Speaker moves to cut drinking culture at Westminster

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by King_of_the_Burpas, May 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apparently Commons staff are to be told to top up MPs' glasses fewer times at Parliamentary receptions to encourage "responsible alcohol use".

John Bercow: more MPs seeking help for alcoholism - Telegraph

Are they drinking more because they are under more stress? Or is it simply the fault of "Commons staff", thoughtlessly topping up glasses at "dos".

If the latter, then sackings are in order.

They could always get rid of the subsidy on booze in the Palace of Varieties and close the shop that sells cheap "Speaker's Choice" Whisky.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Make the freeloading bastards pay the proper price for their booze like the rest of us. That'd cut down the drinking. Then again, we can't have our elected leaders being subjected to life in the real world. Next thing we'll be asking them to pay for their own duck houses and moats!
    (I suppose he's got a bit of time on his hands at the mo, what with his missus having a freebie in Barbados - quote But now she has given him a fresh headache after accepting a celebrity public speaking engagement, which she said came with a fee of ‘about £2,000’ and a trip to the West Indies.
    The Institute of Travel and Tourism offered her the ‘dream job’ just weeks after her husband allowed the organisation to host a Christmas cocktail party in his official Commons apartment. One Tory MP said the arrangement ‘stunk’ – and accused 42-year-old Mrs Bercow of profiting from her position.)

Or even:
    She’s even admitted to being a former binge-drinker who had a string of one-night stands.
  3. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

What about the other double standard? That of the bar where one can smoke...
  4. Please do be brief its a case of do as i say and not as I do again !!!
  5. All this talk of 'topping up' drinks, does that mean you buy a pint and the staff keep refilling it?
  6. Odd how they complain about the peasants binge drinking, demand that there should be a minimum of 50p per unit on alcohol & then celebrate in the Commons subsidized bars with the odd MP finishing the day off by nutting one or two of his Honourable friends.
  7. only one plausible solution here; we have to tap the nations water supple into a table-ale brewery system (this h20 stuff is the pants), ...it'll soon have everyone capable of handling suitable quantities of alcohol....the common met bobby of the 19th century had an average of 8 pints a day,..a feking day! so proof!, this is the only future.
  8. What you mean those extended hours and proliferation of venues has caused problems?

They haven't been to a town centre recently, have they?
  9. Myth. I worked there few years ago and asked people, No-one knew of a bar you could smoke in. As a royal palace they are technically exempt from the rule, but have decided to put the ban in place anyway.

I worked there for about six or seven months, was always made to smoke on the balcony overlooking the river or there are a couple smoking places outside in the inner part of the building.