Spanish (and our other Euro-buddies) Contribution to Iraq

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Ethel_the_Aardvark, Apr 26, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having just seen on this morning's news that we may be sending more troops to the cess pit next to Kuwait I can't help but feel that once again the good old UK is being expected to do far more than her fair share.

Isn't it about time that somebody got a grip of these pathetic other nations (in the loosest sense of the word) who spend all year moaning and bleating about the size and shape of the 'Euro-banana' or what colour we are allowed to paint our double decker buses (provided, of course, that they comply with the latest Euro-directive on seating material)? How can Spain be allowed simply to take their ball home and stop playing halfway through the game? And, more importantly, what about those supposed European Giants (France, Germany etc) - they are happy enough to whinge about not being awarded construction contracts but are seemingly unwilling to make a meaningful military contribution - apart from a few policemen. Germany shouldn't even be able to hide behind its constitution anymore - but somehow manges to.

Why do we always end up as the fall guys with the shitty end of the Euro-stick? Surely the Blair witch can't be expecting too much enthusiasm for a united Europe when it will clearly be only selectively united at the behest of spineless Eurocrats too busy stuffing their faces with bratwurst to actually do anything.

Does that sound like an uneducated rant? If so, sorry but I feel marginally better for it. :(

2. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3658557.stm

Thank you Mr. Soames . I think that told us in great big glowing neon FRO letters, just what the Conservatives will be doing, as regards Defence Spending if you get in.

So doing more with less, and pointing out the dangers inherent in overstretch is just "Huffing and Puffing"?

Oh well.

On top of this , The Cousins are now saying, "If you Limeys can do so much better , there are a few trouble spots that we'll give to you"

Can't have anything upsetting Dubya's bid to steal another election can we? Photos of Old Glory draped coffins can do that for election prospects.

And of course, Bluppet ( May his name resound through the halls of history for 1000 years etc etc) will just say yes to everything , as he tries to secure his place in the annals of History.

What are you going to do if John Kerry wins Prime Minister?

3. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

"Huffing and Puffing"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did the fat old fool really say that - in public??? Out loud???

Well it's unusual for me, but I can't think of anything apropriate to say because I'm too stunned.

And here was I hoping my invite to the sandbox had been lost for another year or so - maybe I spoke too soon.

Scary

4. Ballocks, I'd better dig those dessies out of the actic! I only just put them there!

5. Second Kut anyone?

6. Thing is though, why are we surprised by the line the French and Germans take ? At the time they told us in no uncertain terms that if we went in without the UN we were on our own. Well, we went in anyway and guess what ? We're on our own.

We're the fall guys because our PM was stupid enough to fall for the crap being spouted by the fool running the USA these days. Other European nations are now looking at the mess the US has produced by acting against their advice and are taking the attitude "you made it, you clear it up." And as we are acting as the 51st state in this affair we get our share of the pain as well.

And as far as Spain is concerned, the huge swing away from the old govt was more a protest against their stupid attempts to spin the Madrid bombing rather than a vote to leave Iraq.

7. If Bliar had tried the UN route properly, we wouldn't be in this situation. We should send that lying shit out there, to clear minefields with a pogo stick!

8. Ethel our euro friends are not telling us what colour to paint double decker buses as they have already put the procedure in place to ban them. Instead we will have to use those bendy things you see in Bielefeld which by pure coincidence are only built in France and Germany.

And as for the French taking the moral - Get the UN approval - line, which country was it put up the greatest opposition in the UN.
    Now call me an old cynic but the weekend revelations about how certain people in the UN and certain French middlemen have been making millions from the oil for food programme is it any wonder the French didn't want that particular little trough being stopped.

Hasn't there also been several high profile court cases in France and Germany recently where the French State Oil Coy has been receiving favours and contracts in return for slipping German political parties campaign dosh.

When it comes to morality in geo-politics the French have only one rule FRANCE.

9. Eh? It's the same file.

10. Brilliant! Yep an old one but still a laugh and very plausible

11. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

If this is anything to go by, you won't be the only one....

http://www.land.army.r.mil.uk/landc/hqland/plans/media/pages/cuttings/270404%20-%20IRAQ%20-%20Another%203000%20UK%20troops.pdf

( if the link doesn't work, the Daily Mail's story is
    ' another 3,000 Troops for Iraq')

Presumably, someone's taken a look at the potential footprint we are being asked to take on and gone

' Fcuking hell, Jack....open another box of squaddies...'

Oh, and BTW, did anyone else see the German NBCD contingent parked up in the vehicle park in US base in Kuwait city last year ? Or was I hallucinating again ? I'll put it down to hyponaetremia,just.

Can't say I spotted La Legion Etrangere anywhere in evidence though but... :roll:

Le Chevre
    --

12. Yip, saw the Krauts there in Doha last year. Must have got lost or were they there from the last gulf war and just couldn't be bothered to go home?

Thought the FFL would jump at the chance of going to the desert to relive those glorydays! Never mind, having a spineless worm for a President put paid to that.