Spare time in the army

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by leebar, Feb 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey everyone,

I've used the search function that the website has provided in order to gain an answer to my question, but as far as i could see, there were no topics involving my question.

I just wanted to know how much free time if any at all - you get in the army. I understand the amount of time you get to see friends and family etc. differentiate based on whether you're in p1 or p2 training, but i just wanted to know whether i'd get any free time at all to continue one of my hobbies. I understand that the answer is probably not enough time to continue any sort of hobby, but i remember seeing somewhere that you get every weekend off during P2 to do what you want, but whether this is true or not, i don't know.

Thanks in advance!
  2. What hobby?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Are you talking about during training? You don't get time to fart, never mind **** off bird watching. Once in battalion, things are usually more 9-5 ish, barring stagging on (red arses do lots of that) and pre deployment training. Having said that, this is based on cold war warrioring in the 80's and 90's
  4. How much time you get off at the weekends during phase 2 depends on what you're joining.

The hobby you want to pursue will also make a difference. Some phase 2 establishments might have sports clubs/teams you can join.
  5. I say 'hobby' but its more of a lifestyle, i do what's called aggressive skating, you've probably never heard of it, but it would just be nice to know that i might get time to continue doing it now and again.
  6. I can't find the "Where's Frank" video.

That explains it all.
    • Like Like x 5
  7. I've never heard of it, tell Uncle Jarrod all about it.
  8. Ice Hockey is quite big in certain Corps, you can get into that and be as aggressive as you like, drop the gloves and start windmilling.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Please furnish pics ;-)

As for free time, don't count on any in training. Not much either when you reach your unit as being a slick-sleeve private your Lance and Cpls will find plenty for you to do.

View attachment 111202
  10. Is it roller skating in the park on a Saturday afternoon looking like a plonker trying to grind on a raised flower bed or jumping off a park bench attempting a 180 tuck?... am I close?
  11. Im presuming you're taking the piss, seeing as if you were genuinely interested, you probably would have used google by now. If not, then that's slightly ironic seeing as how all you senior members do is rip the shit out of young lads for not using the search function in the forums. Either way, i asked a question. :-*
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Aggressive skating, as in sliding around on benches, railings, pipes and curbs on a pair of inline skates whilst starting fights with skateboarders and BMXers?

You can certainly continue doing it when you do get weekends off and in your spare time when you get to your unit. But, depending how good/clumsy you are and how serious you are about a career in the forces you might need to reconsider it as a pass time/hobby in the future.

Many years ago when Oxygen were still making skates I was known to cut around dressed like a gimp in baggy jeans and making a nuisance of myself in public spaces. I decided to give up after I nearly broke my leg, I decided that my career in the Army was more important than skating.

If skaters are still prone to dressing in baggy shirts and jeans with chains etc then you might also need to consider a wardrobe change, some units aren't as flexible with what people wear in the personal time (whilst on camp) as others.
  13. You mean REME?

My mate's hubby is quite involved with all that. I got told off when the Blades played Bracknell a few hundred years ago and I wore my Bees shirt.

Todd Kelman would still get it though......
  14. Don't be grinding and the like on any of the Armys railings, curbs etc they are a tad precious about such things, other than that, have skates will travel is your motto.
  15. So it's okay for you to ask a question but nobody else? Get over yourself, shitlips. FWIW, I do know what Aggressive Skating is, there was a crab at my last place who did it. I laughed my strides off every time I saw the homo-faggot.

Do you wear a bumbag to keep your dinner money and mobile in as well?