Spanish Guerrillas during the Penninsula Wars

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by hillarybriss, May 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Spanish Guerrillas caused Npolean's forces to be stretched and dealing with many fronts, disrupted lines of communication and wrecked havoc in the rear areas. General Thiebault was one of the French governors who attempted to deal with Don Julian Sanchez on the Plains of Leon, I am having real difficulty pinning down the detail of the Plains of Leon during the Penninsula Campaign and what the major military impact was; particularly regarding the French?

Views/Help appreciated.
  2. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

The major military impact was that 2 centuries later overworked staff officers can justify five days in the sun spouting doctrine....

Don't worry - I'll hold the fort.

3. Can you read Spanish? I might be able to find you some sources.
  4. IIRC, there is interesting stuff in W.H. Hamilton : Victories of Wellington and the British Armies (1845-ish and various subsequent edns.)

Worth a note/email to the present Duke of Wellington's archivist at Stratfield Saye. They may well have relevant stuff; and the present Duke is an enthuiast (Lt Col. ex-HCav etc).

Good luck! Do post findings, if exciting.
  5. Many thanks for the help, no to the Spanish I am afraid. I will have a look at the recommendations though.