Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Fat_Walt, Oct 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is probably one for the Old and Bold but does anyone remember Spearhead, the Southern TV series of the late 70's depicting life for the fictional Royal Wessex Rangers? (For the youngsters, think Soldier Soldier without the soap).

If you remember it with fondness, I found that it has been released on DVD.
  2. Or you can catch it (again) on You Tube.

Here is the first bit of episode 1.

3. I used to love watching it as a kid, watched it recently and could'nt believe how bad the acting was though, Twiss was my favourite character always up for a punch up there was also a boring brummie married to chink iirc
  4. Just ordered series 2 & 3 from Amazon . trouble is , it comes up with "other customers who bought also bought " so I've blown the Christmas money on " Bomber Harris " "Piece of Cake" "Wings : the complete series" I left it at that , but could have bought loads of other good stuff.How come none of this stuff is ever on telly ?
    Movies for men +2 or whatever shows some episodes of series 1 of Spearhead but thats it .
  5. anyone remember a programme about the RAF in world war two called "The Pathfinders" around the late 70's
  6. Pathfinders

Also available on DVD.Don't recall it though.
  7. Spearhead - Yeah I'd forgotten all about that one!
  8. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Or Moonstrike about the SOE, mid-late 60s?

Edit: Thinking about it more likely early-mid 60s.
  9. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Cor blimey! That was like a part of my life. I was in - or rather on - Spearhead for real, as a tiny part of 19 Brigade (Airportable) back in the late 1960s. It could be fun, but unpredictable. ng turfed out of a cinema or pub when on 2 hours standby and haring back to camp. Or, one one occasion, whilst home on Christmas leave, being recalled on 2nd Jan and off to jolly old Far East for 18 months. Must try to get the series.
    Here; that's a thought, maybe we should be doing reviews of old television shows as well as books etc.
  10. Certainly do! I helped build the fibreglass flying models. They were built by RCS a small company in Hounslow who's main business was model radio control.
  11. While we're on about other TV series does anyone remember the name of the WWI flying series shown in the mid to late '70s? I was working in Orkney and had to watch the last two episodes on a 3" portable!
    Just realised it might be Wings...
    The BBC one, not the Septic crap!
  12. Yes it was wing's.
  13. Ta. Ordered from Amazon!
  14. I was slightly dreading watching this again as other programs I remember fondly from childhood have been dreadful when rewatched years later. However, I was pleasantly surprised. The acting wasn't the best in the world but neither was it the worst. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Spearhead and lookforward to disk 2 over the weekend.