Speaking of getting what you wished for...

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Trip_Wire, Aug 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

2. I,m not the only one in this Country praying for a Jdam to pay him a visit one day. The way things are out there at the moment. Hopefully it,ll be sooner than later. The bloke is a cretain & testament to the politically correct, liberal tree huggers we unfortunatly have calling the shots in our Govt today.

3. Something in the back of my mind tells me he will be allowed to return eventually.
  4. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I sure hope with all my heart, that your prediction is wrong! This guy should NEVER see the UK again or any other Non-Muslim country! :evil: :roll: :x
  5. I'm willing to put down half a crown that he'll get back in.
  6. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Whats a half a crown? :lol: :wink:
  7. Oh, forgot, sorry. It's two and six.
  8. Or, if that's not clear: It's a single coin worth the same as a florin and a tanner.
  9. Though the Scots would call a tanner a "wee bawbee".
  10. And if you counted it out in copper coins, it would have weighed exactly 10 ounces. (the half-crown, that is.)
  11. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

It went right over my head! :oops:

Funny money! :p
  12. No. It was real money. You could buy lots of fruit salads for half a crown. 120, in fact.
  13. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

How about the Euro? The Brit, money has always been 'Funny Money' to me. Weird names for coins, etc.

I guess I'll have to bone up on it for my upcoming September '06 stop in London, Via South Hampton.... or I could just have my wife deal with it, she's better at that sort of thing, from working with the airlines. :lol:
  14. Oh dear.

It's not pronounced South (pause) Hampton.

It's Southampton - one word (pronounced Scum-town).

And as for coinage - it's v simple.

20 shillings (or bob in the vernacular - a currency unit of twelve pence) to the pound = 240 pence to your sterling pound.

2 and 6 (as PIMH mentions above) is two shilling and six pence (can be written down as 2s 6d or 2/6).

A florin is two shillings, half a crown is two shillings sixpence, a crown is five shillings and a thrupenny bit is what you'll be if you take any of the above seriously. :lol:

Check the linky for the no duff on the GB Pound.
  15. If the idea of 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 and £2 is too much for you to get your head around, the following list might actually cause a stroke:

For what it's worth, I think the Andrew should have taken him on board- then used him to practice man overboard drills at 20kts in the North Atlantic.