• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Spams

I've got a problem with America and I don't know if it's me or are they really a bunch of wankers.

Thing is, I like being British. I love this country - born and bred here - but I can't abide all this American sh*t. We now buy things from the "chiller cabinet" instead of the fridge, my computer spell checks in American, every default is American and it's getting on me tits.

On the UK version of the BBC news, 3 out of 5 headlines are about America. George Dubya is an idiot who'se left a legacy of destruction, who'se caused all the trouble in the world and we are left with the clean up job AND the bill! Blair and Brown have gone the same way and will get away with all sorts of things. it pisses me off.

Our foreign policy is joined up with theirs, so is our economy and i'm wondering where did it all go wrong? As countries go, we seem to be financially, culturally, and morally bankrupt.

I remember when the news was local first, then national, then international and i'm only 40-odd. Look at it now! We all know who the president of America is but who knows who the president of Canada or Australia is without looking it up?

I just want to be British and proud of it - not some yankee lapdog.

comments on the back of a used fiver to the usual address please.

PS - i'd add a pole but i'm a biff.

Farmerbleep said:
I've got a problem with America and I don't know if it's me or are they really a bunch of wankers.

Thing is, I like being British. I love this country - born and bred here - but I can't abide all this American sh*t. We now buy things from the "chiller cabinet" instead of the fridge, my computer spell checks in American, every default is American and it's getting on me tits.

On the UK version of the BBC news, 3 out of 5 headlines are about America. George Dubya is an idiot who'se left a legacy of destruction, who'se caused all the trouble in the world and we are left with the clean up job AND the bill! Blair and Brown have gone the same way and will get away with all sorts of things. it pisses me off.

Our foreign policy is joined up with theirs, so is our economy and i'm wondering where did it all go wrong? As countries go, we seem to be financially, culturally, and morally bankrupt.

I remember when the news was local first, then national, then international and i'm only 40-odd. Look at it now! We all know who the president of America is but who knows who the president of Canada or Australia is without looking it up?

PS - i'd add a pole but i'm a biff.
As a American I have to ask what the hell is a chiller cabinet? Never heard that word before now fridge yea ive heard that before its a shortened version of refridgerator.

I dont think anyone in US has ever refered to a fridge as chill cabinet. The term sounds like a translation of some european term for refidgerator that has be translated into english. Its probally french and there using the EU to force UK to use there termanology.

What goes around comes around. I can just imagine Gandhi saying something similar about us.

We had an advert on the telly a while back where a certain product could be found in the 'chiller cabinet' and it was said with an american inflection.

Oh - I actually don't mind Americans - i've got some cousins in NYC, NY state and Massachusetts and I get on fine with them - we go skiing every year together. My beef is about the erosion of all things British. Don't confuse the two.

Farmerbleep said:
We all know who the president of America is but who knows who the president of Canada or Australia is without looking it up?
WAH!

there is no president for canada for australia as they're in the commonwealth!

I really can't fecking stand the "Just for men" ad with the two annoying daughters and their grating accents ! "You'd be a really nice catch for somebody." "Puh-leeez !" :x AAAARRRRGGGHHH ! :x

But language is a progressive thing, we have plenty of words in our language that have been taken under our wing because we had an empire once, that includes parts of the U.S.A. !

arfah said:
I really can't fecking stand the "Just for men" ad with the two annoying daughters and their grating accents ! "You'd be a really nice catch for somebody." "Puh-leeez !" :x AAAARRRRGGGHHH ! :x

But language is a progressive thing, we have plenty of words in our language that have been taken under our wing because we had an empire once, that includes parts of the U.S.A. !

Like the 'beef' that Farmer has.

Ah but do go confusing Californianisms with USisms!

I've got a couple of friends in North Carolina, and the bloke's blood always boils whenever someone on the TV says 'soda'. As far as he is concerned the term is 'pop'. :D

"PS - i'd add a pole but i'm a biff"

How would that help? Most of them live here anyway don't they?! :wink:

The term 'Boot Camp' really grips my jobby! especially when TV programmes use it for Brits, like the X factor 'boot Camp' and the word 'Intel' aaargh

Minor gripe - words using 'z' instead of 's' - 'capitalization', for example. I'm even starting to say it as 'zee' in my head...

Anyone noticed that the BBC news site writes quotes as 'blah,' (note the comma before the closing quote) - books are starting to do the same, as are newspapers.

Sigh.

I am from the septic side of the pond and have never, ever heard "chiller cabinet". In my part of the US we say "fridge" Perhaps it is a term used by "interior designers". You know, the chaps who say "window treatments" instead of curtains

About computer spell checkers, part of the instructions of every new computer and every software package tells you to set language and time zone defaults for your home area. Check the instructions or look at "preferences" or "tools" on the main menu.

The reason no one knows who the president is in Canada or Australia is that they are constitutional monarchies and have a Queen. IIRC she is a very fine older lady named Elizabeth and she lives in a large home in London. If you visit London you will notice it., There are soldiers out front.

You will note that I have used the term "septic" as I am finally picking up on British rhyming slang. I am now trying to think of words that rhyme with "Brit"

By the way, in my part of the US, the police seem to use the term "petrol" for gasoline. Slang spreads both ways.

Farmerbleep said:
Pretty broad strokes there considering they have something like three hundred million citizens. And I mean, how dare they do things differently from how they do things over here, the cheek of it.

my computer spell checks in American, every default is American and it's getting on me tits.
And? Shock horror, American company writes software and sets the default as English (United States) on the spellchecker. When a British company writes an operating system that can rival Microsoft's Windows in popularity then they can set the default to English (United Kingdom). Besides, it's not as though it takes more than about three clicks of your mouse to change it.

Because they're the world’s largest economy with just over three times the GDP as the next largest country, are the world’s sole remaining superpower and have a highly influential culture that means what goes on over there can have a disproportionately large effect on the world. That and a slice of lazy journalism since it's easier to report on things over there than from say Africa or the Far East and from a completely different culture to western ones. Oh and throwing around insults like idiot then not being able to spell who's in the same and next sentence doesn't really help your case.

And how is that their fault? If there's anything wrong in this country then it's from a domestic British failing. You're sounding like Brown with his pathetic it's all the nasty Americans fault line of argument.

Again how does this in any way relate to how crap the US apparently is? Lack of international knowledge in the general public and rubbish news is once again a purely domestic affair.

You're perfectly free to be British and proud, don't like government policy then tell them to change or you'll vote the feckers out. Enough people do this and they have to change.