Spec Ops

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by Davros_the_Dalek, Apr 8, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well they're weird aren't they. Nobody likes them ;)

2. No davros Int Corps are the weird one's. We have to wipe your arrse's for you!!!!!

3. :D

You could only feel so priviledged mate.. now go polish some pegs, pretend you're busy and make some tea! ;)

4. All sounds weird and a bit bleep to me!

5. You're right, nobody likes us, because we can be found struggling to a topless beach in Cyprus, carrying our incredibly heavy wallets. 8)

Seriously though, if anybody took the time to find out, you would find that like every trade/Corps/Regiment there are good lads and cnuts. The Cnuts usually get posted out of trade - hence the ones that none Spec-Ops come into contact with.

I've met some great blokes in the slime, but my general view is that they're a bit weird and need supervision to wipe their own arrses - and thats just the SNCO's. :D

6. I just wish I was smart enough to be Spec Ops. I hate hearing my mate bragging about how he got his first right after phase 2. :(

7. Surely you meant to say that the cnuts usually become Supvr R’s.

8. Good point :lol:

You want to meet the majority of the Tfc Offr (R)'s as well.

Actually you may have a point, all the good lads seem to get out cos they've had enough of the 'Spec Op Mafia' that exists. A small but select group of chosen ones, who seem able to exert their influence (no matter how ignorant) over the hierarchy.

I'm not a chosen one, and yes, I am bitter and twisted about it.....ahh well, back into my darkened room.

9. The problem with us spec ops is this:
    1. we dont have enough contact with the rest of the corps so you all think we are weird.
    2. people in the past thought we were doing comsec stuff and listening to your phones, so you all hate us.
    3. you dont see much feed back from what we do for you coz it's all "classified"

solutions:

1. bring spec op training to blandford (not chicksands with the Int corps)
    2. let the rest of you see what it is that spec ops do and educate the rest of the corps
    3. expand the electronic warfare training so that all operators and techs do it as often as they do NBC!!

The infantry, artillery, paras and RSO's from all other cap badges can't get enough EW, its embarassing that our operators are lagging behind.

As mentioned in previous threads, where is our "esprit de corps" lets all pull together and show them just what the Royal Corps can offer the British Army in the way of technology!

10. The correct singular and plurals are as follows:

One Spare-c0ck – Usually seen mincing around at the back of the bays with his/her hands in their pockets.

A bo11ock of Spare-c0cks – Two Spare-c0cks, typically holding hands and skipping gaily up and down the length of the hangar.

A w@nk of Spare-c0cks – Three or more Spare-c0cks, normally under the command of a Supvr R, although this might not be at first apparent, as he will undoubtedly be leading the w@nk from the comfort of his office.

On a warm summer’s afternoon, it is often possible to see a w@nk of Spare-c0cks camping it around coastal areas of Pembrokeshire. Whereas sightings during the colder months are much more uncommon; it is still possible to hear the call of a Spare-c0ck – “It’s cold and my f@nny hurts”

11. Ha!

you dont want them to bring it to blandford mate!

12. What would really be achieved by moving the Spec Op training to Blandford; are you going to move the RN and RAF training too? The Tfc Offr R's have built up a mighty little empire in Bedfordshire; they are not going to relinquish that too easily.

The Spec Op trade is a relic of the past. I admit that the trade has been adapted to try and cope with the changing environment, but there is no denying that a serious overhaul of the trade is required.

As for EW, what major contribution does the Spec Op trade bring to the world of EW? One poxy troop in a Regiment. The rest of the Spec Op tradesmen are being employed as overpaid area hygiene technicians. I think that is the term that McDonalds uses for the guy who sweeps the floors.

13. Fraser,

Are you jealous of them? Did you get beaten up by a Spec Op once? Did the nasty men do something unspeakable to you?

IMHO you detract from some of your (valid) points by turning every Spec Op thread into a "I hate Spec Ops cos they're all sh1t" rant.

14. Doomsayer,

Quite the contrary, I have many good friends within the Spec Op/Supvr R community. I like having a dig at them, in the same way that they attempt to mock my trade, which is not without justification. However, as I stated in my last post, IMO there needs to be some modernisation of the trade. What do they do – EOD, EW, SI? There is clearly a requirement for Spec Op trade in all three areas, but my point being, there is a distinct lack of focus. The ultimate victims of these failings are the younger/junior tradesmen, who become disillusioned with their future and sign off.

15. Having discussed the future of the trade several times whilst stood around the trailer/kettle/wheelbarrow (delete as appropriate) of knowledge - there seems to be a general consensus that we are dead in the water.
    We are already unofficially fragmenting ourselves.
    Digby is just a halfway house whilst they find something more productive for us to do. Lads in EOD (myself included) will generally do anything to stay there as the quality of life is better - lots of tours, but treated like an adult. People go to AWC and stay there for years on end, meaning nobody else can get a posting there. Then you get the hapless soul who gets posted to 14, then to 224, then back to 14 - 14 is like marmite, you love it or hate it.
    Why not have 3 divisions of our trade? RSSO(EW), RSSO(G), RSSO(EOD) - the G standing for our general duties that can't be put on here. This idea has already been banded round quite high up I believe.