in Brecon? :|

2. I'm a bit out of date but I think that a elements of it had moved to Ardgartan forest (not far from HMS Neptune). Most of the beat up is probably still around Catterick/Otterburn.

3. Cheers mate. I live about half an hour from Catterick so will be happy if the beat up in an area I know like.

4. Just how hard is it to use a pair of binos and clock the Iranian Navy bearing down on you at speed in your dingy?

I know it's cheap, but some ****** was going to say it sooner or later, so it might as well be me.

5. Dunno mate. Never been to sea. And before anyone asks, I don't own an iPod.

• Like Like x 2
  6. That'll pay dividends should you pass and have to do harder stuff further away from home, god forbid you get deployed somewhere that your unaware of the location of the "cheapest off licence" or "best chippy is".

7. Cheapest offy is a great thing to know when it comes to a run ashore!

8. On another note, are the final yomps a case of navigate as you go along, or do you get a chance to pre-plan a route before heading off?

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Now you have started, If you were good enough for the course you'd know where it was Nudge nudge wink wink like!

Like?

10. I apologise for my northern tendencies coming through in my posts.

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I'm a Northerner and don't use the word like in speech instead of a pause or in writing instead of a comma!

12. I think you do a few individual tabs to start off, the essence being your ability to read a map competantly prior to turning up, AFV recognition is a heavy aspect and their test week is a crippler, the lad I know from there (2001) said the timings and weights were put on a chalkboard at night in Bty HQ and it was up to you to turn up and complete the serial with the correct weight and your admin in order, no shouting and balling by the DS, no encouragement just get it cracked.

Did a bit of work with them on Herrick and aside from their ridiculous barnets and sidies they are very skilled fire controllers, 'fag packet' style.

13. I tend to use it at the end of sentences instead of as a pause...like.

Thanks. I've had a heads up on the timings and distances but was just unsure whether it was a kind of read as you go along or get a chance to plan it before you go. As a matelot that side of things will be a bit shit.

14. How can you 'run ashore' when youve never been to sea.....?

• Like Like x 1
  15. It's like asking how you can live "on board" when it's a shore base. You just can.