Speaking English - Lesson #7 - ' Expressing distress'

Not forgetting the Scouse, "yarra fu'chin spazzer".

The "ch" of "fu'chin" being pronounced not like the soft "ch" of "chin", but as a harder, back of the throat, noise made by Cloggies - almost a "k", but not quite'.
The Scouse Accent - half Welsh, half Irish, half Catarrah*

*it has 3 halves because they are thieving scrotes

I always thought that it was just part of everyday language and it is only recently that rude words became unacceptable in everyday discourse.
Blasphemous words were always seen as naughtier?
I'm no prude, and do use some foul language as appropriate. We had builders here two years ago.Great blokes and fantastic workers. But they could really swear, it was almost every other word. Even on the phone to suppliers, nothing changed. I don't think they are even aware of doing it as it is everyday language for them.
Maybe the OP's clip seems odd as it is concentrated into a nine minute video?

I'm no prude, and do use some foul language as appropriate. We had builders here two years ago.Great blokes and fantastic workers. But they could really swear, it was almost every other word. Even on the phone to suppliers, nothing changed. I don't think they are even aware of doing it as it is everyday language for them.
Maybe the OP's clip seems odd as it is concentrated into a nine minute video?
Kevin Bloody Wilson did a song about a kid learning lots of new stuff off the next door neighbour builders, but you can't find them on youtube anymore.
Here's an oilfield one instead
johnny oil rig.jpg

Wooden Wonder

War Hero
One of my local pub’s resident Canting Crew has a permanent position on a stool at the end of the bar. Every other word he speaks is “fuck” or “fuckin’”, with the occasional “fucked” thrown in when appropriate - it’s sheer poetry. When a small child is brought in FF(F) doesn’t say a word for the duration of the child’s presence. Class.

One of my local pub’s resident Canting Crew has a permanent position on a stool at the end of the bar. Every other word he speaks is “****” or “fuckin’”, with the occasional “fucked” thrown in when appropriate - it’s sheer poetry. When a small child is brought in FF(F) doesn’t say a word for the duration of the child’s presence. Class.
When the nipper leaves, does he say “thank fuck that little fuckers fucking fucked off”?

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I am learning Russian, being in the building trade I swear too much anyway
i often use Italian
but Bulyata has a nice classical ring to it
would love to hear what the fella with the trailer was saying as he tried to stop it running down the hill

FakeSheikh2

Old-Salt
I particularly like conversing with white van man/woman more so if companies livery on van.
Seems once you point out my vehicles cameras the words go from feck off & you are a cnut to oh so sorry, my mistake, more so when I mention video is going on youtube, TfL, MPS or company themselves the fellow becomes polite.

Much more enjoyable sending to all 4 as it gives me a sense of pleasure & only a click away!!

Oh and I am a Fellow of IAM and on my way to my Masters so probably do know how to drive!!

i often use Italian
would love to hear what the fella with the trailer was saying as he tried to stop it running down the hill

And this children, is why you shouldn't drink and drive.

I studied in Spain for a few months. A bit like the French & their use of 'putain', many Spaniards start a sentence with 'joder' (Lit to f**k). "Que tap, hombre?" "Joder, may bien". So far, so normal.

My flatmate was given to more 'expressive' swearing and often used "me cago en la puta hostia" (I take a sh*t on the whore holy water). This result in (elderly) Spanish locals crossing themselves and hastily cutting across to the far side of the road.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
And this children, is why you shouldn't drink and drive.
I have a Bulgarian friend who visits Russia about 6 times a year on business, he buys a cheap old Lada from a garage that he is on good terms with, runs around in it, and if it survives he sells it for cash on a street corner
He said if he gets hit by another car, he grabs his rucksack steps out and merges with the crowd and vanishes
he reckons many of them are of their tits on Heroin, speed, ganga, Vodka or all four
and thats just the more sober ones

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
@Goatman
I know the OP posted slightly tongue in cheek, but the film does have teaching merit.

Does swearing have it's place in class? At some point it should because it's part of the normal human conversation. I am not a strict grammarian as I think people often get too worried about being right and so often shut up instead of communicating.
My approach is that communication comes first polishing the grammar comes second.

