Spearhead

wombat

Swinger
Just caught Spearhead on Talking Pictures .....

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Ritch

LE
Just caught Spearhead on Talking Pictures .....

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
Oh right. Lovely.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Blimey! Did they have talkies that far back?

Yes.
And colour.

syrup

LE
It gets a run out on one of the Sky Channels Movies for Men or Men and motors
All Vauxhall Viva's and SLR's
The channel that shows Soldier Soldier every so often.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Last night's Spearhead was evidently series finale (prior to Southern TV losing the franchise and TVS not continuing it, thereby killing off the show). Also, Sky box didn't select tonight's episode to record. It's listed on the planner as Series 1, Episode 1. So if you missed it (I missed Eps 1 and 2 this time around) tonight is a good time to start.

Serious question. Pte Mayhoe, the token "curly-haired bloke" (their euphemism), was a Stalwart of every episode. In Series 3, Spearhead in Hong Kong, Mayhoe is self evidently a senior private, and his underlying theme is, "I don't want a Commendation (that he earns in S3E1), I want a stripe." Throughout the three series he takes serious racist shit. I know it was endemic in the 70s, furry muff.

The CSM is a great (if slightly mad) character, another ever present, I drove an RSM with similar traits. But he's single, married to the Army, doesn't believe soldiers should marry, wives cause him a lot of grief.

But here's the question. In the "I want a stripe" story, in the Mess the CSM mutters to the barman that giving a stripe to a curly-haired bloke is wrong. Letting them give orders to the likes of us cannot be allowed. Was racism that institutional in yer average infantry battalion in the late 70s, early 80s?

I'll hold my hand up. In that time frame, in my own regiment I heard of blokes being dissuaded from joining us, even as, say REME attached. Apart from a REME corporal who was an army footballer. A mate was on the team, but crocked his ankle. "Haway, BJ, take it past him." "BJ, are them his initials?" "Nar, he's a blackjack."

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I don't know about other units or regiments, but certainly in my mob I never, ever came across overt racism. We had a real mix of people, all different in their own way; we had a couple of Sikhs, several Jamaicans and worst of all, scousers. I suppose that given that we were referred to as the 'Black Mafia' then that could have been percieved as a racist comment, but wasn't.

There was a certain Scots Div Btn, whose members hailed from a coal mining kingdom. They even had their colour in the name.

Yes, it was. The military was a condensed version of the nation, and the nation was very racist.

GrandadsMOB

War Hero
Funniest I ever heard of was Chalky White (truly), a Blanket Stacker of West Indian or whatever heritage, in the China Fleet Club in Hong Kong in 1971/2. It was, of course, at the time of Vietnam and parts of the US Fleet would come in for R&R. Remember also that in those days "Black Power" was all the rage.
Anyhow Chalky and Co. were sitting having a small libation in the Fleet when a band of black American sailors come in. One comes over to Chalky with the "Hey, bro', gimme some skin!" type patois. Next thing: "What yo' doin' sitting with these white honkies. Come and drink with the brothers."
Chalky leaps to his feet, chair goes flying back, all ready for a punch-up.
He's calmed down, things are smoothed over and the questions start. "What the f... was all that about Chalky?"
In the broadest East End accent you could imagine, back comes the reply, "I might be black, but I ain't a fu..ing n....r!"
Happy days!

The whole series is being repeated from the start, commencing next Wednesday (12 Dec) on obscure Sky Channel Talking Pictures (Sky 328, Freeview 81, Virgin 445). The blurb:
“A repeat from the start for ITV’s late 1970s drama about The Royal Wessex Rangers, who strive to keep the peace in Hong Kong and other locales”.
I don’t remember this first time around,so may give it a go.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
The whole series is being repeated from the start, commencing next Wednesday (12 Dec) on obscure Sky Channel Talking Pictures (Sky 328, Freeview 81, Virgin 445). The blurb:
“A repeat from the start for ITV’s late 1970s drama about The Royal Wessex Rangers, who strive to keep the peace in Hong Kong and other locales”.
I don’t remember this first time around,so may give it a go.
Oh God

exspy

LE
You will thoroughly enjoy it, if you don't you will be forced to watch Soldier, Soldier - again
As far as I'm aware, and I've watched a lot of television, neither Spearhead or Soldier, Soldier have ever been broadcast in North America, which is strange considering that American and Canadian public broadcast stations (non-profit and paid for by viewer donations) are crazy for British television programs.

Redcaps was broadcast a couple of times, but that's as close to showing soldiers that we ever got. Oh, that stand alone drama about the lesbian RMP played by Helen Baxendale (nice tits) was shown, once I think. And Sharpe, lots and lots of Sharpe.

Cheers,
Dan.

arcticfox042

War Hero
Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 21.34.54.png

Latest Threads