Builds Special Air Service desert Jeep with Eduard PE details 1/35th scale

ches

LE
Is it not just worth buying the later Tamiya model of the standard Jeep and just using the aftermarket stuff, then?
In all seriousness, you'd be an age faffing with the later tamiya version to get it to 22 spec of the day. The basic sas kit is still ok but the aber update brings it up a treat. Add some decent stowage & accessories & a cracking wee model can result. Tbh a pe update would be needed for most jeep kits released pre-2000

The Condenser can fitted to the front of the grill needs adapting for the finer PE straps.
condenser can a.png

once the mold has been smoothed off and the two halves joined together, the PE bracket is superglued on and the can joined to the grill bar, there must have been an in and out pipe to the radiator, to allow convection to cause the water to flow in and out of the can.
condenser can B.png

Last edited:
now the jeep is ready for it's first coat of primer, the finer, more easily damaged and vulnerable PE will go on after the salt technique, as I learnt from the M3A1 build earlier.
ready for primer.png

grey primer from a Halfords air can.
primer grey a.png

the spare wheel brackets would be shaded from spray if the wheels were on.
primer grey b.png

ches

LE
The Condenser can fitted to the front of the grill needs adapting for the finer PE straps.
View attachment 495181
once the mold has been smoothed off and the two halves joined together, the PE bracket is superglued on and the can joined to the grill bar, there must have been an in and out pipe to the radiator, to allow convection to cause the water to flow in and out of the can. Presumably one at the bottom and one and the top?
View attachment 495183
Google image for an SAS jeep, you should get a couple of resto's from the preservation guys who do a good job of keeping one or two running. Prob some ref pics of the condensor. I've seen pics of them at war & peace

EDIT. Quick one threw this up.....halfway down the page

Feed & return through top of the can.

NSP

LE
Cutting out the bars in the front: was that to save weight or improve airflow? Or both...?

Take a trip to Regent's Park Barracks and you can see the real thing...

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
In all seriousness, you'd be an age faffing with the later tamiya version to get it to 22 spec of the day. The basic sas kit is still ok but the aber update brings it up a treat. Add some decent stowage & accessories & a cracking wee model can result. Tbh a pe update would be needed for most jeep kits released pre-2000
In my mind, the Tamiya Jeep was more recent than 2000; I know there's been an original around for yonks. I was sure there was a more recent re-take, though. Quite prepared to be wrong.

Airflow, and to improve access should the radiator get damaged.
and there's talk now that the grill modification was a badge of honor too. You can well imagine. My Grandfather who was a crab in WW2 said they had an LRDG truck passed down to them after it was passed it's best for GD work, they were all keen to drive it, so even then, and beyond their circle, the LRDG and SAS had prestige.

this kit came with a slip of Tamiya tech tips, that's a recent introduction to an old kit, maybe it's still being produced.
Tamiya tech tips.png

Last edited:

ches

LE
In my mind, the Tamiya Jeep was more recent than 2000; I know there's been an original around for yonks. I was sure there was a more recent re-take, though. Quite prepared to be wrong.
I'd have to check scalemates but most 'new' kits are retooling with some new accessories. The original Willys from tamiya is old & I'm not aware they have done a completely new kit inc a new master.

first stage of the salt, the final colour is going to be Desert pink, the jerry cans will be a different shade.
first stage of salt d.png

the gear shift was knocked out during the salt dusting, there's more PE to go on too.
worn front floor.png

lost the tiny PE Sundial, fitted it too early, have to make do with the kit one. The dashboard is a PE one with a film that lays behind it with the dials.
dash close view.png

the interior looks as beat up as the exterior.
dashboard a.png

first stage of the salt, the final colour is going to be Desert pink, the jerry cans will be a different shade.
View attachment 495414
the gear shift was knocked out during the salt dusting, there's more PE to go on too.
View attachment 495416
If no-one has come across this I've found it the most comprehensive resource so far.
WW2 British Camouflage And Markings Timeline in Scribd.com
IMG_20200713_184545.png

Can do screenshots for other years, incidentally I noted that Mr. Color Flesh looks a good match for Desert Pink.
Is there documentary evidence for such as Caunter scheme or even later 2 colour?

Last edited:
If no-one has come across this I've found it the most comprehensive resource so far.
WW2 British Camouflage And Markings Timeline in Scribd.com
View attachment 495613
Can do screenshots for other years, incidentally I noted that Mr. Color Flesh looks a good match for Desert Pink.
Is there documentary evidence for such as Caunter scheme or even later 2 colour?
That's really interesting, thanks. Have you got a link to it?

I think it'd be useful to post the other years to the main Military Modelling thread :)

Building up the Jerry can racks, the racks are ok, but the 1970's cans just aren't up to it, despite adding a third and middle handle, as suggested on here. So more modern versions on order. I can't add the dust weathering yet, as I need the cans, tyres, gun mounts and stowage to be dusty too.
JERRY CAN RACK.png

Latest Threads