SPARTANS! TONIGHT WE DINE IN HELL!!!

Chiefy,

your link just goes to prove my point. Especially the part about Xerxes setting out to finish what his Dad had left unfinished.

The Battle of Thermopylae was won by the Persians but at such a great 'international' cost that marked the beginning of the end for them.

Paralles to us?

I fear so. I fear so.

kahonen

Clanker
Why the fcuk people feel the need to read anything into this movie beats the crap out of me.

It's a screen play of a book by Frank Miller, which in turn is based VERY loosely around history.

http://www.amazon.ca/300-Frank-Miller/dp/1569714029

I've seen the movie 3 times (once at the cinema and twice at home following a Bit Torrent download) and I've got the book. The film follows the book very well, even down to much of the dialogue by the narrator and main actors being the same. In fact, it's probably the best and most accurate book-to-film translation I've ever seen.

Given this fact and the fact that the book was produced in Feb 2001, how the fcuk can it be a dig at modern Iran and what is going on there now? Frank Miller is good, but he's not that good.

Read the book. It's not been changed, radicalised or modernised to fit current politics. The fact that the Spartans fought the Persians which have since become Iran is coincidence. Nothing more. And as for Bush being compared to either Leonidas or Xerxes, it's laughable. (I'm not so convinced that comparing Blair to the hunchback is a bad thing though ...)

Just accept it for what it is - a cracking movie with sh!t loads of fighting and people getting bits chopped off them.

Just wanted to echo Ritchie-Hook's recommendation of Gates of Fire; the organisation of Spartan society, the battle drills, the action at the Hot Gates - it's brilliantly conveyed. A must read.

The quote ""Good, then we shall have our battle in the shade.." is an actual quote from the time. Nails ! :worship:

Chinggis

War Hero
The best quotation from Leonidas, albeit apocryphal, has to be Μολων λαβε (molohn labe) – “come and take them”.

It’s written on the modern monument at Thermopylae and on the plinth of the statue of Leonidas in Sparta. It was his response to a message from Xerxes saying that he would spare the Spartans’ lives if they laid down their weapons.

It’s the classic example of a laconic answer, and the word “laconic” itself is derived from “Lakedaimon”, the name the Spartans called their city-state. Spartans were men of few words.

And I agree with Ritchie-Hook and Fallschirmmongsturm, "Gates of Fire" is a very good book. :thumright:

Lillith

Old-Salt
Oh yes right……..Xerxes was a great and nice man that just wanted to bring peace and freedom to Greece………

Hmm reminds me of someone.... :winkrazz: ……..

What was that about Salamina again........?

........gosh it's just a movie and I can't wait to see it :thumright:

Looks like a cross between Gladiator and Troy..With a sence of more Blood lust...

Yellow_Devil

War Hero
I'm not surprised that the Persians/Iranians took umbrage.

Almost every Iranian political debate seems to involve some reference to "our 7,000 years of civilisation" - which, as they sometimes remind the Arabs, is older than Islam. They have a very very strong sense of continuity with their own past - and I've never met prouder people.

They also have a strong sense that their historical greatness has been ignored / ridiculed by the West - and doubtless they think that "300" is just the latest slander on their national character.

I'd be more worried if I was a Spartan as apparently this is being touted as one of the all-time best GAY movies ever!

Shouldnt it be the best Bi-Sexual film then, seeing that they had male lovers till age of 30? And seeing they were seriously hard bas***ds i wouldnt think they would care who thought what of them!!!

Oh for gods sake, which set of window lickers think this is a message to Iran.

Take your tinfoil hat off, and watch it for what it is, an ass kicking film, based on a comic book adaptation of a historical battle.

rabid_hamster

War Hero
gerry butler who played Leonidas had a couple of Sean Connery moments in the film. Hope he did them on purpose cause it seems the americans liked his accent
AS OPPOSED TO
all the complaints about the strange irish accent of Colin Farrell's Alexander had and his mum Angelina Jolie's italian accent

rabid_hamster said:
gerry butler who played Leonidas had a couple of Sean Connery moments in the film. Hope he did them on purpose cause it seems the americans liked his accent
AS OPPOSED TO
all the complaints about the strange irish accent of Colin Farrell's Alexander had and his mum Angelina Jolie's italian accent
I noticed that, some of it was very Connery-esque.

