Special Air/Boat Section

Came across this earlier on Reddit, interesting or just a stunt, Flying Bootknecks.......

Where do the SBS come into it?

chimera

LE
Can't be Royal - he isn't naked.

I have a sneaking suspicion that should the operator encounter any kind of issues with the suit a dip in the oggin wouldn't end well without immediate assistance.
And why was I expecting a situation similar to Boba Fett crashing into Jabbas barge?
Still it's a very interesting concept, as long as they develop a method where the wearer can shed the suit rapidly.

I think I saw that he did a demo of this on the bottom field at Lympstone about 18 months ago. It just occurs to me that it's not going to be as stealthy as hooking a ladder over the rail.

Plenty on youtube showing similar. I think Mr Browning, the inventor of the jet pack thingy, was RM Reserve.

I think I saw that he did a demo of this on the bottom field at Lympstone about 18 months ago. It just occurs to me that it's not going to be as stealthy as hooking a ladder over the rail.

Its definitely not the quietest way to approach a target and hook on a caving ladder. What worries me most is the speed at which the user can shed the suit to take control of his personal weapon once he has landed on his target. I think it has its uses, but a stealthy insertion is not one of them.

Plenty on youtube showing similar. I think Mr Browning, the inventor of the jet pack thingy, was RM Reserve.

Its definitely not the quietest way to approach a target and hook on a caving ladder. What worries me most is the speed at which the user can shed the suit to take control of his personal weapon once he has landed on his target. I think it has its uses, but a stealthy insertion is not one of them.
I`d be quite concerned if the bad guys were armed , the worst clay pigeon shooter in the world could score 10/10 .

B47CB0A7-E07F-41AE-8072-8A252475DEA4.jpeg

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
where's the advantage particularly? doesn't strike me as being particularly covert. looks like the guy has his hands full of red hot jet engine for at least a couple of seconds when he touches down, so what happens if he needs a weapon as soon as he lands? there are people here who undoubtedly know far more about this malarkey than me, but it strikes me as being an expensive solution to a question no ones asking.

where's the advantage particularly? doesn't strike me as being particularly covert. looks like the guy has his hands full of red hot jet engine for at least a couple of seconds when he touches down, so what happens if he needs a weapon as soon as he lands? there are people here who undoubtedly know far more about this malarkey than me, but it strikes me as being an expensive solution to a question no ones asking.
Advantages are.

1) no need for a helicopter.
2) no need for a helicopter pilot.
3) no need for a helicopter co -pilot.
4) no need for a crew chief on a helicopter.
5) no need for a crew of air techs to service aforementioned helicopter.
6) no need for a big ship to operate the helicopter from.
7) far safer than parachute insertion.

What happens if you’re climbing up a rope ladder on a ship and you need your weapon? You’re mates cover you.

Goes with the Crye, ally helmet and C8's. Someone in the RM is having a right ball at the moment and good on them. Meanwhile Army bloke is buying big 8x8 taxis, noisy recce vehicles and telling us that "its not a tank even if its 3 times the size of the thing it replaced".

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Advantages are.

1) no need for a helicopter.
2) no need for a helicopter pilot.
3) no need for a helicopter co -pilot.
4) no need for a crew chief on a helicopter.
5) no need for a crew of air techs to service aforementioned helicopter.
6) no need for a big ship to operate the helicopter from.
7) far safer than parachute insertion.

What happens if you’re climbing up a rope ladder on a ship and you need your weapon? You’re mates cover you.

ok - but where is it better than simply slinging a grappling hook up from your RIB?

ok - but where is it better than simply slinging a grappling hook up from your RIB?
What do you think is easier?

landing on the deck of a ship?

Throwing a grappling hook onto a ship from a small bouncing rubber boat that can be seen from miles away and closes the gap very, very slowly. Then, the grappling hook may or may not catch, and then climb up aforementioned rope where somebody may or may not be waiting for you and your mates at the top.

I’m sure the same concerns were raised when helicopters became available.....and outboard motors.

I don’t think this is going to be a game changer, but it’s definitely a step in the right direction.

What do you think is easier?

landing on the deck of a ship?

Throwing a grappling hook onto a ship from a small bouncing rubber boat that can be seen from miles away and closes the gap very, very slowly. Then, the grappling hook may or may not catch, and then climb up aforementioned rope where somebody may or may not be waiting for you and your mates at the top.

I’m sure the same concerns were raised when helicopters became available.....and outboard motors.

I don’t think this is going to be a game changer, but it’s definitely a step in the right direction.
Easier to brass up the bad guys boat from a helo at 500m then go and have a look.

Easier to brass up the bad guys boat from a helo at 500m then go and have a look.
Sadly, you can’t go brassing up boats all of the time. Not only is there a risk of collateral damage and physical damage to the ship, it’s surprisingly difficult to do much damage to a container ship with a GPMG

Sadly, you can’t go brassing up boats all of the time. Not only is there a risk of collateral damage and physical damage to the ship, it’s surprisingly difficult to do much damage to a container ship with a GPMG
I was thinking more of a pirate fishing boat.

Latest Threads