SPAMS - Involuntary Call-Up of Thousands

This is probably timed to coincide with the handover of power so that Dubya can claim "The Ey-raqi people are requesting our help". I can see Buff Hoon announcing something similar very shortly, although he has bumped up the numbers by rotating more troops in theatre than he is pulling out as part of roulement.

Need to add a little clarification here.

BloodThirstyWench said:
There's a lot of mobbing going on over here, but it ain't necessarily to the Sandbox. And that's all I have to say about that. :wink:

Bush in '04! Yeeee Haaaw! :D
My source for the deployment info is a SFC in the Ohio National Guard, a good friend of mine. I didn't give a location of deployment, because I don't feel the internet is an appropriate place for such things. But we're not exactly preparing for another US invasion anytime soon. 8O

And that last bit was a neo-con redneck joke...for those of you who might not recognize my sarcasm. :wink:

I hear Sudan is nice this time of year

PartTimePongo said:
I hear Sudan is nice this time of year
Sudanese "Weapons of Mass Destruction" blowing up over major American population centers, perhaps?

They can't take a leaf from Mr. Clinton and content themselves with blowing up a Sudanese pharmaceutical factory with missiles?

http://www.mbendi.co.za/indy/oilg/af/su/p0005.htm

The upstream oil industry could be key to the future of the economy of the North East African state of Sudan. Although the country is considered to be vastly under-explored, it has been a producer of oil and gas for a number of years. The country's oil and gas reserves are vast. The downstream oil industry in Sudan is an important sector in the country's economy as Sudan has three refineries and imports both refined product and crude oil. The completion of a new refinery has made Sudan largely self sufficient and able to export refined as well as crude products. Sudan still needs to import jet fuel however.
Best check up me Yellow fever, Typhoid and Hepatitis jabs.

Cynical? Moi?

PartTimePongo said:
http://www.mbendi.co.za/indy/oilg/af/su/p0005.htm

The upstream oil industry could be key to the future of the economy of the North East African state of Sudan. Although the country is considered to be vastly under-explored, it has been a producer of oil and gas for a number of years. The country's oil and gas reserves are vast. The downstream oil industry in Sudan is an important sector in the country's economy as Sudan has three refineries and imports both refined product and crude oil. The completion of a new refinery has made Sudan largely self sufficient and able to export refined as well as crude products. Sudan still needs to import jet fuel however.
Probably just a coincidence.

Absolutely

Now let's see what the right-wing rabble rousing press on the other side of the pond have to say

http://mensnewsdaily.com/archive/newswire/news2004/0401/041304-syria.htm

Syria Shipping WMD Components to Sudan

By Jim Hauser
Talon News
April 13, 2004

Syria, long suspected for hiding some of Iraq's weapons of mass destruction (WMD), is reportedly smuggling missiles and WMD components to Sudan in an effort to conceal them from western intelligence sources.

According to Middle East Newsline, "western intelligence sources said the regime of Syrian President Bashar Assad has been flying shipments of Scud C and Scud D extended-range missiles as well as WMD components to warehouses in Khartoum since at least January 2004. The sources said the Syrian shipments to Khartoum were placed on civilian airliners but authorized and directed by the Defense Ministry."
http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20040409-091306-5456r.htm

LONDON, April 9 (UPI) -- Western spy agencies say Damascus is smuggling missile and weapons of mass destruction components to Sudan so they won't be detected anywhere in Syria.

Since January 2004, Syrian President Bashar Assad has ordered shipments of Scud C and Scud D extended-range missiles as well as weapons components to be flown to warehouses in Khartoum, Middle East News Line reported Friday.

Intelligence sources said the Syrian shipments were placed on civilian airliners but authorized and directed by the Defense Ministry.

"There is widespread concern in the Syrian regime that Damascus will be the next to face heavy U.S. and international pressure to open its WMD facilities in the wake of the Libyan example," a senior intelligence source said.

"The Syrians have decided that they want to take some of their assets out of the country."

Deja Vu 8O

Now if I could just get a dodgy optimistic geological exploration summary for Zimbabwe , and some poor photos of several "water tanks" with the North Korean flag on them in Black Bob's back garden, would we have a go?

Could this be a red herring? Suspect that Dubya does not have the political capital to start another war and that he has frittered away the 9/11 goodwill and outrage. We would really be into uncharted territory if the POTUS starts a war that his people don't want - impeachment, at the least? This may be the case of reservists backfilling SK as the regulars are rotated through Iraq to try and generate a facade of stability.