Speaking English - Lesson #7 - ' Expressing distress'

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I know a few on here are involved in either TEFL or CELTA training courses, helping non-native speakers to become fluent in English.

I came across the attached Training Aid, which I feel may be of assistance in what can sometimes feel a challenging task:

My apologies that , to date, I have been unable to source this clip via the more accessible TubeYou.

Yours pedagogically,

Herr Doktor Professor Farr Quinnell CDM*

Last edited:
I know a few on here are involved in either TEFL or CELTA training courses, helping non-native speakers to become fluent in English.

I came across the attached Training Aid, which I feel may be of assistance in what can sometimes feel a challenging task:

My apologies that , to date, I have been unable to source this clip via the more accessible TubeYou.

Yours pedagogically,

Herr Doktor Professor Farr Quinnell CDM*
I do believe that our very own @ACAB is on that video.

At 11.18 minutes, the three railway bridges at Finsbury park north bound into Haringey, hackney and the east end, my old manor!

Last edited:
Hey! Why you kick my dog and call it fuck off?

Dwarf

LE
That will have a place in a future lesson on how to put feeling into your vocabulary.

Or the differences between a southern 'fackin ell' and a jock 'fookin idiot'
Potentially useful

That will have a place in a future lesson on how to put feeling into your vocabulary.

Or the differences between a southern 'fackin ell' and a jock 'fookin idiot'
Potentially useful
Not forgetting the Scouse, "yarra fu'chin spazzer".

The "ch" of "fu'chin" being pronounced not like the soft "ch" of "chin", but as a harder, back of the throat, noise made by Cloggies - almost a "k", but not quite'.

BingtheMing

Old-Salt
Not forgetting the Scouse, "yarra fu'chin spazzer".

The "ch" of "fu'chin" being pronounced not like the soft "ch" of "chin", but as a harder, back of the throat, noise made by Cloggies - almost a "k", but not quite'.
You utter twat ! Now I've got to clean gob off the screen having followed your
instructions . :censored:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm pleased that this Training Aid will receive useful further exposure - personally I thought ' Sh1tting Peugeot!' was very adaptable, particular when teaching anywhere in La Francophonie.

mcphee1948

War Hero
What foreign language is the best to swear in, if you want to sound impressive. Is German better than French?

Dwarf

LE
What foreign language is the best to swear in, if you want to sound impressive. Is German better than French?
I hear Russian isn't bad.

But I still think there is nothing to compare with the poetry of the soldier looking under the bonnet of the rover and informing his officer that "Hey Sir, the f*ckin' f*cker's f*cked."

mcphee1948

War Hero
I hear Russian isn't bad.

But I still think there is nothing to compare with the poetry of the soldier looking under the bonnet of the rover and informing his officer that "Hey Sir, the f*ckin' f*cker's f*cked."
Yes, and I think the full quotation was even more pungent : "Oh f*ck.. The f*cking f*cker's f*cking f*cked.
As you say, sheer poetry.

Dwarf

LE
Yes, and I think the full quotation was even more pungent : "Oh f*ck.. The f*cking f*cker's f*cking f*cked.
As you say, sheer poetry.
I do inform students at some stage about swearing, and typically they pay real attention to the class. Not so much so they can go around effing and blinding but more so that they can react correctly if swearwords are used around them or at them.
But the sheer versatlity of the F-word usually leaves them shaking heads.
Verb, noun, adjective, substitute, compound word (motherf*cker , f*ckwit) the list is long and impressive. Truly a versatile word.

Dwarf

LE
@Goatman
I know the OP posted slightly tongue in cheek, but the film does have teaching merit.

Does swearing have it's place in class? At some point it should because it's part of the normal human conversation. I am not a strict grammarian as I think people often get too worried about being right and so often shut up instead of communicating.
My approach is that communication comes first polishing the grammar comes second.

A few years back a mother brought me a 16 year old who had been effectively given up by his teachers in school and he needed English to progress in his studies. Their testing was grammar based and this lad had a problem getting his head round our grammar. On the other hand he was very personable and a good communicator.
First I showed him some basic easy rules to get through the exams and to understand grammar. He started to pass his exams, not brilliantly but a pass was success.
Then I showed him that a language was far more than just grammar and if he worked on the parts he was good at the rest would fall into place. It's an approach I use a lot and if students can see that communicating is easy and fun it changes their concepts of language totally from what is largely taught in schools.
Back to the lad. He was still finding it hard work and I was constantly challenging him to say more. At one point he muttered 'quin cabron' audibly. "Oi," "said I "say that in english". "Bastard"
"Correct, good use of the word in this case." I carried on the speaking exercise noting the look of incredulity on his face.
From then on his progress was an upward curve and the lad has travelled the world, working in and canoeing round parts of NZ.
And a 'bastard' was the key.

Serbo-Croat* is pretty good, not only for the words but for their willingness to use them.

My secretary once dropped her pen.

"Pich kommade" she said.

Now your average Brit civilian secretary might say 'oops' or 'oh dear'. But this means 'piece of cnut'.

Nobody else in the office took any notice. Completely par for the course.

If you watch the film 'No Man's Land', there's a scene of rapid-fire swearing. The sub-titles don't even begin to do it justice...

* Other names are available.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

Latest Threads