Spandau Berlin 77/79

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by Pararegtom, May 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

BBC News - Witness recalls Nazi Rudolf Hess landing in Scotland

Just reading this news, thread and it took me back to my early years in the Bn, Guarding No 7. As we were told not to use his name, Men in Long raincoats and trilby hats, The Dark Prince was a young maj in slime. Checkpoint Charlie was the place to be seen. It was a great posting for a young lad, and had all the makings for the best spy novels. Meeting david bowie in Joes beer house was bizarre Happy days .

2. You must have been in Brooks Barracks with 2Para, I was next door in Wavell bks at the same time! My first posting at 18 years of age, like you say a brilliant posting for a young lad. Watching David Bowie, ELO, Queen etc at the Deutschlandhalle (all the greats wanted to play Berlin), seeing Blonde in a Berlin nightclub, Joes Beerhouse was brilliant, the punk-house, the American PX was huge. Berlin train guard, Spandau guard, Ex Rocking horse - as you say, happy days indeed, thanks for reminding me.

3. I used to love Spandau Berlin when I was younger, though they're a bit dated now. C'mon, sing along!

"Gold! Always beleive in your soooouuuuul......you've got the power to know, you're indestructibaaaaal"

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pararegtom

As it goes , Tony Hadleys dad was in 2Para in Berlin. Not a lot of people know that!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. The pink elephant and grottie chalotties. Was in Montgomery Bks over that period. Great days and the birds at the Harvel were beauties.

6. Ah yes I remember it well

Attached Files:

7. Thought you would.....

8. Pararegtom

That made I laufff,,,,,,

9. I was in Berlin when the man popped it, they built a shopping center on the site - BFBS ran a competition to come up with a suitable name - votes went something like, 1 vote for Britannia Centre, everyone else............................. Hesco's.

I am sure you can guess what it is/was called!! no sense of humor them Germans!

10. I didn't know they'd played in Berlin!

[​IMG]

Right bunch of chutney ferrets anyway....

• Like Like x 1

11. Sorry to ask, but wot the fcuk is a chutney ferret? :)

12. Are you living on some sort of google free diet?

• Like Like x 1
  13. that's twice this week I've engaged fingers, before google - apologies!!

"a male homosexual. One of a set of synonymous phrases (fudge-nudger, turd burglar, etc.) based on the faecal aspects of sodomy".

14. It wasn't all fun, we buried Terry Williams ( KIA near XMG 5/5/73) in the CWGC on Heer Strasse

15. 17/21st Lancers/them??? Or why was a soldier killed in Crossmaglen buried in Berlin? Any links to the story.

I've seen the cemetary, there are a number of burials of Paras and infantry killed mid war, that peaked my interest but I never found out why where or when they were killed.