Chief_Joseph said:
It's the most un-apollegetically guy film I've ever seen. I highly recommend it.
I don't want to worry you CJ but the film critic in the Telegraph referred to it as the most homoerotic, yet homophobic film he had seen. However I am glad you enjoyed it...

As for dining in hell, at least it wasn't PAYD in hell...

Morty

War Hero
I'm going to go and watch this sometime in the week, it's the first film in ages to really make me excited!

It's also the second movie from Zach Snyder, who directed the stylish and (IMHO) very well - realised remake of Dawn of the Dead (apart from the bit with the zombie baby).

300 looks, from the trailer. to be just as visually inventive and stylish, and if the actual movie delivers what it promises in the trailer, then i'll go home happy.

Wibble wobble wibble wobble, no sex.

Edited to say, having just read the earlier posts re the political controversy surrounding this movie, it's interesting to note a parrallel between this and the original trilogy of '...Dead' movies by George Romero (as mentioned above, the remake of the second movie was Snyders debut breakthrough movie), of which it was suggested by the, erm, conspiricists nutters, where based around the Vietnam war and communism.

Edited again to say, having just read what I've written above, it's neither interesting nor relevent. Just geeky and paranoid. Still can't wait to see 300 though.

There is a film called simpley "The Spartans " which came out in the early/mid Sixties which covers this episode.
Remember that reply to the Persians boast that they would "Block out the sun with our arrows" to which the head Spartan replied "So much for the better, then we shall fight in the shade"

Havn`t seen 300 yet, hopefully it will be as good as my memories of the original, (Film not battle, even I ain`t that old

Axeman

Old-Salt
I took my boy to watch it on saturday night, the first thing he said when we got out of the cinema was " when's the sequel" Ah the youth of today. Still it is a really good bloke film. Battling, gore and a couple of nice tit shots.

No idea why the Iranians are getting heated up so much about this film, they won after all.

[align=center]Μολων λαβε[/align]

Finally caught this over the weekend!

A decent effort, pretty accurate as well historically, although im not too sure about Persians being lots of black guys wearing gold, not to mention King Xerxes as a Brazilian ladyboy!

Im sure they ripped off his character from the baddie in Stargate.

It was entertaining enough but there wasnt much depth to it all and I couldnt really identify with any of the main characters.

Some boobies saved the day though and the deformed freaks pawing away at the naked women got me quite excited for some reason :sweatdrop:

All the tripe about freedom and free men no doubt had the Spams salivating and I can see peeps drawing parallels with modern events .

But its just too damned silly a film to get all deep and meaningful over.

Worth seeing but dont expect much substance.

If you're a gay mong you'll love it though!

Axeman said:
I took my boy to watch it on saturday night, the first thing he said when we got out of the cinema was " when's the sequel" Ah the youth of today. Still it is a really good bloke film. Battling, gore and a couple of nice tit shots.

No idea why the Iranians are getting heated up so much about this film, they won after all.

[align=center]Μολων λαβε[/align]
Well at face value it could be perceived as perpetuating old stereotypes abut Middle Easterners. In this case the swarthy, demonic, barbarian hordes from the East on one side and the brave, free Spartans on the other!

Historical reality was much different but as i've said its just too daft a film to get upset over!

Spliff-Boy

Old-Salt
Axeman said:
But surely the 'win' was an extremely short-lived one? The film suggested that the killing of the King allowed the rest of the Blue Oyster Club (led by the Welsh Spartan with one eye) to gang together and go and bash up the remaining Persians; or did they?

Good film with smashing nipples that has introduced a new description for ugly people: see her, she knows where the goat track is!

Surrey_Trog

Old-Salt
Kurgen said: There is a film called simpley "The Spartans " which came out in the early/mid Sixties which covers this episode.
Remember that reply to the Persians boast that they would "Block out the sun with our arrows" to which the head Spartan replied "So much for the better, then we shall fight in the shade"

Coincidentaly, it was on ITV last Saturday and contained many of the lines in the new version. Actually enjoyed the old movie as much as the new. :)

Latest Threads