SPEC OPS

When is the Corps going to do the decent thing and take the Spec Ops from the RSigs to give them a full career. Many are seeing the light and transferring across but much boliX is being talked about how the RSigs values them so much.

Come to that line of thought when is the Corps going to take control of Army UAVs and otherb ISTAR toys

Next - the world !!!!!! :p

and they say the darkside is boring. Can't be that bad if people are actually transferring into it FFS.

Taking over assetts that lie with other regts/corps is a great idea...BUT, who will man it? Where do the troops come from?

We can't even fill the posts we have!

Not going to happen

This rumour has been bounced around for years now

The RSIGNALS still have and always will have plans for us. Hense the trade name change: Electronic Warfare Systems Operator! From what I can gather Spec Ops are still Spec Ops, the new guys coming out of training will now become EWSO!

What next 14 MI Bn i dont think so!

Why take them under our wing and have them fill our promotion slots. If anyone is daft enough to become one then let them live with it! :twisted:

I also wish it was 14 MI Bn - maybe there would be less BS if it was properly managed and people weren't being f%*ked around so much, the sigs joined that Corps, we didn't!!!

whitenoise said:
Not going to happen

This rumour has been bounced around for years now

The RSIGNALS still have and always will have plans for us. Hense the trade name change: Electronic Warfare Systems Operator! From what I can gather Spec Ops are still Spec Ops, the new guys coming out of training will now become EWSO!

Silence Spec Needs Op! 8O

whitenoise said:
There are more Muppets there than Scaleys, the only reason it isn't already is because your lot would spit the dummy about losing a CO/RSM slot. F'kin best idea I've heard in ages.

They do more collection than analysis surely? One could argue that, in that context, they are as Int as a COP platoon.

there's fighting there is......

:D

CardinalSin said:
They do more collection than analysis surely? One could argue that, in that context, they are as Int as a COP platoon.
What like HUMINT then or the ASTOR Squadron - a dangerous road to go down - no we should own the lot.

Op_Int_and_Spy said:
CardinalSin said:
COP platoon, COP platoon!
What does the P in COP stand for?
Yeah yeah you got me. Touché!

To bring some seriousness (yeahhhhh, I know!) to this discussion, there is some debate as to who owns the ISTAR batlespace. Personally (?) I think that we should stay out of the way of those Corps/Arms that 'need' to own the asset (RA - Watchkeeper), (RAF - ASTOR) etc. We should just content ourselves with getting on with using the product.

We couldn't look after the maintenance schedules or midlife crisis of ASTOR/Predator/Watchsleeper. Neither do we have the manpower to run those Sqn's or Regt's. So we have 'nominal' control of Daft Humans Unified. I say nominal, because very shortly I feel that we won't 'command' for much longer.

The outcome of this is what. We don't command 14 Sigs, we don't command any of the Boxes. We invariably don't command or fill the majority of G2/J2 posts throughout the Brit Military world. However, we are justifiably renowned as the pre-eminent Analysts. All this Int/Info floating about would be absoluetly (?) useless i it wasn't put in the right conext etc, etc. So we so abit of HUMINT, so we do a bit of MTI. Jesus, face it. We are a very valuable commoditity. That's why I feel justfied in having a very large ego.

Amusing thread. For what it is worth, my tuppence worth!

The Signals will never let the Spec Ops (now EW Sys Ops) go, because, as has already been pointed out by Peredovchik - it would mean losing 1 x Lt Col, 4 x Maj and a large no of SSM's posts.

Interestingly though, this, (IMHO), is not the main reason for the Signals re-jig of the trades, which has allowed them to keep the EW Sys Ops. If 14 Sigs had gone MI, the Signals would have lost its 'teeth' arm status, and the Int Corps might well have gained that same status. I imagine the possibility of such an occurence had a great many senior Sigs offrs losing hair, sleep and huge amounts of sweat!

For what it is worth, I don't think Spec Ops, (or EW Sys Ops, whatever!) would be any better off in the Int Corps than the Sigs - they would still be treated like pariahs by the light-siders and probably have the linguists doing the same as well! (Well, at least to the Supvr R's!)

Better the devil you know (or, put another way - what trade??) Glad I am out of it and heading to sunnier climes! :D :D

El Gringo said:
...is not the main reason for the Signals re-jig of the trades, which has allowed them to keep the EW Sys Ops. If 14 Sigs had gone MI, the Signals would have lost its 'teeth' arm status, and the Int Corps might well have gained that same status....:D :D
Actually the INT CORPS has had the same status as the Royal Signals as a Combat Support Arm since 1985. Combat Arms are obviously the Cav/Armd Regts, Inf etc. Combat Service Support being RLC, REME etc.

NTTT

Next_to_the_Tank said:
El Gringo said:
...is not the main reason for the Signals re-jig of the trades, which has allowed them to keep the EW Sys Ops. If 14 Sigs had gone MI, the Signals would have lost its 'teeth' arm status, and the Int Corps might well have gained that same status....:D :D
Actually the INT CORPS has had the same status as the Royal Signals as a Combat Support Arm since 1985. Combat Arms are obviously the Cav/Armd Regts, Inf etc. Combat Service Support being RLC, REME etc.

NTTT
Bah! Beat me to it. We can't have the scaleys thinking they're better than us.