A few years back a mother brought me a 16 year old who had been effectively given up by his teachers in school and he needed English to progress in his studies. Their testing was grammar based and this lad had a problem getting his head round our grammar. On the other hand he was very personable and a good communicator.
First I showed him some basic easy rules to get through the exams and to understand grammar. He started to pass his exams, not brilliantly but a pass was success.
Then I showed him that a language was far more than just grammar and if he worked on the parts he was good at the rest would fall into place. It's an approach I use a lot and if students can see that communicating is easy and fun it changes their concepts of language totally from what is largely taught in schools.
Back to the lad. He was still finding it hard work and I was constantly challenging him to say more. At one point he muttered 'quin cabron' audibly. "Oi," "said I "say that in english". "Bastard"
"Correct, good use of the word in this case." I carried on the speaking exercise noting the look of incredulity on his face.
From then on his progress was an upward curve and the lad has travelled the world, working in and canoeing round parts of NZ.
And a 'bastard' was the key.
Yes, I believe so.....the sad thing is that the occasional expression of annoyance that students are given to use are invariably archaic and seldom heard outside a period drama.

Viz: at GCE level English students learning French were/are taught to say < Zut! > - which at the time was considered to be equivalent to 'Drat!'

Most ordinary French people on the street are more likely to << awww, merde!>>

and, FWIW, I learned that 'Cabron' equates to 'w4nker' - maybe in Cataluna it's different ?

I also think that any RLC Master Driver would be happy to show this at the END of a standard dry-as-dust wake me when it's over lecture on road safety in theatre. ( RSOI trg at Bastion springs to mind ! )

PS - matelots ( particularly Stokers) have been known to use an odd expression of surprise/annoyance :
' Fackin' suck BACK ya twat! '.... relates to a malfunction with onboard sewage plant.

This translates very nicely into Spanish as ' CHUPAR Parte ! '

Last edited:
i often use Italian

Swearing TOO much!? Brain does not compute....

Dwarf

LE
Yes, I believe so.....the sad thing is that the occasional expression of annoyance that students are given to use are invariably archaic and seldom heard outside a period drama.

Viz: at GCE level English students learning French were/are taught to say < Zut! > - which at the time was considered to be equivalent to 'Drat!'

Most ordinary French people on the street are more likely to << awww, merde!>>

and, FWIW, I learned that 'Cabron' equates to 'w4nker' - maybe in Cataluna it's different ?

I also think that any RLC Master Driver would be happy to show this at the END of a standard dry-as-dust wake me when it's over lecture on road safety in theatre. ( RSOI trg at Bastion springs to mind ! )

PS - matelots ( particularly Stokers) have been known to use an odd expression of surprise/annoyance :
' Fackin' suck BACK ya twat! '.... relates to a malfunction with onboard sewage plant.

This translates very nicely into Spanish as ' CHUPAR Parte ! '
The problem with directly translating swearwords is that they have a meaning or meanings that often cover two or three other words in a different language, or that the concept embodied in the word doesn't really have the equivalent.

Cabron that I learned in both Spanish and Catalan is more bastard, though they can use it to mean cünt. W4nker just doesn't have the same equivalent as it embodies a meaning that simply translating loses, the closest equivalent being gillipollas. (Pron hilly-polyas)

Chuparte I always understood to mean suck yourself.

Translating again just loses a lot, it's the feeling behind it that counts. Example:
My flatmate was given to more 'expressive' swearing and often used "me cago en la puta hostia" (I take a sh*t on the whore holy water).
Actually la hostia is the wafer used in Holy Communion. Puta means whore but is often used as we would use the adjective f*ucking thus losing it's original meaning.

A famous example by Pep Guardiola some time back when Mourinho was Real Madrid's manager and getting on evrybodies' tits was this on Spanish tv in the press conference room.

"En este puta sala el es el puto amo" - "In this f*cking room he is the f*cking boss".

The problem with directly translating swearwords is that they have a meaning or meanings that often cover two or three other words in a different language, or that the concept embodied in the word doesn't really have the equivalent.

Cabron that I learned in both Spanish and Catalan is more bastard, though they can use it to mean cünt. W4nker just doesn't have the same equivalent as it embodies a meaning that simply translating loses, the closest equivalent being gillipollas. (Pron hilly-polyas)

Chuparte I always understood to mean suck yourself.

Translating again just loses a lot, it's the feeling behind it that counts. Example:

Actually la hostia is the wafer used in Holy Communion. Puta means whore but is often used as we would use the adjective f*ucking thus losing it's original meaning.

A famous example by Pep Guardiola some time back when Mourinho was Real Madrid's manager and getting on evrybodies' tits was this on Spanish tv in the press conference room.

"En este puta sala el es el puto amo" - "In this f*cking room he is the f*cking boss".
You’re right, host rather that water. Still, same effect.

Latest Threads