Spare Cash - Where to put it in a Financial Crisis?

A quick precis.

The BH has had a windfall that is going to do all the usual things, pay off credit cards / chunk of mortgage etc etc.

The thing is there will a 5 figure amount left over. Now £1100 will be topping up an ISA (cash), and some of it is intended to do next years contribution to the same ISA.

Whats the best use of the cash left over?

Where do I put it so that it is:

a. Safe

b. Getting a little something back?

Any ideas (other than "My beer fund") welcome. Ta.

under the mattress?

PrayingMantis said:
under the mattress?
Curses! Beat me to it. This does, however, seem to be the only place where it's not likely to dissapear overnight (unless the other half finds it).

What about gold? Seems to be popular just now and sovereigns are easy to swallow if the bailiffs come calling.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Send it to me and I will recycle it. Keep the world happy now and recycle as much as you can.

Ancient_Mariner said:
What about gold? Seems to be popular just now and sovereigns are easy to swallow if the bailiffs come calling.

So should I go into Argos and blow it all on Elizabeth Duke or go a bit more upmarket and go to whatever Ratners are calling themselves these days?

TheBigUn said:
Just done that myself, bought £10,000 worth of premium bonds as that amount won't earn a fortune in interest but I might get lucky and win more than I would have got in interest and premium bonds are guaranteed.

TwentyBandH said:
TheBigUn said:
Just done that myself, bought £10,000 worth of premium bonds as that amount won't earn a fortune in interest but I might get lucky and win more than I would have got in interest and premium bonds are guaranteed.
I never understood the logic of that. The ten shilling premium bonds bought for me when I was born are still no doubt worth 50p. However, you can't buy as much for 50p now as you could back in the day. And I have won absolutely jac-nothing on them in all those years.

Likewise the ones bought in the 'investment club' I joined in the late 70s have also won jack-nothing.

Probably not a good investment, imho.

Grownup_Rafbrat said:
TwentyBandH said:
TheBigUn said:
I never understood the logic of that. The ten shilling premium bonds bought for me when I was born are still no doubt worth 50p. However, you can't buy as much for 50p now as you could back in the day. And I have won absolutely jac-nothing on them in all those years.

Likewise the ones bought in the 'investment club' I joined in the late 70s have also won jack-nothing.

Probably not a good investment, imho.
I agree, not a good long term investment. I'm only going to have them for a year.

TwentyBandH said:
TheBigUn said:
I don't want to sound like I am turning this into a p1ssing contest (girls ask your b/f and he will explain) but I have had £20k in premium bonds for about 6 months and have won 7 x £50 prizes but still hope to win a big one. A guy I worked with recently won £10k from only £483 in bonds - he did however have this £483 in for about 20 years. You pays yer money and you take yer chances.

There is a degree of luck involved with ERNIE, and your luck increases with the size of holding.
CALCULATE IT HERE

Mrs B_S and I have large holdings, and over the last 12 months have an annual return of 3.6%+ tax free. And there was only one big win (£1000).

And it's safe ... 8)

I'd suggest, as others have, tangible commodities - especially gold. Depending on your risk appetite, you might choose to have a punt on Barclays and Santander as well but I'd be very, very careful with that.

blue-sophist said:
There is a degree of luck involved with ERNIE, and your luck increases with the size of holding.
CALCULATE IT HERE

Mrs B_S and I have large holdings, and over the last 12 months have an annual return of 3.6%+ tax free. And there was only one big win (£1000).

And it's safe ... 8)
We're not taking any notice of you. You don't even know the time of day!

:)

(Have you voted yet?)

jarrod248 said:
Rolex watches the guys who fitted my safe at work told me they fit a lot of safes for footballers and they kept Rolex watches as an investment.
That would be enough to put me off - if all those millionaires sold their Swatch Rolexes at once the market would be flooded and the values decrease.

I am in no doubt that there are a few members of ARRSE in a similare position to myself. I have been saving for a house deposit over the past few years and now find myself with a bit of spare cash that I no longer want to use to venture onto the property ladder.

I have also been posted out of the UK and am not currently in a position to closely watch the property market so am willing to tie up the money for a few years. My time away from the UK also gives me the opportunity to build on these savings so I am willing to take some risk with the money for the benefits it may realise.

With the current interest rates being so poor the money is not doing much good sitting in a bank. We have no debt to speak of and little outgoings.

My plan is to invest £4000 in a Stocks ISA for myself and £6000 in another that my wife will hold. We may then add to this with further monthly instalments and use our ISA entitlments as time goes on (I have a cash ISA so my Stocks&Shares allowance will be lower).

The problem is where to invest and any advice on a decent portfolio or recommendations for shares to look at will be a great help. Initially I will be looking at taking a bit of a punt with my allowance on more high risk and my wife will concentrate on low risk options.

Vic

Please don't shoot me down but if you have a risk appetite & 4/5 years then I think that bank stocks are a bargain buy at the moment. They say buy when the canons are roaring and sell when the sun is shining. A great opportunity me thinks. I am about to borrow £10K from my parents & buy RBS stock !