Speaking English - Lesson #7 - ' Expressing distress'

I am only learning the swear words
I have a couple of Russkis that I work with occasionally so I need to keep up !!
I think Russian is mainly about swearing. So I have been led to believe.
There is a tale of an English army disembarking in Flanders in the 17th Century, on some futile expedition. One observer described it being done ‘with much swearing’ as they advanced.
So there we are, Brits liked to swear a lot. Even then, we had a poor reputation abroad.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
The two russkis were recommended by Dmitri my Bulgarian mate, one speaks reasonable English the other very little
his two phrases sound like Bulatyaa or oyoyoyoy, maybe hes a Jewish russian ?
oyoyoyoy is when its about to go tits up
the other word is when its going okski

Got them working for me on an isolated set of farm buildings, they have a caravan up there to save the journey ( its bloody miles up a narrow track)
cant fault them, wear all the safety gear, clean up after Themselves , dont leave a mess and they deal with the pikies
I have worked out that darozna dril and bigfucksi are demolition drill in Russian and English
and if you want a big hole made in a wall, you spray paint and say bigfucksi and its done
They have a nice fire going all the time, and get rid of the empties so it doesnt look like an Alcoholics re union
they are slowly dismantling a load of wonky old farm buildings, and stacking all the usable stone and timber on pallets, and the rest on a trailer where the tractor takes it to the quarry for infilling
you cant take the normal large demolition plant up there due to the pikies, the neighbours in the woods, and for fear of scaring the wildlife

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
There is a tale of an English army disembarking in Flanders in the 17th Century, on some futile expedition. One observer described it being done ‘with much swearing’ as they advanced.
So there we are, Brits liked to swear a lot. Even then, we had a poor reputation abroad.
The French referred to us as 'The Goddam's' from Shakespeare's time - 'Oddsblood!

I am learning Russian, being in the building trade I swear too much anyway
i often use Italian
but Bulyata has a nice classical ring to it
would love to hear what the fella with the trailer was saying as he tried to stop it running down the hill

When you discover what the female is saying the driver at 2:32 - let us know.

I suspect it is something like ' Sh1t - there's a train coming....back the feck UP...DAVAY!!' :eek:o_O

Last edited:
That was the 1799 Netherlands campaign, from where we get the nursery rhyme the ‘Grand Old Duke of York’, who led it.

He was so mortified at the crap job he’d done, that on their return he founded the Chelsea Hospital for his wounded soldiers, and what is now the Duke of York’s Royal Military School for the orphans of those soldiers who’d died under his command. Indeed, the original location of the school was also in Chelsea, now the Duke of York’s HQ.

The French referred to us as 'The Goddam's' from Shakespeare's time - 'Oddsblood!

I suspect it is something like ' Sh1t - there's a train coming....back the feck UP...DAVAY!!' :eek:o_O
Interesting. Those who read the readings thread will know that I have been reading (keeping up?) the ‘ Fortunes of France’ series by Robert Merle, and later translated.
The first books are set in the late 16th Century and ’’sblood’ is used throughout for an expletive. And for an author keen to point out every tower in mediaeval Montpellier, I would not doubt the attention to detail.
A Protestant expletive?

The two russkis were recommended by Dmitri my Bulgarian mate, one speaks reasonable English the other very little
his two phrases sound like Bulatyaa or oyoyoyoy, maybe hes a Jewish russian ?
oyoyoyoy is when its about to go tits up
the other word is when its going okski

Got them working for me on an isolated set of farm buildings, they have a caravan up there to save the journey ( its bloody miles up a narrow track)
cant fault them, wear all the safety gear, clean up after Themselves , dont leave a mess and they deal with the pikies
I have worked out that darozna dril and bigfucksi are demolition drill in Russian and English
and if you want a big hole made in a wall, you spray paint and say bigfucksi and its done
They have a nice fire going all the time, and get rid of the empties so it doesnt look like an Alcoholics re union
they are slowly dismantling a load of wonky old farm buildings, and stacking all the usable stone and timber on pallets, and the rest on a trailer where the tractor takes it to the quarry for infilling
you cant take the normal large demolition plant up there due to the pikies, the neighbours in the woods, and for fear of scaring the wildlife
I'd be checking the area very very carefully for pikeys in shallow graves...

