SPAM & Military Fitness & Training site

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Pox_Dr, Feb 16, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Did anyone else get SPAM from this Site, as the email address I used to register with this site was used & I only use it for ARRSE. So it appears that someone has been harvesting emails.
  2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I can assure you it wasn't us. We haven't passed on anyone's email address to anybody for anything. To add to that a couple of months ago I turned down an advertiser who asked to add adverts to our newsletters. us: "we don't agree with newsletters... too much like spam". Them: "Good way to get old members back and earn more money". Nope. I hate spam, however well meaning, and wouldn't wish it on anyone else.
  3. PD, Your a victim of spam, nothing else. They transmit into the ether starting at and cover all the bases, a computer can transmit millions of emails an hour - you've just been unlucky. Hotmail filter billions of spam emails a day - and over 60% of internet traffic is said to be spam email (computer weekly quote - sorry dont have a link).

Here's the real question, did you view that email in outlook or outlook express with the preview pane enabled or the option to keep images on the server disabled? If you did, your on their spam list - and your getting more.

To ensure that your not being harvested for email addy's, download adaware and run it regularly. It will do you a favour.

4. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I also had the spam message from the same site, and had one previously promoting their main site, which they tout as the 'premier UK military website'!
  5. Thanks for the reassurance, Good CO
  6. I to recieved rubbish from this site, but have taken things into my own hands & have been visiting & bating the saps that use the site.
  7. To add further advice, why not look at replacing your current mail client with something like Incredimail. It has a superb spam filter, but the best thing is the "Bounce" feature, which allows you to send a standard "Mail Undeliverable" message, purporting to be from your Mail provider's Message Transfer Agent, stating that the email address they sent it to does not exist. I have been using this for some time, and find it very effective (especially as it returns the error message to the address in the message header, not the email address you see as the "From" address - which is often fake.)

If enough people use this type of facility, the spammers inbox will end up filling with "Message undeliverable" messages. They may even exclude your address from future mailings to prevent repeaat errors.

8. Thats really intelligent!! For goodness sake its only spam. Put a block on it.