• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Spain Violates Gibralter's Sovereignty (again).

Spanish police have been accused of ignoring protocol and violating Gibralter's sovereignty as they pursued a suspected drug trafficker into UK waters.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-drug-traffickers-into-Gibraltars-waters.html

Why do the Spanish persist in this irritating and pointless type of tail- tweaking? They're not going to go to war with us and they can't afford to maintain the territory they already own. How should we respond to such persistent behavior from a supposed NATO and EU ally?

Last edited:
Maybe you should have agreements like Germany has with AFAIK all of our neighbours, which permit hot pursuit across international borders, as long as the local authorities are being informed ASAP and the scrote handed over to the locals. These agreements have spoiled the day for many scrotes who thought that they could just drive across a border and thumb their nose at the pursuing police. Or, as we do e.g. with the Poles, French and Dutch, have mixed police patrols on both sides of the border, e.g. a police car maked with both German and Dutch markings and a German and a Dutch officer inside.

I doubt that it is in Gibraltar's interest to become a refuge for drug traffickers.

The Gibraltarians are saying that one of the traffickers escaped because the Spanish failed to adhere to the good manners of normal protocol.

Surprising how protective of our waters we are pretending to be. Had the Spanish dispatched a squad of dusky policemen who were fond of facing east then we'd have no doubt helped them in their pursuit and offered them bag meals for their trouble.

Maybe you should have agreements like Germany has with AFAIK all of our neighbours, which permit hot pursuit across international borders, as long as the local authorities are being informed ASAP and the scrote handed over to the locals. These agreements have spoiled the day for many scrotes who thought that they could just drive across a border and thumb their nose at the pursuing police. Or, as we do e.g. with the Poles, French and Dutch, have mixed police patrols on both sides of the border, e.g. a police car maked with both German and Dutch markings and a German and a Dutch officer inside.

I doubt that it is in Gibraltar's interest to become a refuge for drug traffickers.
Fight you for it.

Last time I was there Devil's Tower camp was full of dusky people that like to face east 5 x times a day, with a great big mosque at Europa Point paid for by the Saudis.
The Spanish Police should have some 1970's UK law enforcement training, losing a prisoner then would cost you as much as 3 days pay.
Tries hard, more effort needed.

Don't you think the Spanish might be a bit pissed off that the smugglers are allowed free haven in Gibraltar?
Seems to be a more considered response by the Spanish press:

Gibraltar

As much as I agree that Gib should remain British territory you do wonder sometimes whether the local 'politicians' that govern the place are any better than a Parish Council and should be told that there are certain things - pursuit of serious criminals - where issues of territory come second place. As long as it doesn't start to become a habit......

Sadurian

LE
Book Reviewer
Assuming that it was a legitimate pursuit chasing real drug smugglers (or suspected drug smugglers), then I'd have no issue with a hot pursuit by the Spanish until the Gibraltar police took over.

Bad manners unless they informed the Gibraltar authorities that they were likely to breach sovereignty, but not exactly Little Green Men appearing at military bases. I'm surprised that there aren't formal arrangements in place.

Assuming that it was a legitimate pursuit chasing real drug smugglers (or suspected drug smugglers), then I'd have no issue with a hot pursuit by the Spanish until the Gibraltar police took over.

Bad manners unless they informed the Gibraltar authorities that they were likely to breach sovereignty, but not exactly Little Green Men appearing at military bases. I'm surprised that there aren't formal arrangements in place.
Formal agreements and arrangements would mean admitting Gib's sovereignty, agreeing that Spain has no claim on the rock.

You think that's going to happen?

Didnt the marines invade Spains sovereignty a while back? Fairly sure its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

Formal agreements and arrangements would mean admitting Gib's sovereignty, agreeing that Spain has no claim on the rock.

You think that's going to happen?
Germany and the Netherlands still have an open dispute about where exactly the border at the river Ems is located, but this doesn't stop us from working closely together.

Didnt the marines invade Spains sovereignty a while back? Fairly sure its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.
I think that was a nav error rather than a deliberate policy of harassing your neighbour.

That said this is one of those occasions I feel the Spanish were justified.

I can see Gibs argument though if they don't react to a transgression however justified then they only encourage the Spanish Guarda to become more of a nuisance.

Germany and the Netherlands still have an open dispute about where exactly the border at the river Ems is located, but this doesn't stop us from working closely together.
But you're not the Spanish

Last edited:

Latest Threads