Hang on.. Don't bother, they're fine where they are.

That was the 1799 Netherlands campaign, from where we get the nursery rhyme the ‘Grand Old Duke of York’, who led it.

He was so mortified at the crap job he’d done, that on their return he founded the Chelsea Hospital for his wounded soldiers, and what is now the Duke of York’s Royal Military School for the orphans of those soldiers who’d died under his command. Indeed, the original location of the school was also in Chelsea, now the Duke of York’s HQ.
It might be, but something in the back of my head that the Flanders debacle was before then. There may have been more than one debacle, of course.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

My old man referred to the Septics as "Godamnedgimmis" from such endearments as "Godamn gimmi a beer, Godamn gimme a smoke," et al ad infinitum ad nauseum.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I'd be checking the area very very carefully for pikeys in shallow graves...

Hang on.. Don't bother, they're fine where they are.
I think one of them is ex Russian forces, I wont be worrying about graves theres 100 acres up there across the hills
a few trees get cut down
but its mainly deer and Pheasants
Owner lived hundreds of miles away
its kept as a barrier to some other properties

Dwarf

LE

See bold, it was sold off and is now 're-interpreted' as a shopping-centre and a museum. I'm getting old or something.

I am only learning the swear words
I have a couple of Russkis that I work with occasionally so I need to keep up !!
Sven Hassel helped me with this years ago.
Unfortunately the russian orthodox priest part-time teaching at the time went full librarian when he overheard some mangled effort.
Apparently intent doesn't need to be grammatically correct to be understood

Last edited:
It might be, but something in the back of my head that the Flanders debacle was before then. There may have been more than one debacle, of course.
There was an earlier one too...in 1793...and the Walcheren Excellent expedition in 1809. We didn’t do too well on our land campaigns until the Peninsula.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

And I'd been under the impression it was Chuckles the Second who founded it in 1682.

Kevin Bloody Wilson did a song about a kid learning lots of new stuff off the next door neighbour builders, but you can't find them on youtube anymore.
Here's an oilfield one instead
View attachment 454910
We had a similar one several years ago...

A young family moved into a house next door to an empty plot. One day, a gang of building workers turned up to start building on the plot.
The young family's 5-year-old daughter naturally took an interest in all the activity going on next door and started talking with the workers.
She hung around and eventually the builders, all with hearts of gold, more or less adopted the little girl as a sort of project mascot. They chatted with her, let her sit with them while they had tea and lunch breaks, and gave her little jobs to do here and there to make her feel important.
They even gave the child her very own hard hat and gloves, which thrilled her immensely.
At the end of the first week, the smiling builders presented her with a pay envelope - containing two pounds in 10p coins.
The little girl took her 'pay' home to her mother who suggested that they take the money to the bank the next day to open a savings account.
At the bank, the female cashier was tickled pink listening to the little girl telling her about her 'work' on the building site and the fact she had a 'pay packet'.
'You must have worked very hard to earn all this', said the cashier.
The little girl proudly replied, 'Yes, I worked every day with Steve and Wayne and Mike. We're building a big house.'
'My goodness gracious,' said the cashier, 'And will you be working on the house again next week?'
The child thought for a moment. Then she said seriously: 'I think so. Provided those w
kers at Jewsons deliver the f
king bricks on time.'

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'm thinking 1793. 15th Light Dragoons were there.

I particularly like conversing with white van man/woman more so if companies livery on van.
Seems once you point out my vehicles cameras the words go from feck off & you are a cnut to oh so sorry, my mistake, more so when I mention video is going on youtube, TfL, MPS or company themselves the fellow becomes polite.

Much more enjoyable sending to all 4 as it gives me a sense of pleasure & only a click away!!

Oh and I am a Fellow of IAM and on my way to my Masters so probably do know how to drive!!
So basically you're a bit of a fucking cunt. Well done by the way.

Latest Threads