SPAM about to get crucified by the press......

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Ord_Sgt, Nov 16, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Just spotted this on Reuters;jsessionid=RNPXBXPBDFG2GCRBAEKSFFA?type=worldNews&storyID=621563&section=news

We all know sometimes someone gets shot in the heat of the moment who shouldn’t but you just know the press will crucify this guy no matter what.

Reading between the lines a bit. Injured prisoners left behind unguarded. Someone spots Iraqis in a previously cleared building. Troops get told enemy inside. They go in and see dead and injured but do not know if they are an armed threat/suicide bomber. Assume worst, shoot first ask questions later. Be unfortunate enough to have cameraman with you. Poor bastard.
  2. No Doubt about the fact that they'll crucify him. But he'll probably get off with it by claiming PTSD after getting his grid messed up the day before.
    Or some lawyer will say he shouldn't have been sent back into the area in his fragile state of mind.
  3. Seen it, and as far as "proving" anything as evidence in a possible court case, it is useless, so I would say they would be in the clear (unless there is additional footage I have not seen)

The media will still have their fun though.

Sorry, I have just realised that I may have seen the other case of shooting in "suspicious" circumstances going around the net, not this case.
  4. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

The BBC version of events:

I still think the guy just made a bad call, nothing more than what happens in war. Media spinning it for all it is worth to get plent of mileage. Guess them embeds better start watching their backs a bit more closely. :evil:
  5. From what they showed on Sky it seems to me fairly clear that the Marine saw that one of the five or six bodies wasn't dead, believed that his squad was about to get hit by a suicide bomb and eliminated the problem. The wholly disgraceful part about this was the tone taken by the news agency reporter and the anchorman, both of whose' heavy tones implied that a major atrocity had occurred.
  6. Got to give the man on the spot, the guy putting his neck on the line, the benfit of any doubt.
    Or as they say better to be judged by 12 men then carried by 6.
  7. Saw the footage on BBC1 this morning - from what I saw, I'd have done exactly the same thing - the guy appears to be pretending to be dead, and all signs point to suicide bomb. Hopefully the inquiry will ask 1 question: "Did you believe that your squad were at risk from a suicide bomb or other threat from that guy?" and it'll be case dismissed...
  8. One bloke reacts in the heat of the moment to protect himself and his unit -because we know the enemy are quite prepared to blow themselves up if they can take a few with them- and he is crucified- how the media think that that marine's act outweighs sadistic beheadings in cold blood and blowing kids into red mist... Not really adding to this thread am I?
    Basically don't let embeds near any danger...
  9. but the nasty people do not have to abide by the Rules of engagement, we and the septics do, and unfortunatley for him, thats whats going to possibly have him clenching his arrse cheeks at shower time.
  10. I think that he may only be cleared if it can be proven that the guy he slotted actually had a bomb (or some weapon) on him. Other than that i think the media will dish out his sentence (trial by media!!)

The guys was probabbly right in the action he took, as it is well known (and the facr that 1 of his oppos had been killed in same situation the previous day) that these insurgents use all possible techniques to try and score a kill on the spams.

good luck mate.

Stand up for what you believe in and dont take no sh1t from the lawyers!!!

agent smith
  11. Give the press an inch and they will have done a marathon. They will try to get there pound of flesh, no matter what, and then mouth off about how the Arab world will be in up-roar.

To counter this, why not show the videos of the beheadings and the car bombs to show just how inhumane these animals are :evil:

Press should never be allowed anywhere near the front line, this is what happens when they are. One sided reporting :roll:
  12. All the press is concerned about is a 'story' something to make their name and boost ratings.

Thank f* we didn't have this kind of thing in WWII.
  13. well, errr, we did, but we only used it against the germans. Nuremberg Trials etc.... :oops:
  14. This incident has now appeared on three separate threads, so it has obviously made an impact.

The fog of war seems to have played a major part in this.

The incident does show there was/is no general policy to kill all enemy wounded. Coalition forces had previously been through the mosque but did not kill the wounded. During the later incident shown in the footage, a second wounded insurgent is shown and is not being engaged.

I for one would not criticise the decisions taken on the ground (a) to take the soldier who did the shooting away from the field and (b) to hold an investigation, led by a tough JAG colonel who is there on the ground.

I realise that the presence of the media (and no doubt panic calls from Washington) has played its part in this, but I find the USMC/USN reaction somehow much more reassuring and professional than the reaction to some previous incidents involving other coalition forces.
  15. I just watched the Buggers Broadcasting Communism report on this incident.

The reporter must have been sponsored for how many times she could mention that it took place in a mosque.

More impartial reporting, not in any way editorialised by the BBC then.