Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Spanish Support to Russian Naval Assets

Sometimes I really do wonder at some of our NATO 'friends.'

First it was France selling Mistral LHAs to Moscow. Now it's Spain agreeing to refuel the Slava Class CG Marshal Ustonov following operations in the Eastern Med. Madrid previously had an arrangement to support Russian vessels between 2011 and 2016 but this was suspended following pressure from NATO members.
cruiser43.jpg

This is of course manna from heaven for Putin who seeks every opportunity to sow discord between western nations and especially NATO members.

Regards,
MM

Flakey Spain; like the Republic of Cyprus.

Sexy looking ship, though.

So there are no int benefits in allowing a bunch of Russian matelots out on a regular run ashore in a warm climate?

Their N2 mob must really be enjoying this...

That of course is the counter-argument albeit one which, in my view, is less compelling than causing the Russians problems by highlighting their support challenges.

Regrettably, I doubt the Spanish intelligence community is that nuanced although I'd like to think other nations will be there as well.

Regards,
MM

That of course is the counter-argument albeit one which, in my view, is less compelling than causing the Russians problems by highlighting their support challenges.

Regrettably, I doubt the Spanish intelligence community is that nuanced although I'd like to think other nations will be there as well.

Regards,
MM
There is also a counter-counter-argument that here we are saying that Russian Naval Ops are only possible thanks to NATOs largesse. It's morally thin at best, but a wry smile behind the scenes must do wonders to the fragile Russian psyche.

It may be the geo-political equivalent of 'here's a fiver, go up west and buy yourself something nice sweetheart'.

Does Russia lack tankers that can do Replenishment At Sea? Given RASing is a key part of task group operations, do we really want to encourage them to acquire more?

If nothing else this should allow NATO have a good visual look up close.

As others have said, Good for a bit of Close Up Int, delays the Russian's replacing their equivalent of the RFA (if they have one), and so allows NATO to show up the inability for the Fleet to do long deployments without a need to stop off somewhere for Fuel and Rations etc.

Close up imagery is available anytime we want in international waters from helicopters and MPA while the hull design is old so probably not much to be gained from a Buster Crabb type adventure.

Ideal bullseye for those A10s that are adept at pulverising anything they see

Because a slow moving A-10 would last a long time against SA-N-6, SA-N-4, AK-130 and CIWS! ;)

Regards,
MM