Spanish threaten to block Independent Scotland joining EU

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Wordsmith, Jan 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Wee Eck will love this.

Spain could wield veto over Scotland's EU membership - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

And some more detail (my bold).

Spain has every incentive to block an independent Scotland as it has several regions agitating for independence. England (if it wishes to play dirty) might also oppose Scotland's EU membership. And if Scotland is not a member of the EU, then the additional import tariffs will blow a hole through any financial plans an independent Scotland might have...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Well, well. An interesting development. Wonder what Braveheart Salmond will make of that.
  3. If the English want to play dirty, they can blow the SNP's plans out of the water simply by insisting that Scotland become independent from England. This will cause a Pavlovian response among Scots, who are programmed on a genetic level to do the exact opposite of what the English want.

"You may give us Independence, but we'll never grant you...FREEDOM!!!":threaten:

If St John the Devine was'nt just out of his gourd on Magic Mushrooms, and the End of Days actually happens, millions of Scots will kick down the gates of Hell rather than share Heaven with the English.:twisted:
  4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Surely, in the same vein, England would have to apply for membership as Great Britain/United Kingdom would be no more. Same rules apply, new country, new application and although England rarely plays by the rules and changes them to suit they had better start filling in the application form

Now many on here would see that as a bonus and would hope that Spain (and France) would veto England's entry, but it would be interesting to see how this pans out.
    • Like Like x 5
  5. Sounds like a win-win situation for England!
    • Like Like x 19
  6. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

And if we stop Spanish fishing in our waters that'll be half their fleet out of work.

Difference here is that Scotland is a country not a region such as Basque or Catalonia.

This has been mentioned before but is it really a risk or just bluster and scaremongering from those who are pro-Union
    • Like Like x 3
  7. I would have thought the Whitehall mandarins would have gamed this one out already.

Spain, Italy, Austria and Denmark all have varying degrees of separatist movements.

The French may even get worried about their overseas departments (all in the EU) given the precedent last year set by the Dutch in the Caribbean.
  8. I think the EU logic of it is that the United Kingdom would still exist as England Northern Ireland and Wales and would still be a major EU player and that Scotland would be seen as a breakaway new Nation. Much like if Pays Basque were to become a separate Nation there would be no question that Spain would have to reapply.

I really can't see any EU Nation vetoing one of the few net contributors to the EU just when they need all the money they can get. What would be interesting would be to see what sort of a discount the reduced UK could carve out for itself.
    • Like Like x 4
  9. I have put this link up on a previous thread, but I think it bears repetition.

Doubts over automatic EU entry for an independent Scotland - Politics -

It pretty much answers all your points.

edit Meant to address that to , FF and Auld Yin,
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Why not allow the break up of the WHOLE of Europe in to the various nations, regions, etc. Then build it back up in a United States of Europe fashion...

There's 50 actual States in the USA and a few 'funnies' so it should be doable...

Scotland, Outer Islands, NI, Ireland, IoM, Wales, Cornwall, Yorkshire, Berwick, Merica, England, Channel Islands ... there's 12 just from the UK.

11. I'm not convinced by the Human Rights argument but there are powerful economic arguments. The Scots argument that they are already members of the EU is wrong. They are a member as part of the UK, if they were to become independent then the number of nations in the EU would have to expand by one. That is why they might have to apply.

It is the time scale that may be the biggest problem. Even if the other EU countries voted to accept Scotland it may well take time. Why they would insist on Scotland adopting the Euro is lost on me given the current weaknesses and, since the original report is from 1999 I rather think that wont apply anymore.
  12. So let me get this straight.

1. If the UK wasn't a member of the EU, that would be A Good Thing and A Triumph for Democracy & Common Sense because it would be able to make decisions appropriate to its own circumstances without being over-ridden by the interests of France and Germany.

2. If Scotland wasn't a member of the EU that would be an utterly show-stopping disaster even though it would be able to make decisions appropriate to its own circumstances without being over-ridden by the interests of France and Germany.

Of course. It's all so clear now.
    • Like Like x 5

13. Nothing at all to do with that. Salmond's case is built on the possibly false premise of automatic entry into the EU.

If Scotland has no desire to remain in the EU then there is no problem. No-one is suggesting that Scotland would fare and worse or any better than the rest of the UK outside of the EU.

14. Funnily enough that's very similar to how the grand plan for a "Europe of the Regions" is supposed to work... Divide and Rule, something we should know about.

(Of course the Channel Isles and the Isle of Man aren't actually in the EU.)
  15. This line of arguement of 'who says we can't....' is starting to get a bit repetative. Noone knows how Scotland would fair as an independant country, but it would seem that a large portion of the SNP's vision for the future of an independant Scotland is based on naive assumptions which may not be borne out in the way that they are selling it to the Scottish people.