Spam. A suggestion.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
There are those who see a spam post and report it in "Please don't reply to spammers." I assume this requires mods to watch that thread.

I hit the Report button, type " Spam", report, then reply, "Reported". I assume the Report button has code that flags the spam more easily than the option above.

It occurs to me that by typing Reported in a reply might appear to legitimise the OP because Oh look somebody's replied. Others look, OP gets more views, maybe that's what he wants?

Wouldn't it be nice if there were a Spam button like Bullsh¡t, SABC, etc. Hit the OP with that, the post immediately appears in Unread Posts marked as spam and users know they don't need to read it. OP doesn't get the hits, same code as behind the Report button tells the mods.

Anyone misusing the Spam button and randomly marking posts of someone they don't like, because it's not the first post, doesn't appear as spam in Unread Posts. Mod action can be taken against misuse of any button.

ugly

LE
I hit the Report button, type " Spam", report, then reply, "Reported". I assume the Report button has code that flags the spam more easily than the option above.
No replying to the thread encourages them, the people they work for pay them on replies etc so not replying starves them.
The report button only alerts the mods for the forum, the rest of us non supermods tend to see the post in the right hand side and spam them that way.
So the CO meant what he said, please dont respond to them, reacting by reporting is fine.
remember though us normal mods dont get paid so aren't always online.

No replying to the thread encourages them, the people they work for pay them on replies etc so not replying starves them.
The report button only alerts the mods for the forum, the rest of us non supermods tend to see the post in the right hand side and spam them that way.
So the CO meant what he said, please dont respond to them, reacting by reporting is fine.
You should recruit those mud rakers and slingers in the Brexit thread - some of them seem to be online 24x7 working in shifts.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Agreed. My thought is that by replying "Reported", I save other people wasting time reporting.

I fully agree with what you say. That's why I'm suggesting a Spam button to mark the OP so in the Unread Post list, like Excellent Topic, etc.

The code could as easily go behind the Report link. My main point is to stick a Spam icon against the post in forum lists.

ugly

LE
Agreed. My thought is that by replying "Reported", I save other people wasting time reporting.

I fully agree with what you say. That's why I'm suggesting a Spam button to mark the OP so in the Unread Post list, like Excellent Topic, etc.

The code could as easily go behind the Report link. My main point is to stick a Spam icon against the post in forum lists.
Sounds far too techy for me, I'd rather have a big eff off hammer

Quiet day in So'ton ALIEN?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Sounds far too techy for me, I'd rather have a big eff off hammer
P¡ss easy for a latter day software designer. As a recently retired 30-year mainframe software engineer, give me code I could do it in a day or two after I've worked out the language. Most of the code will exist, it's knowing how to copy it. Kept me in gainful employment for 30 years.

Apart from a copybook included in all my code to standardise output etc, I doubt I ever wrote an original line of code.

ugly

LE
Right you retired pair of bastids get on with it!

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads