Special Air/Boat Section

I was thinking more of a pirate fishing boat.
I doubt anybody in a jet suit is going to try and board one of those......they may however want to board a ship that those guys have taken over or get guys into a ship that they’re about to take over.

you’d be surprised how difficult it is to shoot from a small boat bouncing around on the ocean.

ok - but where is it better than simply slinging a grappling hook up from your RIB?

Perhaps it will keep their LBD dry?

It's inevitable that an engine will go tits up at some stage... and when that happens the futuristic warrior will go skitting across the sea and round and up and down like a party balloon....
Until that happens the whole concept looks fantastic.... but impractical from a military perspective

I initially thought we were here

1620081405283.png

It's got its merits and its risks for boarding party's.

Ok what about using it for that beach landing resulting in having to scale some cliff face for one of those 'unlikely' approaches. What about one or two Royals using these jet packs to jet up the cliff and throw some rope down to the remaining bods? Yeah I know helis would be so much better but let's imagine they are in short supply and can't be allocated.

Easier to brass up the bad guys boat from a helo at 500m then go and have a look.

A couple of years ago I was informed of a very nice gyroscopically (and computer) stabilised, intended for helicopter mounting, sniper platform out there - don't ask what it is called, I cannot remember. It is allegedly the same as a sniper being located on terra firma, no sway, no bounce, steady as a rock, moving in relation to the outside world, not the helicopter it is mounted in. Beats the old bean bag between the knees, I suppose.

where's the advantage particularly? doesn't strike me as being particularly covert. looks like the guy has his hands full of red hot jet engine for at least a couple of seconds when he touches down, so what happens if he needs a weapon as soon as he lands? there are people here who undoubtedly know far more about this malarkey than me, but it strikes me as being an expensive solution to a question no ones asking.
He would obviously have a knife between his teeth anyway so could just throw it?

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
I imagine that no one saw the first ever helicopters, planes or tanks and thought that they would be a battle winner, but look at how they matured.

As others have said, if you can get out of it quickly (which I imagine will come with time), it would be very useful for getting onto a deck pronto after some fire support has cleared the way.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
I imagine that no one saw the first ever helicopters, planes or tanks and thought that they would be a battle winner, but look at how they matured.

As others have said, if you can get out of it quickly (which I imagine will come with time), it would be very useful for getting onto a deck pronto after some fire support has cleared the way.

where's the fire support coming from?

bob231

War Hero
Accompanying cheap-as-chips UAV remotely controlled from the Ship?

Far less expensive and cumbersome than Wildcat (or Merlin!) with a door mounted HMG. Equally as effective if RoE are "put rounds onto anything on the upper deck that looks like it's carrying a weapon".

This is not going to be used for permissive boarding, after all, and your same UAV can still loiter around observing.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
The place where the fellas in the jet packs came from. A helicopter or coat I imagine.

the helicopter that some bods could fast rope down from instead of poncing around playing buck rogers??
;)

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Can't fast rope from a boat though.

bit difficult to shoot someone on the deck of a ship 30ft above you if you're on a boat barely a couple of feet out of the water though isn't it?

Latest Threads