Spandau Berlin 77/79

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
BBC News - Witness recalls Nazi Rudolf Hess landing in Scotland

Just reading this news, thread and it took me back to my early years in the Bn, Guarding No 7. As we were told not to use his name, Men in Long raincoats and trilby hats, The Dark Prince was a young maj in slime. Checkpoint Charlie was the place to be seen. It was a great posting for a young lad, and had all the makings for the best spy novels. Meeting david bowie in Joes beer house was bizarre Happy days .

You must have been in Brooks Barracks with 2Para, I was next door in Wavell bks at the same time! My first posting at 18 years of age, like you say a brilliant posting for a young lad. Watching David Bowie, ELO, Queen etc at the Deutschlandhalle (all the greats wanted to play Berlin), seeing Blonde in a Berlin nightclub, Joes Beerhouse was brilliant, the punk-house, the American PX was huge. Berlin train guard, Spandau guard, Ex Rocking horse - as you say, happy days indeed, thanks for reminding me.

I used to love Spandau Berlin when I was younger, though they're a bit dated now. C'mon, sing along!

"Gold! Always beleive in your soooouuuuul......you've got the power to know, you're indestructibaaaaal"

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
I used to love Spandau Berlin when I was younger, though they're a bit dated now. C'mon, sing along!

"Gold! Always beleive in your soooouuuuul......you've got the power to know, you're indestructibaaaaal"

As it goes , Tony Hadleys dad was in 2Para in Berlin. Not a lot of people know that!!

The pink elephant and grottie chalotties. Was in Montgomery Bks over that period. Great days and the birds at the Harvel were beauties.

I was in Berlin when the man popped it, they built a shopping center on the site - BFBS ran a competition to come up with a suitable name - votes went something like, 1 vote for Britannia Centre, everyone else............................. Hesco's.

I am sure you can guess what it is/was called!! no sense of humor them Germans!

that's twice this week I've engaged fingers, before google - apologies!!

"a male homosexual. One of a set of synonymous phrases (fudge-nudger, turd burglar, etc.) based on the faecal aspects of sodomy".

It wasn't all fun, we buried Terry Williams ( KIA near XMG 5/5/73) in the CWGC on Heer Strasse

It wasn't all fun, we buried Terry Williams ( KIA near XMG 5/5/73) in the CWGC on Heer Strasse
17/21st Lancers/them??? Or why was a soldier killed in Crossmaglen buried in Berlin? Any links to the story.

I've seen the cemetary, there are a number of burials of Paras and infantry killed mid war, that peaked my interest but I never found out why where or when they were killed.

17/21st Lancers/them??? Or why was a soldier killed in Crossmaglen buried in Berlin? Any links to the story.

I've seen the cemetary, there are a number of burials of Paras and infantry killed mid war, that peaked my interest but I never found out why where or when they were killed.
His Family lived there ,his Dad had married Berliner and the Family had a pub not far from Smuts , there are a lot of POWs in the cemetery but it's mainly RAF, thousands of them

I went to Berlin as a young 18 year old for a week in 73 or early 74. Not sure the exact time now. We had not long returned from Belfast/Divis, my first tour and they sent a small group of us, about a dozen for some familerisation of the city. It was just a week on the piss really. Great fun and while we were only there for a short time, the weather was really hot and a bit of an alcoholic blur now after all this time. I recall lighting up a cigarette on the Ubahn and getting shouted out by the rest of the train compartment to put it out (NICHT RAUCHEN), playing footsie at the railing in front of the Brandenberg Gate and realising we were having our photo's taken from the guard tower and his mate was picking up his AK47, hence our sudden and very quick departure, the Soviet tank complete with Russian guards near the Brandenburg gate which we were told still contained the remains of the crew and I also remember walking past Spandau which was a quite gothic looking building and pondering that a real live nazi was still living imprisoned there. A great week on the lash which is why I don't specifically recall the bars we went to although I do recall being told not to fall asleep on the Ubahn because if you ended up in East Berlin, it would take you a week or two to get back to the west where the army would then begin your sentence in the guardroom for 28 days for being awol for that time spent east.

The other really memorable bit was the journey getting there on the military train. The two Russians walking down the train checking everybody, one of them an officer and his AK47 welding guard, the wooden devices lodged under each door handle so nobody could get into the train from the outside whilst we were traversing between West Germany and West Berlin, the siberian looking soldiers who used to stand by the side of the train tracks as you passed near their barracks and we could see some of the tanks parked up and wonder if they were ever going to come our way. Amazing week seeing a world that stopped existing when the wall came down.

I went to Berlin as a young 18 year old for a week in 73 or early 74. Not sure the exact time now. We had not long returned from Belfast/Divis, my first tour and they sent a small group of us, about a dozen for some familerisation of the city. It was just a week on the piss really. Great fun and while we were only there for a short time, the weather was really hot and a bit of an alcoholic blur now after all this time. I recall lighting up a cigarette on the Ubahn and getting shouted out by the rest of the train compartment to put it out (NICHT RAUCHEN), playing footsie at the railing in front of the Brandenberg Gate and realising we were having our photo's taken from the guard tower and his mate was picking up his AK47, hence our sudden and very quick departure, the Soviet tank complete with Russian guards near the Brandenburg gate which we were told still contained the remains of the crew and I also remember walking past Spandau which was a quite gothic looking building and pondering that a real live nazi was still living imprisoned there. A great week on the lash which is why I don't specifically recall the bars we went to although I do recall being told not to fall asleep on the Ubahn because if you ended up in East Berlin, it would take you a week or two to get back to the west where the army would then begin your sentence in the guardroom for 28 days for being awol for that time spent east.

The other really memorable bit was the journey getting there on the military train. The two Russians walking down the train checking everybody, one of them an officer and his AK47 welding guard, the wooden devices lodged under each door handle so nobody could get into the train from the outside whilst we were traversing between West Germany and West Berlin, the siberian looking soldiers who used to stand by the side of the train tracks as you passed near their barracks and we could see some of the tanks parked up and wonder if they were ever going to come our way. Amazing week seeing a world that stopped existing when the wall came down.

You mean this T34/85

Attachments

If that's the one near the Brandenberg Gate, yes. These day's I just remember the tank being there and two Russian sentries guarding it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
haggler The NAAFI Bar 48
R The NAAFI Bar 27
Brucefeller Current Affairs, News and Analysis 11