Spam's questions on the P1908 Cavalry Trooper's Sword

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by warmonger82, Sep 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Okay gents, early this year I picked up a nice replica of a 1908 Cavalry Trooper's Sword (Sabre?) from a Canadian company Military Heritage Weapons and Uniforms (Swords, Muskets and other Sutler Goods) . I have a couple of questions about it though. The sword I bought was naked steel, most of the photos I've seen show them with a olive green finish though, was this done to most swords direct from Wilkinson or was this done by the various cavalry units? The scabbard has loops close to the mouth on opposite sides, was the sword always mounted to a trooper's saddle, or was it strapped onto his side? (if so, what is the method of suspension?) What sword knot was issued to other ranks for the blade? The website offers two http://www.militaryheritage.com/images/knot2.jpg the British Cavalry Buff Leather Sword Knot 1796-1822 and the Universal Field Service Brown Leather Strap and Acorn http://www.militaryheritage.com/images/newknot1.jpg which knot is the correct one? Or are either knots correct?
    Please post as much background info you can on the 1908 Cavalry trooper's sword as I would greatly appreciate any knowledge I can glean from you all. Also, please check out the photos of the sword itself at British Swords and Sabres (Army, Royal Navy, and Scottish Swords) (it'll be close to the bottom of the page)
    Thanks guys

2. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

I think you will find that cavalry regiments tend to do their own thing in the case of all the questions you ask, you would have to be more specific as to which regiment,

3. I'll agree with jim, first.

Secondly, remember you do not have a replica "1908 sabre" designed for use pre-to WW1 and obsolete, you have a "1908 Pattern sabre". From your picture, it seems very similar to the current Pattern 25411 sabre (it may be exactly the same design, I'm not a sword expert), which is in use with the Household Cavalry (although it is different from the ceremonial Pattern 25412 sabre) and King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery. Current pattern is with polished steel blade.

PM me an email address and I'll send you a copy of the relevant section from the current sword specification publication.

4. I knew Tropper wouldn't let us down ;)

5. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Ya call that a knife?

[​IMG]

6. Nah, that's not a knife, THIS is a knife (or possibly knives...)

[​IMG]

7. Quick question on that point...

I know that every cavalry regiment had different and unique patterns for the swords and knots of their Officers, but I thought the Other Ranks in the entire army all used the same trooper's sword and knot throughout the first world war. Learn something new on this site every day though. :)

If I had to choose which regiment to model the pattern 1908 on it would be the 11th Hussars, since I saw the 1960's Charge of the Light Brigade film I've always had a soft spot for the Earl of Cardigan's Cherry Pickers.

8. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

James Brudenell, 7th Earl of Cardigan, was a fine rider who purchased his commission into a fashionable Hussar regiment (15th) despite Daddy's determination to protect the family pedigree from battle. He purchased his way from Lieutenant to Lieutenant Colonel and commanding officer in under six years.

Jealous of those who had fought at Waterloo, he got himself court-martialled for picking on a fellow officer and dismissed by no less than King William. He left 15th Hussars in such a hurry that he rode overnight through a storm to get out of Ireland (where 15H were stationed) in a feat which was worthy of favourable comment.

(James Brudenell, 7th Earl of Cardigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , like most of this reply).

In pride of place in the Light Dragoons Officers' Mess there hangs a renowned picture of the Light Brigade charging the Russian guns. Clearly visible at the back of the picture is Brudenell, riding away. Still got a soft spot for him?

9. I said I had a soft spot for the regiment, not for its commander...
    Besides every one know that the best cavalry commander the British ever had was Oliver Cromwell :D

10. Nope, certainly not the best, though im biased id say Major Smyth of the 16th Lancers at Aliwal, interesting action that.

But I thought the Other Ranks in the entire army all used the same trooper's sword and knot throughout the first world war.

They did if you mean Cavalry

11. I did mean the cavalry troopers

But does anyone know what sword knots enlisted men use with their P1908 cavalry swords during WWI and if the swords were carried on the saddle or from a sword belt?

12. Swords carried from a sword belt or from the saddle in 1914, totally dependant on Regiment as this shows Leicestershire Yeomanry : Dress Regs

Sword knots appear to be Universal Field Service Brown Leather Strap and Acorn The Buff one is to early and wrong colour,

13. Don't tell me. Let me guess. He is from Glasgow isn't he?

14. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

In 1908, cavalry troopers were horses. Trooper did not become a rank for the rider until after the Great War.

15. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer