Special Forces Heroes Ch 5 20:00

Special Forces Heroes
Last Stand in Oman.
Drama-documentary series that highlights the heroic work of Britain's special forces. This instalment recreates the extraordinary events of 18 July 1972, when a group of nine SAS soldiers defended a small fort on the southern coast of Oman from some 300 communist insurgents. The battle pushed the troops to their very limits and has become known by many as the SAS's finest hour.
(Followed By Five News at 9, Subtitles)

I Sky +'d these and have watched them over the last few days. Am currently watching tonights Oman one as we speak.

Seem to be very well made and seen as they actually have the guys that were involved on the Ops in the interviews, you can guarantee that they are pretty true to the story.

Excellent TV and some excellent re enactments, well worth a watch.

Don't know if Ch 5 have the equivelant of the Beebs iPlayer but if they do and you haven't seen it, go find it and have a look, you wont be dissapointed.

Also quite amusing to see what some of the "Old and Bold" hooligans that have been there and got the Tshirts look like now. Wouldn't bat an eyelid at them in the street.

Not that I'd ever want any old fellas house to be broken into, but the thought of some chav scumbag deciding to pick on the nice old white haired man in his 50's that turns out to be the real "second man on the balcony" or one of the Mirbat mob does make me smile.

Yes quite a well documented action now

I take it the two giving interviews without the 'Black nasty' over their eyes are actors - (well they would really as Mike Kealy is now dead 8O )

Fcuking disgrace about the medals eh?

Aunty Stella said:
Not that I'd ever want any old fellas house to be broken into, but the thought of some chav scumbag deciding to pick on the nice old white haired man in his 50's that turns out to be the real "second man on the balcony" or one of the Mirbat mob does make me smile.
About 20 years ago 3 w@nkers tried mugging friend of mine who was about 60 at the time, 5 foot 6. 12 stone little fat b@stard.

He put the 3 in hospital, ex unarmed combat instructor with "them"

By fcuk did we celebrate.

Unfortunately had to attend his funeral about a month ago, he always said that if he'd known he was going to live so long he would have taken better care of himself. Job Done.

Aunty Stella said:
Also quite amusing to see what some of the "Old and Bold" hooligans that have been there and got the Tshirts look like now. Wouldn't bat an eyelid at them in the street.

Reminds me of the story of an opportunist thief who broke into a house in Stepney and got the 'good news' from the owner, John McVicar.

Incredible bravery and devotion and, as already pointed out, virtually unsung.

Yeah, it was a shame about the medals, what really pissed me off was the guards hiding inside the building, whilst the SAS were nearly getting their arrses handed to them, they would have been a battle changing force !!

Awesome program, how many others have there been? I thought this was the first.

Quite looking forward to Combat Cooks (Chefs) tomorrow, different view on things at least.

hodges said:
Awesome program, how many others have there been? I thought this was the first.

Quite looking forward to Combat Cooks (Chefs) tomorrow, different view on things at least.
Kin ell they're more deadly than "them" :wink: :wink:

jinxy said:
Aunty Stella said:
muhandis89 said:
Would be interested to know if there is any means of viewing this programme on the net.Thanks
Google can work wonders you know. Thats why it's called a SEARCH engine

Click on the sarcy comment above
They want paying, I do not do payed for TV, ever.
It's repeated on Channel 5 next Monday at 20.50

I uploaded the storming of the airliner in Mogadishu 1976. Knew about all the other actions, but thought this was so good had to record and upload it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsFI0CECg0c

What got me was the way these guys look today. Stand next to them in Tesco and you'd never know what they had done. Not a word of complaint except a little one at RAF.
Also brings up my long-running things as to why some guys get PTSD and others do not? Is the resilience born in them, developed by training, released in after-action conduct or ... what? Before anyone suggests it, that is not a dig at guys who have PTSD - I could have been one.

I worked on a Site in Birmingham where one of the guys was by then a Buyer for a major construction firm, once again you would never know guess his background, I only found out as he was having a major winge that someone had published a book with a picture of him in standing next to a large bomb in Oman!