SPARTANS! TONIGHT WE DINE IN HELL!!!

Saw 300 last night. Great film. Lots of violence, flying limbs, random female nudity, and one-liners :headbang: There was even a decent plot (though it really wasn't that important, it's all about the action). It's the most un-apollegetically guy film I've ever seen. I highly recommend it.

more of an up pompeii fan myself oorr er missus

Chief is that a new film, or an old one????

Your good Chief, just got this message and the trailer for the film came on the tele!!!!

i wondered why yesterdays daily mail ran a double page article on the spartans yesterday

edited to add just saw the trailer it's a adaption of a frank miller (sin city) comic book of the battle rather than historic texts

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by,
that here, obedient to their laws, we lie

smoojalooge said:
i wondered why yesterdays daily mail ran a double page article on the spartans yesterday

edited to add just saw the trailer it's a adaption of a frank miller (sin city) comic book of the battle rather than historic texts
Oh dear the inner geek in me is about to pop out

One of the trailers for 300 has a single frame cut in of Rosach, a character from Millers Watchmen, which is in pre-production

Its sent the geek comunity into a tizz

If anyone is interested its about 1 min 52 or 58 in imediatly after the two scarred bints kiss, you can't see it in normal speed you literally have to go frame by frame

Now hangs his headin shame of his geekdom

Oh yeah and I'm really looking forward to this movie

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Well at least the Spartans, probably the most organised military State the Ancient World ever saw had no truck with Poofters.

No, wait a minute......

They were seriously, seriously Hard Bastards, no doubt about it. Makes modern protests about banning Gays from the army look a bit limp (ooh-er missus!).

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Well at least the Spartans, probably the most organised military State the Ancient World ever saw had no truck with Poofters.

No, wait a minute......

They were seriously, seriously Hard Bastards, no doubt about it. This noes tend to makes modern protests about banning Gays from the army look a bit limp (ooh-er missus!).

P.S. Does this mean my set of Watchmen comics in the attic will be worth anything? E-Bay here I come :)

Is it filmed in the same sort of format as Sin City then? I saw a trailer for it somewhere and couldn't make out if it was in some sort of cartoon format.

Blackcat said:
Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by,
that here, obedient to their laws, we lie
In Ancient Greek:

Ω ξείν αγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις οτι τηδε κείμεθα τοις κείνων ρήμασι πειθόμενοι

O xein angellein Lakedaimoniois oti têde keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi

Random_Task said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6446183.stm

Tin foil hat time?
He branded the film "psychological warfare" against Tehran and its people.

But Iranian culture was strong enough to withstand the assault, Mr Shamaqdari insisted.

"American cultural officials thought they could get mental satisfaction by plundering Iran's historic past and insulting this civilization," he said.
Oh, come off it - how many Septics, or Brits for that matter, would know that Iran and Persia are the same place? (Present company excepted, of course.)

This is not the first time Iran has protested over its portrayal in films made in the West.

There was outrage over the 2004 epic Alexander which showed the Macedonian general easily conquering the Persian Empire.
Outrage at being reminded, perhaps? They seem to have a problem with inconvenient historical facts.

Wonder if they would be happier with a movie around the battle of Qaddisiyah portaying a heroic, noble, honourable Persians fighting bravely but eventuially going down to defeat at the hands of the evil, savage Muslim hordes. I suspect not ....

wellyhead said:
One of the trailers for 300 has a single frame cut in of Rosach
Rorschach, surely?

wellyhead said:
a character from Millers Watchmen, which is in pre-production

Its sent the geek comunity into a tizz
Pleasegodletthemmakeawatchmenmovie Pleasegodletthemmakeawatchmenmovie Pleasegodletthemmakeawatchmenmovie Pleasegodletthemmakeawatchmenmovie Pleasegodletthemmakeawatchmenmovie Pleasegodletthemmakeawatchmenmovie

Just don't fu ck it up like they did League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Amen

The trailer looked really shite...they could've had an awesome gritty realistic film but it seems to be comic-based nonsense.

I haven't seen the film so I hope that the quotes from blackcat and chinggis lead me to correctly identify that this centres on the Battle of Thermopylae. For those interested in this campaign, may I thoroughly recommend Steven Pressfield's book Gates of Fire as a good start point.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0553812165/?tag=armrumser-21
I think he is a septic, so consequently it is a little cliched, however it is rather easier to digest than Herodotus, in providing a start point for anyone needing an excellent historical example of:

a) A particuarly brutal use of the delay.

b) Brilliant CAOI by Spartan planners.

Sorry, probably getting slightly over-excited I shall make a tactical withdrawl to the Sapper page, but if stuck in an airport or suchlike do read the book.

Just saw the movie. Great action scenes, some of the best I have seen so far. One scene that took my fancy was the one where these words are uttered by Leonidas in response to a threat by the Persians to black out the sky with arrows: "Good, then we shall have our battle in the shade...," or words to that effect.

On the other hand, the overall feeling I got was that the movie is being used to send a message to the Iranians. Right wing talk radio has already recommended it for an Oscar (claiming that if Al Gore took one for the Dems, '300' should take it for the Reps. Good to see them embrace Hollywood for once. BTW, the heroes -- Spartans-- look incredibly Anglosaxon while the bad guys -- Persians-- look very dark skinned. Coincidence?)

So to me, the movie is a modern equivalent to the WW2 movies called "Why we Fight" that were produced for one purpose and one purpose only: Propaganda.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_We_Fight

Although -- as a collegue pointed out --the Persians seem to represent in military terms, all the US does in the 21st century.

But then, what does he know?

The director is unhappy at how politicized it's been, by both sides. I have to agree. The movie is not a historical film or a political film, it is an ASS KICKING film, based on a comic about ass kicking that was made about 6 years before the Iraq war. It's impossible not to see parallels in a movie about war made right now.

You could argue either way. Are the spartans representing todays islamic fighters who are willing to fight to the death, even against overwhelming military might? Or are the Spartans americans, master warriors and defenders of all things good?

I don't know, nor do I really care. I went to see that movie to witness some epic ass kicking, and I was rewarded.