Spam or scam? Satellite Direct UK

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by putteesinmyhands, Feb 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In the post this morning, I received a mailshot from Satellite Direct UK.

It opened with:

"The initial manufacturer's warranty on your digital satellite (Sky TV) system has now expired and this leaves you open to expensive call out charges and repair costs should anything go wrong!"

I was horrified! I didn't realise that my warranty had expired. It makes sense to have an insurance cover that protects every piece of equipment "against every eventuality except deliberate damage (so if you throw it out of the window you are not covered!)" And the fee is so cheap!

Just a moment, though. I haven't actually got a satellite system. I've never subscribed to any Sky products (and I don't fill in surveys, nor do I ever forget to tick that box that prohibits companies offering me services).

I've googled their name and found a few interesting blogs, most of which suggest a disregard for the Telephone Preference Service and incorrect claims that pre-existing warranties have expired.

Anyone got anything good to say about them (not that it really matters to me, not having a satellite system)?

2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours