Spams violate LOAC?

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by msr, Nov 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

2. Sniper dead, no civvy casualties?

If so, yep. I think they were actually quite reserved.
  3. Come on, did no-one else have a chuckle about 5 seconds after the big boom?
    It's the accent I tell ya!
  4. Restrictive rules of engagement cause friendy casualties, if you need to do something to get the job done as long as it doesn't harm civvies then why not do it? Would you prefer that they risk lives by approaching and entering the building to arrest the naught fellow?
  5. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Looks good to me!
  6. Use of MBT main armanent could be seen as disproportionate given the availability of other weapons eg co-ax MG. However, although the video is unclear, it appears there may be an escalation from, presumably, MG/30mm to 120mm as, presumably, the lighter weapons failed to take effect. It would be fair to ask the commander why this weapon was chosen, but a reasonable answer would probably that the sniper was behind cover and unaffected by lighter weapons. Were civilian casualties caused and should have been anticipated, then the reasonableness of that answer could be in doubt, to my mind. The full situation would need to be borne in mind, however - what realistic alternatives were there?

British forces have used MBT main armament and CAS on 'insurgents' in 'post-conflict' Iraq in justifiable circumstances.
  7. It’s a bl**dy disgrace!! Everyone involved should be dragged into Court, that’s the worst camera work I have seen for years! What sort of lens were these amateurs using?! They will just have to go back and shoot the whole thing again.
  8. Big Boys games...