Speaking of getting what you wished for...

I,m not the only one in this Country praying for a Jdam to pay him a visit one day. The way things are out there at the moment. Hopefully it,ll be sooner than later. The bloke is a cretain & testament to the politically correct, liberal tree huggers we unfortunatly have calling the shots in our Govt today.

LT.

doomandgloom said:
Something in the back of my mind tells me he will be allowed to return eventually.
I sure hope with all my heart, that your prediction is wrong! This guy should NEVER see the UK again or any other Non-Muslim country! :evil: :roll: :x

putteesinmyhands said:
No. It was real money. You could buy lots of fruit salads for half a crown. 120, in fact.
How about the Euro? The Brit, money has always been 'Funny Money' to me. Weird names for coins, etc.

I guess I'll have to bone up on it for my upcoming September '06 stop in London, Via South Hampton.... or I could just have my wife deal with it, she's better at that sort of thing, from working with the airlines. :lol:

Trip_Wire said:
putteesinmyhands said:
No. It was real money. You could buy lots of fruit salads for half a crown. 120, in fact.
How about the Euro? The Brit, money has always been 'Funny Money' to me. Weird names for coins, etc.

I guess I'll have to bone up on it for my upcoming September '06 stop in London, Via South Hampton.... or I could just have my wife deal with it, she's better at that sort of thing, from working with the airlines. :lol:
Oh dear.

It's not pronounced South (pause) Hampton.

It's Southampton - one word (pronounced Scum-town).

And as for coinage - it's v simple.

20 shillings (or bob in the vernacular - a currency unit of twelve pence) to the pound = 240 pence to your sterling pound.

2 and 6 (as PIMH mentions above) is two shilling and six pence (can be written down as 2s 6d or 2/6).

A florin is two shillings, half a crown is two shillings sixpence, a crown is five shillings and a thrupenny bit is what you'll be if you take any of the above seriously. :lol:

Check the linky for the no duff on the GB Pound.

Trip_Wire said:
putteesinmyhands said:

If the idea of 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 and £2 is too much for you to get your head around, the following list might actually cause a stroke:

http://www.aldertons.com/money.htm

For what it's worth, I think the Andrew should have taken him on board- then used him to practice man overboard drills at 20kts in the North Atlantic.

It's dead simple. Only take notes of £20 denomination. When you buy something, you'll receive the correct change. When you head back to the ship, look out for boxes with "RNLI" written on them. Put all the loose change in the slot in the box. (It makes a delightful and amusing tinkling sound, so you may want to repeat this process often).

By doing this, you've saved yourself the hassle of trying to work out which coin is which and you've contributed to saving lives.

putteesinmyhands said:
It's dead simple. Only take notes of £20 denomination. When you buy something, you'll receive the correct change. When you head back to the ship, look out for boxes with "RNLI" written on them. Put all the loose change in the slot in the box. (It makes a delightful and amusing tinkling sound, so you may want to repeat this process often).

By doing this, you've saved yourself the hassle of trying to work out which coin is which and you've contributed to saving lives.
I'll take that into serious consideration! Thanks for the tip! :lol:

Even simpler, just pay for everything in $US. Everyone in the UK will happily accept them. They'll probably even give you a discount.

Honest.

And if anyone tries to argue (they will, but it's only a bluff), just shout "But I'm an American" as loud as you can. Guaranteed to work every time.

PS the $US to £ exchange rate is 1:1. Don't let anyone try and rip you off by telling you different.

When I was in Scotland, I loved playing the slot machines at the Tesco's and other convenient locations. They only took coins, but everytime I was a winner and was paid in bills. I would definitely recommend converting all your pound notes into coins, walking about for a bit to find the nicest Tesco's and playing the slots until all your winnings fit neatly into your billfold.

As well, anytime you see a match on the telly in the pub, cheer for the Rangers regardless of who is actually playing. Regardless where in the UK the pub is located, you will almost certainly get an overwhelming response.

Latest Threads