Spammers.

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by amazing__lobster, Mar 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good/Bad CO,

Could I possibly suggest how we could limit activities of site spammers?

Maybe you could place a limit on how many new threads an individual start within a specific time frame - maybe 1 every 10 minutes, before their account is temporary blocked? And then remove this barrier after say, they have made 50 posts? This might also stop new members posting bone questions, such as "will I get drug tested in training" in multiple forums.

Maybe all new members have to also type in the numbers shown in a picture before they make a normal post for their first 50 posts, as well?

I'm not sure if this would be difficult to implement, but I think something along those lines might reduce the amount of damage spammers can do, without changing the experience for new members.

A__L

2. I also believe it's possible to make the visual recognition more tricky, so that it's all blurred and fuzzy. There is then the option for those with bad eyesight to 'listen' to the code.

Failing that, we need to hunt down the annoying little sh1ts who make these things and make their life briefly very painful indeed. It takes a certain kind of person to actually put their time into making something for the sole purpose of annoying them.

3. What a good idea.
    Edited to add - the original post I mean. As for tracking spammers down - I'd rather not waste the time thanks.

4. A whois lookup for a number of these sites indicate they come out of China

Mods may be aware of recent HMG advice in this area Chinese hacking and that this activity may be more than what it appears to be. :x

5. Couldn’t agree more with the first bit but I’m having a bit of a “blond moment” as Mrs 4-8 would say. Can’t quite understand “Maybe all new members have to also type in the numbers shown in a picture before they make a normal post for their first 50 posts, as well?” I don’t understand how this would help.

6. It would hopefully stop automated bots from making posts.

7. Doh :oops:

You mean like we used to do?

8. Somebody save us from the spammers...

I'm off to have a rant.

F_G

9. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

At work. trying to get those with the right access to sort.

10. Um, maybe at work or otherwise having a life for a few moments?! :)

Just ignore the threads, add to others to keep the spam dross off the front page and the mods will come along with their brooms in good time.

11. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

None taken I just wish that - as dozy says - people would refrain from posting on their threads.

12. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Also I'm busy deleting - and please stop answering them!

13. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I've read the Chinese Intelligence Electronic Surveillance Manual, and the only reference I can find to deception through the placing of clothing spam is in paragraph 3 on page 23. This describes the method as (roughly translated) the "Overt Advanced Adidas Injection Feint", but apparently was replaced in late 2006 by the "Carrot Injection" - sending an operative to the site owner's house to stick burning hot carrots in his ears until he hands over the database.

So I think we're safe as I have checked my ears and they are free of carrots.

14. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Good idea and I will look into this. Thanks

15. That's because I'm a married man and not into that sort of thing in any case.

It's very flattering though.